Few egg questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2012 :  15:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I haven't posted in months, but my eggs are due to hatch in at least a week!

First, what do you guys use to house hatchlings? For how long? What do you upgrade to and when? Is there anywhere I can get cheap hatchling boxes online, I have a load of clean cricket tubs but are these large enough and when will I have to upgrade them?

Whats the setup for a new hatchie? How do you heat all the tubs/whatever? Can they be kept together (I wouldn't imagine so due to cannibalism)? I was going to use two long heat mats and line up the tubs along them, but is there a more efficient way to do this without buying two new stats?

And, I found water droplets condensation on a few eggs, the temperature is 27.5-28.5 degrees C, two boxes and the lower one is at 27.5 while the upper is at 28.5. The humidity is 88-100 usually around 90 and I spray the substrate with lukewarm water if its not high enough for my liking.

Anything I need to change? Ideas, advice, tips? All appreciated

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2012 :  16:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I house my hatchlings in cricket tubs lined with a sheet of kitchen towel, a small chutney pot from pound land) for water or you can use milk bottle top. also cut up toilet roll tubes for a hide. they will be allright in these for a few months. 2 long heat mats is exactly how i heat my tubs (just a 3rd of the tub over the mat)

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2012 :  16:28:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can place a layer of sphagnum moss over the eggs which will help soak up any water that drips on them

Edited by - kev 5 on 13/07/2012 16:28:39
Go to Top of Page

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2012 :  16:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome. Thank you! I'll get some moss today to sort that out
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts