Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  15:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone,

Well as the title says last night Conan shed his skin. It has come off in bits though and I'm wondering if that's okay?

His tail bit is all intact and there, and I have found the piece which I think is the underside of his head, but I couldn't see a bit for the top of his head, we are going to have a good rummage round his viv later when he comes out and see if we've missed any bits.

KD - I am going to email you and arrange a day we're both available :-)

ashby_steve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
258 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  16:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be to do with him being over weight? Obviously the skin is tighter on the body so it might result in it not coming off in one piece.

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  17:02:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try to see if there is any retained shed on your snake. if so you run your snake through a damp cloth to try o remove it. next time i'd put a damp moss box in the viv when your snake is in blue (just as the eyes clear). really helps

Go to Top of Page

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  17:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ashby_Steve - thanks, that's what I thought. The previous owner said he hadn't had any shedding problems before, but then again she was feeding him 2 jumbos a week aswell!!

Kev, we will be checking him out later once my OH gets in from work. I'm not quite confident enough to pick him up from the viv by myself yet, we've only had him 5 days. :-)
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  20:30:07  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Sammie. Great to hear he shed. I'l keep an eye on my inbox. If you are not sure if you have got it all and your worried, I can help show you some things to try when I come round if you like.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  21:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karen, I added you on Facebook :-)

We got it all, found his head bit when we took him out of the viv, it was the only bit we were missing. He doesn't have any bits stuck on him and he is all smooth and shiny now! Can't believe the difference lol

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  21:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tuts

No pics??!!

Lol just kidding :) Glad he shed for you and it's all off OK :)

Go to Top of Page

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  21:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll get some on tomorrow, took a few of him when he was out this evening, but I've been on call with work all weekend and I'm afraid I need to sleep now lol.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2012 :  22:27:34  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats great news. I can't wait to meet him - and you and hubby of course

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2012 :  09:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some pictures as promised - It's not easy, he was much more slippery after the shed than I expected! Too fast for the camera lol

The difference between his body and his head! OMG!

And finally, this morning - spot the snake!

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2012 :  09:19:04  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He is lovely. I love the head poking through the substrate shot

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2012 :  09:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking for him for ages this morning before I spotted his head, amazing how much he can really hide himself when he wants to!
Go to Top of Page

ashby_steve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
258 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  12:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great pics :)
just a tip - looks like you're using sawdust/wood shavings as a substrate
the clue is in the name i guess - it can be a bit 'dusty' lol
corns are fairly prone to respiratory infections, and the tiny bits of shavings (the dust) can be inhaled through the nose
best subs for a corn are beech wood chips or aspen, which is similar to sawdust but better.

its not urgent, just maybe next time you clean Conan out i'd consider swapping it out

glad to hear he's getting along well anyway

Edited by - ashby_steve on 20/06/2012 12:30:28
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  14:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not just the dustiness though - don't wood shavings often contain pine? Pine is toxic to snakes so must not be used at all.

He's looking lovely - hard to believe he can hide himself so well lol!!

Go to Top of Page

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  19:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashby_steve

great pics :)
just a tip - looks like you're using sawdust/wood shavings as a substrate
the clue is in the name i guess - it can be a bit 'dusty' lol
corns are fairly prone to respiratory infections, and the tiny bits of shavings (the dust) can be inhaled through the nose
best subs for a corn are beech wood chips or aspen, which is similar to sawdust but better.

its not urgent, just maybe next time you clean Conan out i'd consider swapping it out

glad to hear he's getting along well anyway

Hey,

We were told by the woman we bought him from that this was aspen he was in! Having gone to the pet shop today to buy some aspen, we have realized it isn't, and have changed it immediately when we got home.

So he is now in a nice new cleaned out aspen bedding and leaf covered viv :-) Looks like a whole new home for him :-)

Will get some pics up in a bit!

Pics in the photo section of the forum.

Edited by - MrsDavo on 20/06/2012 19:53:56
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  20:06:17  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think you can get aspen shavings that look like that but it is better safe than sorry :)

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000