Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  19:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey!

We have just brought home our first corn snake, one that was no longer wanted. He is 4 years old and the woman who we got him from says that she has been feeding him 1-2 jumbo mice twice a week!

But having done our research before we went to get him (and using this lovely site) , we found that they should have one every 10-14 days at that age? Is that correct?

He is very big, about 5ft in length and is quite thick. I'm wondering if she has been over feeding?

We have the full set up here and are looking forward to life with our new addition!

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  19:25:05  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2 jumbos is certainly too much in a week. At that age it will do better on one large mouse every 7-10/14 days. My Big T is 5 feet and that is all I give him and he does fine. The problemis that it is easy to over feed and become obese. Losing weight again is a major problem.

What length and approx weight is he? A couple of pictures would help gauge his build.

Welcome aboard.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  19:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As we have only got him home tonight we haven't been able to accurately weigh or measure him, he's not too happy after the journey so are leaving him to settle in.

The lady said that if he tapped in the glass he is still hungry and she would just give him another ( Which when hearing this I know she shouldn't have been doing! ) I will try my best to get pics on but unsure how you do it! Will have a look and see if I can get one on, it's not a great picture because he is hiding his head at the moment :-)
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:07:30  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's OK. Just leave him for a week to settle in. Just spot clean and change water but don't bother with feeding.
You could tap the glass all day and get the same 'stuff my face' response. Once he's settled just feed one mouse and leave for 24/ 48 hours to digest. In the meantime, carry a napkin or sock next to your body for a day then put it into the viv. This will transfer your scent and help get him familiar to you.
Fire away with any other questions during your wait.

You have to use a picture hosting site like Photo Bucket and link to them from there.Personally I use DropBox which keeps the images on your own hard drive.
Easy to use, download it for free from here: (Link should give us both extra free storage.)
http://db.tt/4yCh9q4

Basic image link nstructions are here.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:27:36  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello, can't add anymore than what Auld has already said but looking forward to your pics and welcome to the addiction. One is never enough :)

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  17:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya!

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have managed to get a couple of pictures of him today, to try and show you the size of him.

One is a little blurry as I was trying to get the pictures through the glass! Oh and also once he has settled and lets us take him out we are going to sort the heat mat wire at the back, you can see in the pic he likes to get himself on the inside of that wire and I'm not sure that's a good idea!

We've decided to call him Conan.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85402111/IMAG1217.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85402111/IMAG1220.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85402111/IMAG1223.jpg

Edited by - MrsDavo on 14/06/2012 18:04:27
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  18:27:26  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When you link to the imaged you need to enclose them in the image tags, that way they will show up in the topic. Click on the small icon with the small yellow envelope shape (4th from left in the Format button bar.) This creates the tags: [img][img] Then copy & paste the DropBox link between the middle brackets.

OK, about snakey. First off he is deep in 'blue'. This is the first stage of shedding. He will stay like this with the blue cloudy eyes and dull scales for about a week. He will probably remain pretty inactive and remain in his hide. Next his eyes will clear and will go back to looking normal for another week or so. After that he will shed and present you with a cast of skin and a new shiny set of properly coloured scales. If all goes well, it should come off like a rolled up stocking. Check the shed skin and make sure that the eye caps and tail tip are included in the shed.
Here's a link to more info and help on shedding:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12296

I'd say a major diet regime is in urgently required as he looks seriously obese. If you can get a full body photo after he has shed and possibly weigh him it will help to figure out how little to give him. At 5' the easiest thing to do is pop him in a pillow case and put him on the scales. (Zero the scales with just the pillow case first.)

Thanks for using my DropBox link. We both should have an extra 500MB storage.

Edited by - Auld Baldy on 14/06/2012 18:36:22
Go to Top of Page

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  18:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

When you link to the imaged you need to enclose them in the image tags, that way they will show up in the topic. Click on the small icon with the small yellow envelope shape (4th from left in the Format button bar.) This creates the tags: [img][img] Then copy & paste the DropBox link between the middle brackets.

OK, about snakey. First off he is deep in 'blue'. This is the first stage of shedding. He will stay like this with the blue cloudy eyes and dull scales for about a week. He will probably remain pretty inactive and remain in his hide. Next his eyes will clear and will go back to looking normal for another week or so. After that he will shed and present you with a cast of skin and a new shiny set of properly coloured scales. If all goes well, it should come off like a rolled up stocking. Check the shed skin and make sure that the eye caps and tail tip are included in the shed.

