New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jmodjamodj
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2012 :  09:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I am a bit concerned about our baby corn Frank. We have had him now for 6 weeks and he has fed 4 times with no problems. He shed on 29th June in three parts but i was never convinced he had shed from his whole body but could see no where really apart from very tip of his tail that there was any skin left on. Last night we tried to feed him again and he had no interest whatsoever in the pinkie, i had left it a while though in water in its sealed bag cos a friend was here. He was in the box that he came home in from Pets at Home and he kept rubbing his head again and opening his mouth wide, like he had when he needed to shed before. What I am worried about is could he be trying to shed again so early and could that be why he did not want to eat. if he is in the shedding process again I don't want to try and feed him again. Please let me know what you think, maybe i should feed him again???? He seems well, moving around normally but we are inexperienced when different things happen. Thanks x

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2012 :  11:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine will eat while in shed, all four of them. Ginn puts on a bit of a show when she does so, lots of hissing and missed strikes cause she's half blind while in shed!

Some peoples won't eat while they're in shed. Sometimes they open their mouths wide to reset their jaw, sometimes it seems to just be a yawn.

It won't do any harm for your snake to miss one feed - I just got a hatchling back from a 3 1/2 month escape trip and he survived perfectly well - unless he found a hidden stash of pinkies, he hasn't eaten in that time.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2012 :  16:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jmodjamodj

Hi everyone, I am a bit concerned about our baby corn Frank. We have had him now for 6 weeks and he has fed 4 times with no problems. He shed on 29th June in three parts but i was never convinced he had shed from his whole body but could see no where really apart from very tip of his tail that there was any skin left on. Last night we tried to feed him again and he had no interest whatsoever in the pinkie, i had left it a while though in water in its sealed bag cos a friend was here. He was in the box that he came home in from Pets at Home and he kept rubbing his head again and opening his mouth wide, like he had when he needed to shed before. What I am worried about is could he be trying to shed again so early and could that be why he did not want to eat. if he is in the shedding process again I don't want to try and feed him again. Please let me know what you think, maybe i should feed him again???? He seems well, moving around normally but we are inexperienced when different things happen. Thanks x

Sounds like he possibly has retained some of the shed skin to me. On the head and tail tip (the 2 bits you want to keep retained skin free). It is possible that the retained shed has now become irritating and if the eyecaps are still on then reducing Frank's vision significantly.

It could also be that he just got stressed out been left in a box too long.

One missed feed is nothing to worry about though, just check him over again for stuck shed, paying very close attention to the eyes (they will look cracked or crinkly) and the tail tip.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Jmodjamodj
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  08:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I tried to feed him again on Sunday and thankfully he ate and has not been rubbing himself again to shed. I think maybe it was too noisy when trying to feed him and for whatever reason he would not but he ate, he is fine and so so lovely. His first shed with us came in three pieces so am hoping that the next one will be complete.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000