Have a quick question about eggs.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  15:32:11  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have some eggies here and cause they are a month younger than the ones that started hatching today I'm finding it hard to judge if they are actually growing or not. They aren't as soft as my other lot the shells are (for lack of a better word) bouncy but firm. Humidity is as high as I can get it at 98%, temp ranges between 27 and 29C (it seems to drop to 27 over night and build back up to 29 during the morning). I've had 2 of the 19 collapse but they are all pearly white. do eggs have to go yellow if they aren't fertile? or could I just be worrying over nothing? (mum keeps telling me I need to stop worrying about everything so much lol) I'd try shining light on them but they are all stuck together in one big clump of eggieness lol.

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  16:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they are still white then I wouldnt worry.
My clutch this year all dented inwards about 3 weeks before they hatched and they looked really really unhealthy. They also started to go a little yellow but they hatched and the babies are healthy :)

If you can manage to candle any of them you might see something move.. but then again don't think because its not moving its dead cause I couldnt see much movement this year from any of mine.

And as for them being infertile, I think you would have known straight away.. if they are pearly white they sound perfect to me :)
A lot of people have hatched healthy snakes out of eggs that looked terrible

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  16:25:38  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
thanks, they are nice and white I will leave them and see if they hatch, my first clutch started hatching today they were a bit late i'm guessing because of the incubator problems they just hit 73 days so i'll just wait and see what happens with these. :) I'm terrible for worrying these days, i blame the hormones haha

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  16:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im the same, I think i drove a lot of people mad on here while i was waiting for my eggs to hatch.
Had a thread with like 80 odd posts lol

mine started hatching at day 85 so you can imagine my impatience lol!

Good luck anyways, and keep us updated

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  16:29:00  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was trying to google longest hatching times I've read someones eggs hatched healthy babies at 120 days, i think I'd be pulling my hair out by then hahaha

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  16:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i think thats in the kathy love book. It says they must have been incubated at dangerously low temps.

Ive read though that lower temperatures and longer incubation times can have an effect on the amount of non feeders you get (the longer the incubation the less non feeders)
and that longer times lead to heavier hatchlings.

I dont know about the non feeders but all my hatchies were definately bigger than last years that were incubated for 61 days

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  16:40:31  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
These two that have hatched are certainly bigger than last years hatchies who went 65 days, they seem more energetic than them too. Last year I had a few lethargic ones who hatched and didn't survive and had 3 out of the 8 that survived refuse feed. So hoping for better results with this years.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000