Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Elicia
Hatchling

222 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  17:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone bought mice from here before?

Our local store has just started selling them, and as my usual rep store is a good 30 mins drive away I though I would see what theirs were like. I went in and looked in the freezer but couldnt see any so I asked an assistant if they had any frozen mice, she looked really furtive and said "yeah we keep them in the back though" ha ha

I was really pleased with the mice as they come individually sealed in little packets! So its like its only little defrosting bag!

Even though they cost more than the reptile shop (pinks were 4 for 1.40 and small mice were 4 for 2 quid) im saving on fuel as pets at home is only 5 mins from my house.

Normal Corn-Percy
Speckled King-Bumblebee

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  17:40:40  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have bought mice from them in the past with no problems but I need rats as well now which they don't sell so I now get all my rats and mice from another shop which I have to drive 25 mins to get to :(

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  18:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheaper than my local supplier.

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  18:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i get mine from p@h as i don't like the standards of my other local stores. actually i need to go tomorow and get some more!!

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  18:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We get our mice from P@H - they're much cheaper and more reliable in size than our other local suppliers.

Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  18:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I quite like the idea of them being in their own little packets

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  19:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my p@h sell both mice and rats. i tend to go to my local store so i can pick the sizes out myself as i find that p@h mice vary 5g or so between individual sizes :)

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  20:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I buy all my mice from P@H. A little more expensive than some other places but they seem okay quality. Some of them that have been in the freezer in store a long time can be a tiny bit freezer burned, or with legs that fall off when you defrost them (pinks and fuzzies) but most are fine. They do vary in size a lot but that was useful for going up to fuzzies because I could get some really little ones then build up gradually. I tend to request 'small' fuzzies because the big ones are a little large for Apollo still. In a few months time maybe I'll be needing 'big' ones.

Apollo seems to like them :) When I have more snakes I may consider buying from online but until then P@H are quite good.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  20:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I buy mice and rats from p@h, I like the fact they are individually packed (stops creeping people out lol) and quality is good :)

1.0.0 Corn: D-Bo (Amel)
1.0.0 Western Hognose: C*ntyB*ll*cks
0.1.0 MBK: Rosa
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: Zuko
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon: Kobe
0.0.1 Fire Bellied Toad: Snoop
1.1.0 Cats: Penny and Sheldon
1.0.0 Staffy: MooMoo

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  20:38:37  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my local pah is cheaper than my local pet shop but the mice are seriously diddy. much prefer getting them from pet planet ;)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Corrah
Hatchling

United Kingdom
154 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  20:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I buy from P@H as they are cheaper than my local rep stores too and I do like the fact they are individually packed.

Haven't had any complaints from the snakes, although Millie seems to be on hunger strike just now!

C x

Edited for shocking grammar - again! Must be the wine!

1.1.3 Corn Snakes (Altivo, Millie, Peggy, Al & Fraggle)
2.1.0 Cats (Merlin, Floyd & Poppy)

Edited by - Corrah on 08/07/2012 20:43:10
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  22:01:25  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've bought mice from P@H before and they were a little small, which was fine when my girls were little 9 gram shoelaces. I also liked the fact they were in 'bodybags'...

But a work near, or drive past, several reptile shops, so I buy from them to support their trade, and have a poke about the livestock...

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  10:53:07  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have bought from pets at home when ive had too but my problem is theyre sizes are just soooo small ugh

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  11:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought some fluffs from there the other day, and instead of young fuzzy mice I got little fully haired mice.

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  11:02:01  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I disagree with the individual bags as i like to see what i am buying

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  11:47:28  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Georgina

I bought some fluffs from there the other day, and instead of young fuzzy mice I got little fully haired mice.

Don't forget size classification doesn't go on physical size or appearance its all done by weight. It could of been within the suppliers classification for a fuzzy but at the top end of the scale where small or hopper starts.

Shops always get blamed for supplying odd sizes when in reality its down to what they have been supplied.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  12:03:19  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

quote:

Don't forget size classification doesn't go on physical size or appearance its all done by weight. It could of been within the suppliers classification for a fuzzy but at the top end of the scale where small or hopper starts.

Shops always get blamed for supplying odd sizes when in reality its down to what they have been supplied.

Yes i agree this is a problem theres no universal scale for what makes what size some people base it on age of mice some weight and some just gauge a rough size lol but the "small mice" i bought from pets at home were the size of "fuzzies" from all of my regular suppliers lol

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  12:37:42  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulie78

quote:
Originally posted by a33272

quote:

Yes i agree this is a problem theres no universal scale for what makes what size some people base it on age of mice some weight and some just gauge a rough size lol but the "small mice" i bought from pets at home were the size of "fuzzies" from all of my regular suppliers lol

All the online suppliers do it by weight, the problem is as you say no specific industry standard, so one may class a fuzzy as 2-6 g but another may be 2-8. So all of it is down to differant suppliers. One well known site don't even list the weight range they just give you the average weight!!

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  12:47:48  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
all of the online mice ive purchased have been of around eqaul size plus anything bought from private breeders is around the same if slightly larger its only the p and h stuff that is small by comparison however if p and h is your only source of mice ud know no different anyway i guess

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Jmodjamodj
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  14:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I also use P@H as bought our corn (Frank) from there and have not been anywhere else to find pinkies yet. Although from reading all the replies it seems most people are very pleased with them so I will stick to them. I am so amazed at how much I love Frank, my Autistic son was desperate for a pet snake, I was not sure, and we now have had him 4 weeks and it is like he has always been with us. My son loves him, takes him out always and feeds him, he is 7. It really is so pleasurable.
Go to Top of Page

Hanxa
Egg

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  18:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to buy from P@H but found they varied too much in size of a line of fuzzies. Also, they were a little on the pricey side. So now I take the longer trek to JC Exotics and buy them there. I like being able to see the mice I'm buying before I buy them, and also get similar sizes. Plus, the mice are cheaper and are never in the freezer there for too long

1.0.0 Carolina - Aspen
1.0.0 Charcoal - Shadow
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000