Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Theresa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  18:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got my snake out for the first time and it was stressful. I'm very nervous about being bitten so after I finally got up the nerve to pick him up I discovered holding him is not easy either. He is so quick and stressed and kept trying to shoot outta my hands. When will he chill out? also he looked like he was sniffing my hand and then started to open his mouth againsty hand trying to bite but slowly?!!! I lost my nerve and passed him to my boyfriend and he did the same thing? It's not a strike so what is it? Does he think we are food? Also, be honest, does it hurt when they bite? I know he's only small but so are rodents and they can give you a real nip!

Oleary1982
Hatchling

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  18:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I've not been bitten by my snakes I've been told its nothing to worry about and that its more a thing us newbies need to experiance to get over the initail adrenaline rush/panic. But then again urs might b a beast an happily eat u

0.1.0 Citrus Tiger BD
1.0.0 Rainbow Leatherback BD
1.0 Staffie
0.1 Boxer x
0.1.0 Striped Amel
1.0.0 Snow Coral
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  18:23:02  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If he is only a hatchling/yearling then it does not hurt at all. Not been bitten by an older corn so don't know if it would hurt or not.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python

Edited by - Donnie on 10/06/2012 18:24:36
Go to Top of Page

bunzy72
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  18:46:11  Show Profile  Visit bunzy72's Homepage  Click to see bunzy72's MSN Messenger address  Send bunzy72 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ive been bitten by a 2 yr corn snake and for me it was just a lot of preasure it kinda rasps his jaws on me a lil but i just used my other hand to pinch behind its jaws with preasure and she released me. it was my own fault it was a friends corn and he told me she had been acting out of charactor but i picked her up anyway from those i no with corns they still seem to be a good breed to own they really dont strike if they are fed well and kept happy in good conditions. if yours in a hatchling be sure not to keep him/her in to large a container to much space will stress them out.hope you gain some confidance handling them as they can sure pick up on your nurvousness.
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  19:10:22  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When he does try an get away u just need to keep on handling him otherwise he will soon realise that's all he needs to do to get u to put him away.

Do you clean your hands with anything first they often do what you've said when there's traces of something on your skin. Saying that my 4 year old corn went through a period of doing that but it eventually past.

She did get me a few times too an tryed to constrict my hand, trust me there's small furry pets that have bigger teeth an hurt more than a adult corn bite, its more the shock of them doing it than anything.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  19:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Theresa, sounds like you'd benefit from being bitten!

It's no where near as painful as being bitten by a hamster. In fact you'll barely feel it from a hatchling and it'll be over before you know it. Ginn (kingsnake, 18 months + old) only manages to draw blood when she's gripped on and really bitten, she's only done this once and I was on the receiving end, it's not even as bad as being *****ed with a pin or needle. A rodent's teeth are made for biting through things, a constrictor's are only made for gripping and pushing food into it's mouth.

When did you get your snake? (Has it had the 7 days settling in period?) Has it fed recently? Were yours and your partner's hands clean at the time? ...And are you sure it's not a kingsnake? lol Ginn does exactly what you described, it's like watching her try and eat a wall, til she gets clever and goes for a finger.

Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  19:27:07  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ive been bitten by my 4 year old was my own fault. I couldnt be bother to find the long tweezzers and she strike feeds everytime. But she missed bit my finger and coiled my arm. I swear it doesnt hurt. Their teeth are tiny

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

Rachel
Hatchling

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  19:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part of me wants to be bitten just so I know! I remember before I got Neidr I had a hard time choosing between him and a lavender king snake, and there was a mention of 'did the stripe strike at you?' But he never has at me!
I had a really nasty bite off a hamster as a kid.. He bit through my thumb!
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  20:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ember (6 months old) got me the other week and I can honestly say I could barely feel it! Much less painful than hamsters or needles I promise!

Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  20:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hands were clean but clammy out of nerves. I've always been ok holding snakes that are passed to me but picking him up from tank freaks me....and him. I just need more experience. Next time I'm gonna really scrub my hands just incase they had some smell on them. Left him for 7 days. Fed him last Wednesday. Just my luck he does sometime weird first time out! Thanks for the assurance on the pain scale. I too have had a nasty nip from a hamster and that hurt! I don't know what corns teeth look like. I guess they are tiny. If we handle him every day how long will it take for him to calm down?
Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  20:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
**something weird
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  22:44:39  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's proberly picking up on you being nurvous, confidence is the key factor when it comes to handling an picking them up.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

voodoo
Hatchling

162 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  23:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too am a new snake owner, and the first time I handled Hemlock I was pretty nervous. but I decided if he bites, he bites, nothing I can do so just went for it! Ive found the best way is to stroke him slightly near his tail then just scoop him up. that way he has some warning, but doesnt have time to get all stressed about it. once Im holding him, hes absolutely fine. I dont think it would take too long for them to get used to you. have you tried putting something with your scent in the tank? I carried an old clean sock with me for a day, then cut it up and put a bit in each of his hides so he gets used to my smell. now he doesnt seem to bother at all

Edited by - voodoo on 10/06/2012 23:38:31
Go to Top of Page

ZetecVan
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  12:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this thread. I've always wondered myself. I've got a male cat who likes to attack me and even though he's playing, he can forget and really dig his teeth in. And at the weekend my girlfriends hamster had a right old munch on my hand. I've never been bitten by a hamster before so didn't know what to expect.

Sounds like cornsnake bites are a walk in the park in comparison.
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  12:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah they really do not hurt

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  13:11:49  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sonny got me once and im still debating wether he actually did or not cos i couldnt feel a thing

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  13:48:59  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
to the best of my knowledge i havent been bitten yet been headbutted once or twice though lol im getting to the point now where ive been handling all my friends feistier snakes eg carpet pythons boas etc and still not been bloody bitten!! with 13 snakes now and 2 to come im hopijng i will soon just so i can get over the shock of it im sure the shock is worse than the event itself pmsl

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

ashby_steve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
258 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  19:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was bitten yesterday by one of our week old hatchlings and I couldn't believe it,
i'd looked away for a second and then looked down and saw its mouth wide around my thumb!
didn't hurt at all but was really shocked lol

Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  19:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to be bitten just so i know what to expect

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  19:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZetecVan

Thanks for this thread. I've always wondered myself. I've got a male cat who likes to attack me and even though he's playing, he can forget and really dig his teeth in. And at the weekend my girlfriends hamster had a right old munch on my hand. I've never been bitten by a hamster before so didn't know what to expect.

Sounds like cornsnake bites are a walk in the park in comparison.

having been bitten by cats, hamsters and corn, the corn is definalty the one i'd rather be bitten by!!! like others have said it dosen't hurt its more the shock of it.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  20:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just be prepared, Dial 9, 9 then handle the snake. Now you only have to dial that final 9! It should save vital seconds.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000