New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2012 :  22:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So... on the topic of being able to guess a corn snakes hets from certain visual markers they have. Does anyone happen to know where to find a list of known het markers? If not, I might try to find as many as possible from any source I can to make a nice list somewhere, because I definitely think this is an interesting topic :)

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2012 :  23:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
theres really only a few you can tell from markers, het diffused and caramel are a couple off the top of my head

Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2012 :  23:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in finding more possible het markers as well, using tongue colour for instance. I have no idea if that has any influence, but I'd love to know :)

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2012 :  21:00:54  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
'het markers' as such don't exist. If a het alters the appearance (different from normal and different from homozygous) then its a codominant morph. Take a look at all the codom royal python morphs that look almost identical to normal.

I personally don't buy into the 'het caramel makes a corn more yellow' idea, there is no evidence of this in any of my het caramels and other peoples so is not reliable enough.
The 'het diffused clear line down the belly marker' actually has nothing to do with the diffused gene, that is the masque gene that is responsible. Masque has been isolated from diffused and identified as totally seperate and is a dominant morph which explains how the effects can be seen as a het.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2012 :  12:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing with het markers is - the visual difference is NOT caused by the het gene itself (like you said, that would make it codominant). It's caused by a different gene, that is likely to be paired with the het gene.

An example - animals with blue eyes are more likely to have a genetic defect that makes them deaf. Of course, the blue eye gene itself is not related in any way to being deaf, but apparently animals with blue eyes are more likely to have the "deaf" gene as well.

This means that it's genetically very much possible that het markers exist. The only problem is finding them - and even if you do, they are never 100% accurate. Not all blue-eyed animals are deaf, and not all deaf animals are blue-eyed. It's just an indication.

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2012 :  14:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not deaf!!!!!! Lol

Go to Top of Page

scorpyshake
Egg

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  11:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cobweb251

I'm not deaf!!!!!! Lol

Haha, that's what I will tell my family now, when they going on about me not being able to hear them although my dad had selective hearing :)

0.0.1 Amel
0.0.1 Snow
1.1.0 Bloodred/diffussed
1.0.0 English Mastiff x Rottweiller
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  20:32:06  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WHAT? SPEAK UP!!!!!!

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  22:13:27  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Het motley and het stripe are visible in the same animal, as is het amel and het ultra in the same animal...

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  23:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Visible in what way? I'd really like to make some kind of guide (preferrably with pictures) so people can get an idea of what to breed their snakes with to test for hets :)

It's a shame that I don't have any special het snakes at home, or I'd try to document everything about them to see if there are any possible indicators (pattern on the bottom of the tail, temperament, tongue colour, whatever I could think of). I just think it would be really cool to know such indicators, even if they are never 100% accurate :D

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2012 :  09:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting thread. I always wondered about my Bazilisek. He's a normal, bought from a garden centre who gets the snakes from dealers - so no history or breeding info.
He looked very different from the other hatchlings and the reptile guy there thought he might be het caramel as he had so much yellow on him already:

this is him as bought
since then his saddles are browner with every shed, background is dirty, strawy yellow:

and another couple:

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic