Year round breeding?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leedxmg
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2012 :  15:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, not really big up on corns but I bought a breeding pair the other day to have a go at breeding before I move on to my royals as they aren't old or heavy enough yet. The male is a creamsicle and the female is a caramel.

Can you breed corns year round? I guess the fertility and egg count would be lower but will they breed successfully?

Also, what would the morphs chances be from this pairing? Finding corn morphs difficult to get my head around!
Help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2012 :  15:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about the year round breeding - i suppose it depends on the lighting/temperatures they are kept at, and how randy the snakes are lol

Morph wise, you'd get 'normals' het amel and caramel
Creamsicles are hybrids so any babies would be hybrids too
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2012 :  15:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes corns can breed at any time of the year, however should only be bred once a year. As for morphs from this pairing, you wont get any corn morphs just hybrids ad creamsicle is hybrid, great plains rat x amel, therefor all babies will be hybrids and not corns

Go to Top of Page

Leedxmg
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2012 :  16:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all!
Go to Top of Page

Leedxmg
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2012 :  17:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

yes corns can breed at any time of the year, however should only be bred once a year. As for morphs from this pairing, you wont get any corn morphs just hybrids ad creamsicle is hybrid, great plains rat x amel, therefor all babies will be hybrids and not corns

So I could basically just throw the male in now and they could possibly lock up ? I'm really keen aha
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2012 :  17:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if they are old enough and big enough and the female hasnt bred this season you could or you could research first isnt just a case nof chucking them together

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2012 :  17:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to ask yourself why you suddenly want to breed. Corns aren't like royals- both lay eggs, which hatch baby snakes, but that's about it.

You will also, as already mentioned, only be producing hybrids, of which there is no real market. Are you willing to look after and pay for however many baby snakes until they finally sell? I have 11 from this year, 5 non/fussy feeders, 6 for sale, all cost me money and take up time.

Have you done your research into breeding? Do you know your female is 100% healthy and ready to breed? How big is she? What weight is she?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Leedxmg
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2012 :  17:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

if they are old enough and big enough and the female hasnt bred this season you could or you could research first isnt just a case nof chucking them together

I've done most of my research, thanks for the info :) just really want to have a bash at breeding! :)
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2012 :  20:39:19  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
chances are they won't breed at this time of year, but even if they do there is an even bigger chance your female won't be ovulating so you won't get any results except a stressed female. The best bet for a good and healthy clutch is to wait for the right time of year (early spring)

The babies would be 'rootbeer' which is a normal coloured corn x emoryi hybrid - you'll probably get about a fiver each for them.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Leedxmg
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2012 :  21:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

chances are they won't breed at this time of year, but even if they do there is an even bigger chance your female won't be ovulating so you won't get any results except a stressed female. The best bet for a good and healthy clutch is to wait for the right time of year (early spring)

The babies would be 'rootbeer' which is a normal coloured corn x emoryi hybrid - you'll probably get about a fiver each for them.

Thanks for that :) can I ask of brumation is essential or not also? You seem to have alot of corns and know what you're talking about! :)
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2012 :  12:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i never brumate my corns and they breed every year

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2012 :  21:28:15  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no, its not necessary with corns

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Leedxmg
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2012 :  14:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

no, its not necessary with corns

Do you have a certain date when you start pairing?
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2012 :  22:07:35  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
usually after the second or third shed of the year, but mine always seem to breed late in the season

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  10:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kev 5

i never brumate my corns and they breed every year

brumation is just for when you wish them to breed at a different time of year to the natural early spring time i think.

I would love to breed mine now, but as its just coming up to winter i dont think ill have much luck.

Is there a way to brumate quickly or is it necessary to do it over a long period of time?

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000