Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  15:39:17  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nah! No shares in IKEA but I would happily accept another set as commission.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  17:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well certainly a porker lol, but still a handsome chap. Good luck with getting the weight off and well done for saving him from a life of obesity. Make sure you keep us updated on his progress with you. Oh and don't feel bad about feeding a small mouse less frequently, corns really do seem to thrive on next to nothing :) Mine do anyway

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  18:53:17  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OMG!!! I have just about fallen off my chair in shock. Thats double the weight of my biggest snake. I can tell he is in great hands now. I actually feel sorry for the previous owner if she was left to care for him when her son lost interest, however a little research doesn't take long. After all, You found us and realised that he was being fed too much. I would suggest you still get a guard for your bulb if you are using one. I use energy saving bulbs and still use guards. If you think about how strong he is when he wraps around your hand, he could use that same strength around the bulb and crush it causing him to potentially have lots of nasty glass cuts.
I think it's going to take some time but I'm sure you will get him down to a much healthier weight.

Auld Baldy - Palace, my big girl, went on a diet of one medium mouse a month and with daily exercise soon started losing the weight. SHe was purchased as part of a deal on a viv stack I wanted and I never intended to keep her ( ouch that sounds mean ) so after 6 months, when I was sure she wasn't gravid and was starting to look much healthier, I gave her to a veterinary nurse who was going to continue her diet. I have had reports back that she is doing very well.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Lord Davo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  19:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a friend that works at a lighting firm so should be able to get me an LED strip real cheap so the bulb won't be staying, I have a vent to go over the hole when I take fitting out.
My dad is saving me big cardboard tubes to exercise him with for his viv and going to start some training on the stairs as well, I think just handling him regularly will help him a lot as he used to be in his enclosure 99% of the time which won't happen here.

His wood shavings are Aspen is it advisable to change? If so what would I be best using?

Really pleased with his temperament tho he seems to love people and being out and handled, half the family came to see him last night we had 7 people on the sofa (we have a corner suite half way round the room) he was going from one side and back again over everyone's laps until he did a massive poo on my sister in law don't think she was impressed lol.

Thanks for the comments and help peeps this is a great forum.

Lord Davo

1.0.0 Corn Snake, Carolina Normal (Conan)
0.1.0 Tarantula, Chilean Rose (Esfer)
1.0.0 Dog, Pitbull (Kane)
0.2.0 Cats, Domestic Shorthair (Fudge) (Jessie)

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  21:11:53  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The aspen is fine. Most folk use either aspen or beech wood chips, I use both as I bought bulk bags.

That's the kind of useful friends and family that I wish I had.

I'm afraid that being pooped upon comes with the territory. You will soon learn when it is 'safe to handle'. Tell your sister in law that she should feel honoured at being the chosen one of the evening. lol

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  23:12:14  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He sounds like a real grand chap. And how great that everyone (except perhaps your sister in law now lol) is sharing in the joy of your new family member.

You know, your not a true snake-keeper until you get pooped on and bitten. I'm afraid your sister in law is halfway there before you are

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  18:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments, I see my other half hijacked my thread haha.

Conan is doing really well. We haven't fed him since we got him obviously. We were given 1 jumbo mouse when we bought him, but as he is going on a diet, what size and frequency shall we start off with?

He is in serious need of a diet - he looks like he's about to explode in some of those pictures!

Conan is a lovely tempered snake though, I am really pleased with him. His eyes are back to normal now so wont be long until he sheds - After that I will get in touch Kdlang and you can come and meet sumo Conan for yourself?

Edited by - MrsDavo on 16/06/2012 18:23:44
Go to Top of Page

ashby_steve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
258 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  18:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One large mouse once a month will be fine,
snakes can live for months without eating a thing so don't feel bad for him either lol

im in the other boat unfortunatley, trying to get a snake back up to weight so i kind of know how you feel

hope all is well :)

Edited by - ashby_steve on 16/06/2012 18:31:03
Go to Top of Page

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  19:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashby_steve

One large mouse once a month will be fine,
snakes can live for months without eating a thing so don't feel bad for him either lol

im in the other boat unfortunatley, trying to get a snake back up to weight so i kind of know how you feel

hope all is well :)

Thanks for this - I suppose 1 large mouse a month is a big drop from 2 jumbos a week!

We will keep you updated on his progress
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  19:21:00  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jesus I thought my snake was a right fat tart before the diet but 1500g :o that royal weight, a corn should not really be over 1kg! He actually looks exactly ike my guy before the deit, the tyres and everything except more fat! It is going to take years and years for that weight to come off, just as a heads up, ut every tme you see them shed, you can see the difference it's amazing.

If you read this, it has some tips on reduicing snake weight. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11891&whichpage=1

I'd maybe try 1 small mouse every 2 weeks or a medium a month. Starting at 1 arge a month sounds good but you probably will need to change that in a couple of months as they seem to slow down weight loss or keep the same at a certain point, specially in winter.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  19:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Jesus I thought my snake was a right fat tart before the diet but 1500g :o that royal weight, a corn should not really be over 1kg! He actually looks exactly ike my guy before the deit, the tyres and everything except more fat! It is going to take years and years for that weight to come off, just as a heads up, ut every tme you see them shed, you can see the difference it's amazing.

If you read this, it has some tips on reduicing snake weight. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11891&whichpage=1

I'd maybe try 1 small mouse every 2 weeks or a medium a month. Starting at 1 large a month sounds good but you probably will need to change that in a couple of months as they seem to slow down weight loss or keep the same at a certain point, specially in winter.

We had a read of that thread the other night and I think Conan is worse than that. I'm so glad we rescued him when we did as otherwise I think he would have exploded soon.

He has all those tyre marks and slightly damaged scales as mentioned in that link. Poor Conan.

Should we weigh him every month or every 2 weeks? Obviously we have taken him on, and at the time didn't know the true extent of his weight problem when we did but now we do know we will do all we can to get him back to being healthy. Just hope we got to him in time.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  22:16:35  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Look forward to hearing from you Sammie. I can't wait to see him in the flesh. I really think you have saved his life by taking him on. I'm not sure how much longer his body could have coped with such a strain.

I would probably weigh him every month before feeding so you are sure of getting an 'empty' weight. However, I expect curiosity will probably get the better of you and you will weigh him more often. I know I would lol. Just get a note book going so you can keep a record of his feeding and weight. I weigh my mice too but that may be a bit anal for some people, however it might help you as mice weights can vary alot and you would know exactly what he was being fed.

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  23:15:47  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrsDavo
We had a read of that thread the other night and I think Conan is worse than that. I'm so glad we rescued him when we did as otherwise I think he would have exploded soon.

He has all those tyre marks and slightly damaged scales as mentioned in that link. Poor Conan.

Should we weigh him every month or every 2 weeks? Obviously we have taken him on, and at the time didn't know the true extent of his weight problem when we did but now we do know we will do all we can to get him back to being healthy. Just hope we got to him in time.

I weigh my guy every time he sheds or every other time, there wont be much of a difference really over 2 weeks but sometimes I couldnt help but weigh my guy ever other week :P

I wonder if you will have to help him shed? I know when my guy had massive tyres it would take him forvere stp shed and squeeze out of his tyre sheds! Can't wait to see his guy when he drops the weight.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000