I'd say a major diet regime is in urgently required as he looks seriously obese. If you can get a full body photo after he has shed and possibly weigh him it will help to figure out how little to give him. At 5' the easiest thing to do is pop him in a pillow case and put him on the scales. (Zero the scales with just the pillow case first.)

Thanks for using my DropBox link. We both should have an extra 500MB storage.

Hi Auld - are you Scottish by any chance?

Thanks so much for your reply - We had gathered info from here and realised he was in "blue" so will be checking when he sheds to make sure that he does it properly, she did say that he had had no previous shedding problems.

With regards his weight - that's what we thought! When she was telling us how much she fed him, I had to bite my tongue - because she told us she had turned down 2 previous contenders for him because they said she was feeding him too much and she wanted him to go to a good home who would feed him properly! We just wanted to save him!

As soon as we can handle him and weigh him we will, and be here for your advice. We certainly don't want to be over feeding him. Do you think we should feed him after the 7 days settling in or should we wait until we have weighed him. He was last fed 3 days ago.

Thanks again for your response it's really helpful, and confirms what we thought!
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  18:43:28  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aye Mrs D ahm fae Glasgow, how did ye guess?

No, don't bother feeding him at all. You are looking at cutting him down to 1 small mouse per month. Might as well get him used to it.

Don't think that this is drastic or being cruel to be kind, big corns can go for 4 months without eating during the breeding season. It is more a worry for the keeper than the snake.

Go to Top of Page

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  19:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was the Auld lol - I am from Scotland too, Dumfries - but live in Chesterfield now!

We will do whatever is needed to get him back to proper health, it is cruel for him to have been feeding him so much! There's a stark difference between the size of his body and his tail, which was what alerted us when we initially went to see him.

Poor Conan :-(

Thanks for all the advice, you've been very helpful!
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  19:18:51  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are welcome. We all love our own snakes and each others. There is little difference between starving a snake and stuffing it until it is bursting. It is probably more cruel to overfeed as it is harder for them to lose the podge. Just fire away with any questions or anything you are uncertain about.

I stayed down in Sandhead at the head of Luce Bay for a year. Caravan, boat, beach and serious fishing. Who needs the Bahamas with the Tigh na Mara only 10 minutes down the beach for a Guinness sundowner/riser. Ha-ha!

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  20:06:33  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi welcome to the forum. Poor Conan really is a big lad. I'm hoping the photos make him look worse than he is because I think he is the fattest I have seen. Mind you on a possible 4 jumbo mice a week I'm not surprised. I think the best thing for you to do at the moment is leave him be until he has finished shedding. He is likely to be quite stressed after the move anyway but being blue could make him extra grumpy. Once he has shed you can get him out although he will probably be a little flighty. You can get a pretty accurate measurement of him by taking a photo of him with something that you know the length of. I usually use a 30cm ruler. Take the photo directly overhead. Then you can use this tool to get a reasonably accurate measurement http://serpwidgets.com/main/measure
Then comes the important weighing in session. I find it's easier to use a plastic tub or shoebox, mainly because mine tend to slide off the side of the scales in a pillowcase. Put the box on the digital scales, zero the scales then add snakey. I can't wait to find out how big he is. Auld Baldy's diet sounds pretty good. With that you will also need some sort of exercise regime. Stairs are fantastic for snakey exercise although you will probably have to help support him to begin with. Also you can stuff his viv full of tubes (toilet roll, kitchen roll, pringles etc - although he may be too fat for toilet roll tubes ) for him to exercise on.
This is a pic of a fatty I had doing her stair exercise

I also live very near to Chesterfield so if you need any help at all just give me a buzz and I can come see you.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

MrsDavo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  20:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Hi welcome to the forum. Poor Conan really is a big lad. I'm hoping the photos make him look worse than he is because I think he is the fattest I have seen. Mind you on a possible 4 jumbo mice a week I'm not surprised. I think the best thing for you to do at the moment is leave him be until he has finished shedding. He is likely to be quite stressed after the move anyway but being blue could make him extra grumpy. Once he has shed you can get him out although he will probably be a little flighty. You can get a pretty accurate measurement of him by taking a photo of him with something that you know the length of. I usually use a 30cm ruler. Take the photo directly overhead. Then you can use this tool to get a reasonably accurate measurement http://serpwidgets.com/main/measure
Then comes the important weighing in session. I find it's easier to use a plastic tub or shoebox, mainly because mine tend to slide off the side of the scales in a pillowcase. Put the box on the digital scales, zero the scales then add snakey. I can't wait to find out how big he is. Auld Baldy's diet sounds pretty good. With that you will also need some sort of exercise regime. Stairs are fantastic for snakey exercise although you will probably have to help support him to begin with. Also you can stuff his viv full of tubes (toilet roll, kitchen roll, pringles etc - although he may be too fat for toilet roll tubes ) for him to exercise on.
This is a pic of a fatty I had doing her stair exercise

I also live very near to Chesterfield so if you need any help at all just give me a buzz and I can come see you.

