Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  23:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
should I get?

Not for a while, but eventually I'd like to get a bigger snake.
a python or boa of some sort I think.. what do people recommend that doesn't get stupidly big (like burmese lol)

Been looking through a load on the internet and I didn't realise just how many there are! makes it too hard to choose.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  00:12:50  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Personally i cant wait to get my royals i love their face and the shear variety of them. Dont get me wrong i no theres loads if not hundreds of corns but so far i think theres 400+ morphs of royals and they dont think thats even scrapped the total number of morphs.

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  00:19:21  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Carpet Python, the Irian Jaya is one of the smaller sub-species, i think they generally max out at 6ft. They are still chunkier than a corn but don't get as fat as royals.

* 2.1 Corn Snakes (Arthas - Normal, Tilion - Anery Lav, Yavanna - Stripe) * 1.1 Cape House Snake (Jenson & Ginetta) * 1.0 Carpet Python (Irian Jaya Jag - Grantly) *
* 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Omen) * 1.1.2 Crested Geckos (Brindle, Harley, Noumea & Farino) * 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos (Pazuzu & Vesper) *
* 0.0.1 Mexican Red Leg Tarantula (Aragog) * 1.1 Leopard Geckos (Kara & Darwin) * 1.0 Dog (Labrador - Barney) * 1.0 Cat (Casper) *
* 1.0 Western Hognose (Hamilton) * 1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk Snake (Tweek) * 0.0.2 Common Musk Turtles (Erin & Ira) *
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  00:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Royals are lovely snakes and get much heavier bodied than corns but not really longer. They are not the most active of snake, being totally nocturnal you'll maybe get a face looking at you from a hide just before bed but most of their activity is done in the dark. Oh and because they are heavy when they fall off whatever they are climbing on you will think you are getting burgled.

If you want to go against going bigger and maybe go smaller instead, house snakes are amazing, going up in size then 'dwarf' Boas are brilliant, they can be a bit feisty but its all character lol. Or just go for the beast amongst snakes and get a GTP!

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  01:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
had to search GTPs but they are magnificent lol!
and Dwarf boas are so cute!

I think itll be a python of some sort, I like carpets a lot, and royals too.
Will have to do extensive amounts of research before I make up my mind though :D

Are there any you can think of that grow larger than royals/carpets, maybe like 8-10ft?

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  01:45:14  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A retic python i think they get to about 12ft

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  01:48:50  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I take that bk i just googled how big they grow and it said 34ft

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  01:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought retics were one of the largest snakes in the world :S from like 25 to 30ft? I assume retic means reticulated?

I may just be being dim lol..

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  01:53:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh, haha you must have posted while i was looking too, i was thinking maybe captive breds were smaller or something lol

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  02:04:47  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How about a false water cobra, they get to 10ft, the only thing is they are a little (or maybe a lot) venoumous, but not on the DWA list lol. I so want one, but not for a while yet ;)

* 2.1 Corn Snakes (Arthas - Normal, Tilion - Anery Lav, Yavanna - Stripe) * 1.1 Cape House Snake (Jenson & Ginetta) * 1.0 Carpet Python (Irian Jaya Jag - Grantly) *
* 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Omen) * 1.1.2 Crested Geckos (Brindle, Harley, Noumea & Farino) * 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos (Pazuzu & Vesper) *
* 0.0.1 Mexican Red Leg Tarantula (Aragog) * 1.1 Leopard Geckos (Kara & Darwin) * 1.0 Dog (Labrador - Barney) * 1.0 Cat (Casper) *
* 1.0 Western Hognose (Hamilton) * 1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk Snake (Tweek) * 0.0.2 Common Musk Turtles (Erin & Ira) *
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  02:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:O thats strange, i assumed all cobras would be on DWA, or you'd need some form of license lol!

I absolutely LOVE cobras, but i dont think id want one as a pet haha, dont agree with taking their fangs out at all, and I wouldnt want to be worried about it being venomous, so not for me.
Plus, id be cr***ing my pants if it escaped!

Just had a look at coastal carpet pythons which reach 9ft ish, they're pretty nice.
wonder if there are any non-venemous cobras..... probably not lol.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  02:37:57  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
See this and thought of u lol.

www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DldgAImhXrjk&rct=j&q=false%20water%20cobra&ei=NVXRT-3eLYyt8QPJ4IyNAw&usg=AFQjCNGoRRqacPkIsA94k6nfm_RPSZGfxw&sig2=7-ic4LBRjppwNWFtxbbrzw" target="_blank">http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CHIQtwIwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DldgAImhXrjk&rct=j&q=false%20water%20cobra&ei=NVXRT-3eLYyt8QPJ4IyNAw&usg=AFQjCNGoRRqacPkIsA94k6nfm_RPSZGfxw&sig2=7-ic4LBRjppwNWFtxbbrzw

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  02:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dunno if its just my laptop but those links didnt work :S

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  06:25:40  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It dont work ill try again in a bit

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  07:38:55  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A carpet python of some sort would be (was) my choice. A few different sub species to choose from and a bit of morph variation as well.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  09:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would get a red tailed racer, they grow fairly long but not over the top and they are a lovely colour

Go to Top of Page

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  09:50:53  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well the thing with false water cobras is they arn't actually cobras, they are colubrid like a corn. they have that name because when they are threatned they can create a hood like a cobra. And they arn't on the DWA because they really have to chew on ya before they envenomate, but I still don't want to be bitten by one cause the teeth still do a bit of tissue damage.

I reckon the coastal carpet would be a good option.

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  09:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i might get a royal in the future. see a 2012 hatchling in the pet shiop yesterday,looked really good

Go to Top of Page

Dalymad2
Hatchling

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  11:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have been looking at GTP myself stunning snakes, or a carpet python , will wait a year or so before deciding, good luck with whatever you go with

1.0.0 CORN- FRED ( CAROLINA)
1.0.0 CORN- BARNEY (CAROLINA)
0.1.0 CORN- SNOWDROP (SNOW)
1.0.0 DALMATIAN- SOLO
0.1.0 DALMATIAN- METOO
0.1.0 COLLIE CROSS- LILY
0.1.0 CAT-SOOKIE
0.1.0 AFRICAN GREY PARROT- SPIRIT
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  12:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers :) you too.

gtps are amazing looking arent they! but ive read that they are on the aggressive side..

Gonna have a look into red tailed racers and do a lot more research on false cobras.. there's just so much choice! haha.
Whatever I decide to get, I'll be doing extensive research before I buy one :)

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  15:05:48  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
king ratsnake (stinking goddess), absolutely beautiful species :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000