Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  22:02:27  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hey guys as some of you will know

Ive been having a lil trouble with one of my Donnie pickups (sheldon) absolutely refusing to feed hadnt managed to get a single meal in him since i brought him home and ive tried everything and i do mean EVERYTHING including the unmentionable.
Unfortunately though sheldon lost more weight and at the wknd we tried asist feeding (a breeder friend came over there was no way i was going to try it myself) but still no luck its such a shame because hes such a beautifull lil lad and sooo well natured it breaks my heart.
I have had some awesome advice from some of the guys on here and from Pro Corns themselves who have been immensely helpfull and supportive from day one and have really bent over backwards to help so reluctantly i decided that rather than persevereing and risk losing him thatd itd be in his best interests to be returned.
I figured hed stand the best chance of feeding again this has been a huuge blow for me im absolutely gutted i love Sheldon to bits but felt it would be selfish of me to keep trying and then lose him only to regret having not done something to help him when i still had a chance to do so Pro Corns happily took Sheldon back for me and have given me the most beautiful replacement a gorgeous CB12 Phantom Sheldons clutchmate i cant help but feel ive copped out but couldnt bear the thought of losing him so did what i felt was the right thing to do

So id just like to say a huge thankyou to Ads and Debbie from Pro Corns a massive thanks to Gmac for all of the help and advice and support and to everyone else for just being there the new guys below and i have decided to name him Merlin
sorry for the long post guys hope you understand

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake

NexivRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
551 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  22:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that :( But it sounds like you worked really hard for the little guy, and in the end you put him first. I don't see how you can feel bad for that because now he might start feeding and get on well.
You've got a lovely new snake (not replacement) there, and he's lucky to have an owner like you. Love the name too.

R.I.P. 0.1: CB10 Ophion - pewter masque het amel
1.0: CB10 lavender stripe het ??? - Alabaster (Bats) Codify
0.1: CB12 hypo plasma het amel - Nebula
0.2: CB13 diffused 66% pos het cinder - Demeter (Mimi) & Bombulurina (Reenie)
1.0: CB13 hypo cinder ?% pos het amel stripe - Huckleberry
0.1: CB13 anery aztec het amel - Tetris
1.0: CB13 gold dust motley stripe - Helios
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  22:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's beautiful, you definitely made the best decision all round x

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  22:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as you say it was the best thing to do for him and ads has a lot more experience with non feeders. it's not copping out.
merlin is stunning

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  22:19:19  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we did literally try everything including as i say the unmentionable there was nothing more i could do i have big cumbersome hands and zero experiance with non feeders and he was a very teeny 5 gram hatchling id never have forgiven myself if i hurt him in the process of trying to help him believe me when i say ive lost nights and nights of sleep worrying about the lil guy and praying whever ive left food in the rub that itd be gone by morning everytime id get up and initially it appeared to be gone and id be overjoyed for a brief moment till i realised hed just pushed it under something it was heartwrenching to see so ultimately i had to look after his best interests and let him go thanks though guys

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  22:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awh, sorry to hear that, but it does sound like you have done the best for him. Your new snakey Merlin is beautiful, and I love the name too.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Lozzy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1556 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  22:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should be very proud of yourself for being so selfless, well done you! As much as it hurts you did all you can and more for that little guy and you sending him back is very caring and brave of you, you did your very best by him! *hugs*

On a happy note, Merlin is stunning, congrats!

0.1 CB10 Snow Cornsnake - Galaxy ~(Currently MIA)
1.0 CB11 Ultramel Anery Consnake -Orion
0.1 CB11 Lavender Cornsnake - Star
0.1 Leopard Gecko-Simo
1.1 Jack Russell-T.J and Harley (Minature)
1.1 Cats-Rascal and Dizzee
1.0 TB Horse-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  23:03:38  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Paulie as has been mentioned you have made the right choice in doing what is best for Sheldon. You have done all you could for him and do not think of it as copping out because you tried your hardest. Ads and Debbie are more experienced then most people and will continue to do what is best for him and hopefully get him feeding again.
Merlin is a stunning new addition to your collection :)

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  23:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you did all you could, nout to feel bad about. Good luck with merlin.

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  03:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just as every one has said,and Merlin is gorgeous

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Dalymad2
Hatchling

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  09:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The alternative could of been so much worse, you have put Sheldon in the right place for his current needs so dont feel bad, Merlin looks great too.

1.0.0 CORN- FRED ( CAROLINA)
1.0.0 CORN- BARNEY (CAROLINA)
0.1.0 CORN- SNOWDROP (SNOW)
1.0.0 DALMATIAN- SOLO
0.1.0 DALMATIAN- METOO
0.1.0 COLLIE CROSS- LILY
0.1.0 CAT-SOOKIE
0.1.0 AFRICAN GREY PARROT- SPIRIT
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  09:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, that's such a shame, but as everyone has said you did the right thing for him and put him first. Good luck with Merlin, he's so sweet

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  10:15:37  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone i had this silly thought id get lampooned for giving up on him but as i said felt i had to put my feelings aside in his best interests Merlin is absolutely stunning and huge in comparison a lil chunky boy going to be an anxious wait till his first feed though

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  12:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the new 'Merlin' - what a stunner and well done on making what must have been a really difficult decision on passing Sheldon back.

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  15:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lozzy

You should be very proud of yourself for being so selfless, well done you! As much as it hurts you did all you can and more for that little guy and you sending him back is very caring and brave of you,

This... +1

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  15:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As others have said you did what was best for sheldon, keeping any animal means that at some point there is a difficult decision to be made, you did what was the best thing for him and you should be proud that you can put your feelings aside for the health of your animals. merlin is lovely.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  16:26:01  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lozzy

You should be very proud of yourself for being so selfless, well done you! As much as it hurts you did all you can and more for that little guy and you sending him back is very caring and brave of you, you did your very best by him! *hugs*

On a happy note, Merlin is stunning, congrats!

HERE HERE!

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  17:00:31  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys i do know that i did absolutely everything that i could to try and get him feeding but just gutted it didnt work and im kinda feeling guilty about the fact im happy that i have a new snake so kinda conflicting emotions right now Merlins a chunky lil lad though and i cant wait to see how he grows :-)

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  18:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely the right thing mate, don't beat yourself up. Got a couple of mine from Adam and agree great people to buy from and willing to give all the advice you need.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

EmSquem
Yearling

United Kingdom
525 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  20:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You did the right thing by not holding on to him, I hope he'll be okay :( Congrats on the new little one though, my Platinum is called Merlin and it's an awesome name if I do say so myself :P Hope this one works out for you

1.2.0 corns (Star, Eddie and Scarlet)
1.0.0 Sinaloan milk snake (Harry)
1.1.0 Black Labrador (Berry and Buddy)
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  22:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally understand about the conflicting emotions- our very first snake was a teeny hatchy called jake that would NOT eat after arriving here, though he'd had 3 feeds previously at the breeders. I tried everything that was suggested by people on this site, and read kathy love cover to cover- but I just couldn't convince him to eat a pinky.
In the short time we had him we all got quite attached- he was such a little character, but in the end we gave him back to the breeder, who was experienced with stubborn babies. three weeks later we heard that he was back eating again, and he went on from strength to strength. when we got sharon after returning jake, she seemed huge in comparison, at a mighty 8 grams !!
We all adore sharon, who is my 7yo son's snake, and a complete dustbin. she's never refused a meal, and has grown masses over the last year. My son still mentions jake from time to time: it's kind of sad that we didn't have the skills or experience to keep him, but that's tempered by knowing that what we did was the right thing for him.
Long waffly post, sorry about that ! merlin looks lovely, btw

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000