Hi!

Unfortunately - the photos don't make it look worse, we are shocked at the size of him.

Your advice is really great, and we will weigh him after shedding. If you would like to come round and have a look at him, we wouldn't mind, in fact we would be grateful to know someone close by who is an "expert" in corns. We have done lots of research but obviously that's no comparison for practical knowledge.

We are in Boythorpe, near Queens park.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  22:19:44  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'l be happy to come round if you would like. I live at Pilsley but I am up your way most weekends as my son plays football at Brookfield school. If you drop me an email when he has shed we can arrange a suitable time. Means I can have a little play with him too lol. I certainly wouldn't call myself an expert as I am still learning all the time but it is good to have someone close to share ideas with. My msn email address is in my profile so you should be able to get hold of me on there. I wouldn't bother clicking on the email link as it very rarely works on this forum for some reason. You can also get me on facebook Karen Handbury. My profile pic is a choc labrador.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  09:05:43  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just had another couple of thoughts. I was looking through preloved and I think I'v seen the ad that you got your snakey from. I'v spotted something that I didn't pick up on on your pics as I was so amazed at the size of him. What substrate has she been using in his viv as it looks suspiciously like wood shavings? These are not really very good for snakeys as they can often contain pine and pine is toxic to snakes. I think I also spotted a light fitting which needs to have a bulb guard on it to prevent injury. It does make me laugh that she says she wants a good knowledgable home when she doesn't appear to have bothered herself.

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Lord Davo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  10:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

First post here, MrsDavo's other half if you haven't guessed :-)

I don't want to be too hard on the person we bought him off, she was a really nice lady and obviously thought she was doing the right thing, the snake wasn't hers but her sons who lost interest so she ended up feeding and caring for it. Our main priority is getting him healthy again.
The light is never on there was no bulb in it when we got him, I put a low energy one in there and just turn it on when inspecting or need to see in the tank for cleaning etc, there is a 14w heat mat at other side and temps look perfect.

Ok measured and weighed and it's embarrassing, for him not me lol, a strict diet and exercise regime is in order, I would do the toilet tube thing but he wont fit through one :-0

Length: 5ft 1in
Weight: 1528g

he is BIG!

Few more pics

Measuring - 12 inches is where I folded the tape

Being a good boy sitting in the bowl :-)

OMG! How much!

Showing his fat reserves, not a good shape :-(

Damn he's strong!

Lord Davo

1.0.0 Corn Snake, Carolina Normal (Conan)
0.1.0 Tarantula, Chilean Rose (Esfer)
1.0.0 Dog, Pitbull (Kane)
0.2.0 Cats, Domestic Shorthair (Fudge) (Jessie)

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  12:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Lord 'Davo lol! Wow, he is mega obese, poor love! I think it's really good of you for taking him on - he's not going to like the diet much, but hopefully you'll get him back into shape!! Welcome to the forum guys :)

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  12:43:25  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
welcome guys!!!

poor lamb, bet you're going to do a great job with him :)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  13:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum he does need a course at weight-watchers poor thing. Hope everything goes well with his shed and his diet.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  13:40:29  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mrs D's other half.

WOW! That is a mighty challenge you have with Conan. 1.5 kg puts him in the Sumo Snake class.

Check out a local carpet shop and grab a section of the tubes that carpets are rolled up on. These make ideal hides and exercise areas for him to explore. Cheap (usually free) and easy to cut to size with an ordinary saw or hacksaw.

Even if the lamp is only switched on periodically it still needs a guard as it can still be reached and possibly crushed. A better idea is to fit a LED strip light. Less space taken up, less heat generated and no chance of getting smashed. I use and recommend IKEA 'LEDBERG' strips in three of my vivs.

@KD. How is your fatso's weight doing?

Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  15:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to you both and congrats on rescuing Conan from a life of obesity.
@ Auldy - I think you must have shares in Ikea, you constantly promote their LEDBERG lighting system

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: