New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rosalie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  11:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before but I need some reassurance about my thermostat I have a microclimate stat and heatmat, and have found since it was all set up that between the stat turning itself on and off the temperature on the digi thermometer reads between 27.5c and 31c, is this normal? I used 3 digi thermometers just to be sure

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  12:01:08  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah they have quite a wide range, I tend to find its most accurate if the sensor is touching the mat (a little blob of fish silacone works wonders there). It won't do the snakes any harm but is useless for incubating eggs, if you are concerned you could invest in a pulse stat but its not really needed for hardy critters like corns.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Rosalie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  13:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks ell glad it's normal, was worried I was doing something wrong, the stat and thermometer probes are both touching the mat but I will def get some fish silicone, great idea
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  18:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would tweek it a little though so its maxing out at 28/29 as 31 is a bit high. Both of mine are on the microclimates and like Ell says there is quite a range between the on and off temps.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  18:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ignore what it says on the thermostat use the thermometer to set it. Keep tweeking til it gets down to.29degrees at its highest should help

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Rosalie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  18:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou, have tweaked it, it's quite difficult trying to get the top temp where you want it as the dial is so tiny, checked with 3 thermometers again though and it is hitting 28.5 at it's hottest, so i'm pleased with that : )
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  01:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive got a couple of microclimates- theyre absolutely bobbins habistat are about the same price but seem to have a narrower range- where my microclimates vary by about 7-8 degrees, the habistat stat only varies by about 4, top to bottom temp-

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

mgtrock
Egg

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  03:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my micro varies by 5-6 degrees, my habistat pulse stat varies by a maximum of 1 degree! they seem so much more accurate!

1.0.0 Carolina Corn (Slash)
1.0.0 British Giant Rabbit (Samson)
Go to Top of Page

Rosalie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  08:46:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must admit I was quite surprised at the temperature range, thought at first i'd bought a faulty stat, I have to wait forever to take lowest and highest readings as the range is so wide, think i'm going to have to invest in one of these habistat pulse stats, would I have to buy a habistat heat mat or would it work with my microclimate one (sorry if it's a stupid question lol)
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  09:10:46  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you have a digital thermometer that should give you ya min an Max reading anyway. Pulse stats can be used with any mat doesn't have to be same brand as the stat itself.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Rosalie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  10:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great thanks, suppose I had better start saving the pennies again lol
Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  10:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Have a Microclimate on/off stat, but the range in temps was far too much for my liking so purchased a habistat pulse and it really is a fantastic stat!

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Rosalie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  11:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi viraleye! it does sound much better than the microclimate, wish I had bought one in the first place, theres always something new for me to learn with these snakeys, i'm def going to be buying one after all the great comments about them : )
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  11:27:07  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The pulse stats are brilliant (i have 2) but their mat stat is perfectly good and mine (i also have 2 of these) only vary by 1.1 deg and they are a bit cheaper.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Rosalie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  13:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Donnie : ) would you mind telling me what make mat stat you are using? After alot of time and tweaking my microclimate is now ranging from 25.5c up to 28.8c so a difference of about 3c which is much better than what it was before, but I would much prefer one that was more accurate, i'm forever checking the temperatures, think i'm becoming abit obsessed lol
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  14:36:26  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Both my pulse and mat stats are habistat. I do also have the microclimate mat stat and like you I was getting about 4 deg variation so took that off and swapped it for a habistat and I now keep that as my spare.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Rosalie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  21:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah thanks for that, I suppose I won't have totally wasted my money as it is always good to have a spare just in case, sid and suki are lovelly by the way : )
Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  22:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep my microclimate as a spare too....you may find it comes in handy when you've been to a pet shop and walked out with a little worm :-)

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  00:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the habistat pulse stats too. I have a microclimate stat on Apollo's faun but the hatchling mat has a habistat pulse stat and it is amazing! I have a spare pulse stat ready for when Apollo moves into a bigger viv or as a spare because although there is a fair bit of deviation on the microclimate, it does stay quite stable and it doesn't seem to affect Apollo.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Rosalie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  09:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Moppet, i'm going to have to invest in one, and I must admit as soon as the thought of a stat going spare crossed my mind so did a little worm to use it, but I must control myself : )
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000