Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2012 :  19:59:08  Show Profile
Yet what you believe does not make it proof ^^.

Either way, even without being able to see emotions in our snakes, it's still possible to tell when they are stressed (e.g. shallow, fast breathing when not trying to smell, increased heartrates, getting into a striking position, stricking, trying to flee, etc.). When I introduce my snakes to a new situation and they don't exhibit any of these (or other) signs of stress, and willingly get back into that situation without stimuli from my side, I believe it's safe to say that they don't dislike it.

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2012 :  02:56:43  Show Profile
Vic...

Your plastic tree is likely made of vinyl(pvc) which releases Lead when exposed to UV (daylight), it's also been treated with flame retardant chemicals (required by law) which degrade over time to release Bromine.

Both of these are toxic and several environmental groups have lobbied governments to restrict or ban them outright because of the health effects in people that are well studied and understood. So yeah, putting them in your tree does carry some risk whether you think it does or not.

Your statements:
quote:
As for them not having emotions, it is not my opinion, it is scientific fact. They are not dogs lol, they are reptiles. I do not believe they feel happiness or sadness or jelousy[sic] or loneliness or any thing like that, which are what id class as emotions
... is using your own personal definition of emotion and so is neither 'scientific fact' or even good logic.

Dictionary .com defines 'emotion' as:
quote:
1) an affective state of consciousness in which joy, sorrow, fear, hate, or the like, is experienced, as distinguished from cognitive and volitional states of consciousness

2)any strong agitation of the feelings actuated by experiencing love, hate, fear, etc., and usually accompanied by certain physiological changes, as increased heartbeat or respiration

Using that definition snakes undeniably do show emotion.

You've made repeated blanket statements, most of which are easily disproved. You're insisting that all snakes feel the same completely ignoring the 5 examples put forth in this thread of animals that voluntarily will enter a shallow pool and might enjoy having something to float on while there. You also saw fit to include a little bit about your tutors at school, assuming they would be in agreement with you but have you actually showed them the photo and asked them? You might be surprised that to learn that your mind reading skills aren't what you think they are...

Further, your very first post clearly states your opinion and the rest of the noise you've made in this thread has been to tell Isodael, Myself and others that we're cruel and our opinions are wrong. Why are you trying to do to us the very same thing you insist we are trying to do to you?

@Gmac/forum mods... I think this thread has gone far enough and would like to suggest it gets locked to keep the irrational stupidity from getting even further out of hand...

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248
Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2012 :  11:31:41  Show Profile
-nods- I agree, this topic would do better if locked / deleted. I never meant for such a heated discussion to start... sorry :(
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2012 :  16:51:54  Show Profile
woah calm down lol.
im just saying i dont think its right.

and as for the xmas tree, get a grip lol.

in my opinion it is unecissary and potentially harmful to the snake.
lets leave it at that shall we?
I know for a fact people do all kinds of daft/pointless stuff with their animals, it is not my fault that i disagree with it. I would only do something that benefits them in some way.

As for 'my mind reading skills' i have no idea what you're referring to there.

and as for irrational stupidity, you just rambled on and on and most of it didn't make any sense.
Lock the thread, like you say i got my opinion accross, but people obviously dont see the stupidity involved.

At the end of the day, the forum is to express opinions, and if i am told i am wrong, i will try and argue other wise, just like any one else would.

Get a grip man, everyone is entitled to put what they think.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

Emmerz
Hatchling

166 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2012 :  17:38:08  Show Profile
QueenVic, don't tell me to calm down, you should focus on cases of actual animal cruelty than of a snake on a lilo, the water looks just a little higher than what you would put them in the bath at. At the end of the day i'm not saying you can't say your opinion because this is a forum, and you're entitled to put what you think/what you like. I just don't agree with the way you came across about it. You came across so strong and if i'd have been the one to put the picture on I would have felt a little un-welcomed. You're not giving this site a very welcome atmosphere when you come across as all confrontational.. (You are probably thinking to yourself..'how can you come across all confrontational when your on a computer/laptop or whatever'.. you can) and I wouldn't have liked what you put. You can express your feelings in a more nicer way. I know i'm no admin or anything but i'm sure many people would agree. Sorry if I upset you in my last post, but at the end of the day Isoldael probably felt awful when you put that. NONE of us are snake experts, NO-ONE is a snake expert, EVERYONE probably will do something to/with there snakes that someone in this ridiculous world won't agree with. At the end of the day I don't think anyone on this forum would abuse/mistreat there snakes, because of there true devotion.sorry again if i've upset you, Emmerz x
Go to Top of Page

Lozzy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1556 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2012 :  18:28:17  Show Profile
QueenVic, i haven't posted on this thread as i don't see anything wrong with the picture as long as it is not scaring or stressing the snake i just wanted to say that from reading your posts you do come across very confrontational and sometimes rude, posting some of the rudest posts i've seen on this forum since joining some months ago..this is an extremely friendly forum (the main reason i enjoy using it so much) and i would like to keep it this way.

Agree this thread has run its course and should be closed now.

0.1 CB10 Snow Cornsnake - Galaxy ~(Currently MIA)
1.0 CB11 Ultramel Anery Consnake -Orion
0.1 CB11 Lavender Cornsnake - Star
0.1 Leopard Gecko-Simo
1.1 Jack Russell-T.J and Harley (Minature)
1.1 Cats-Rascal and Dizzee
1.0 TB Horse-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

Emmerz
Hatchling

166 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2012 :  18:29:20  Show Profile
well said...^
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2012 :  18:35:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lozzy

QueenVic, i haven't posted on this thread as i don't see anything wrong with the picture as long as it is not scaring or stressing the snake i just wanted to say that from reading your posts you do come across very confrontational and sometimes rude, posting some of the rudest posts i've seen on this forum since joining some months ago..this is an extremely friendly forum (the main reason i enjoy using it so much) and i would like to keep it this way.

Agree this thread has run its course and should be closed now.

I agree with this...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000