New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  12:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to Wakefield college in September to do a Level 1 diploma in land based studies and animal care

Hopefully anyway, still need to enroll and find out about fees etc, Can't ring them til Monday though 'cos of half term :(

Can't wait!
Anyone else done this course or a similar one?

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  13:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oohh good luck, sounds really good

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  14:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  17:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck, are you going full time of part time? i did a level 3 course in animal management and i nearly fell of my chair when i asked how much as they said it was free!! so fingers crossed it will be free for you too.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  17:52:01  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lupi lou

good luck, are you going full time of part time? i did a level 3 course in animal management and i nearly fell of my chair when i asked how much as they said it was free!! so fingers crossed it will be free for you too.

There u go bet lou has just made ur year

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  17:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How old were you when you did it?

lol im 21 so im pretty sure its not free.
Think its about £300 and its 20 hours a week.

I think ill go on to do the level two and level threes.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  18:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck, hope it goes well

Go to Top of Page

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  18:35:01  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, my first time round I did lvl3 Countryside Management, now im coming up to finishing my first year of lvl3 Animal Management, dont ask why I decided to do diplomas lol.

You don't need to start with lvl1 you know, if you have enough qualies im sure you would get straight on to the lvl3 and save money not having to do lvl1 & 2.

It certainly won't be free, id already turned 19 when I enrolled for animal management last year it cost about £1100, next year will be £1200. I do really like diplomas as ya can tell, theres a good mix of practical and theory work.

edit - I just thought, I believe if it is your first diploma it may well be free no matter what your age. But im not sure.

Good luck, you will have a great time and its well worth it.

* 2.1 Corn Snakes (Arthas - Normal, Tilion - Anery Lav, Yavanna - Stripe) * 1.1 Cape House Snake (Jenson & Ginetta) * 1.0 Carpet Python (Irian Jaya Jag - Grantly) *
* 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Omen) * 1.1.2 Crested Geckos (Brindle, Harley, Noumea & Farino) * 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos (Pazuzu & Vesper) *
* 0.0.1 Mexican Red Leg Tarantula (Aragog) * 1.1 Leopard Geckos (Kara & Darwin) * 1.0 Dog (Labrador - Barney) * 1.0 Cat (Casper) *
* 1.0 Western Hognose (Hamilton) * 1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk Snake (Tweek) * 0.0.2 Common Musk Turtles (Erin & Ira) *

Edited by - Callazagy on 06/06/2012 18:46:29
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  19:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hadnt thought of going straight to level two or three... what qualifications would i need for them do you know?

I also wanted to know what a diploma is lol.. relevant to GCSE/A level type quals..

And where can you go after level 3? uni? job?
I want to work in a reptile house in a zoo eventually, just wondering if id need a degree to do so.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  19:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was 25 when i did mine, i orginally applied for the level 2 but was moved on to the level 3 as i had gcse c grades, usualy requirments are 3 gcse's at c or above often they take into account that you are a mature learner too. level 3 you can either go on to higher education or job, i now work at the college i studied at as the weekend animal feeder and am hoping to do my certificate in education in september which will enable me to lecture. diplomas are usually the equilant to A level, the one i did is the equvilant to 4 A levels.

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  19:46:18  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think its as simple as 4 or 5+ GCSE's grade D or higher (a pass basicly) including maths, english and science, if u arn't so good a maths or english they usually offer like a top up course that you do along side your diploma, quite easy entry requirements really, and to be honest at age 21 you will easy get on a lvl3 course.

A lvl3 diploma is equivalent to 4 or 5 A levels. Its all coursework based, so no horrible exams at the end of the year.
People seem to think its an easy way through college, but they a equal to A levels and can be just as challenging.

If the opportunity arises you may be able to get a job at a zoo, but they may ask you to do a degree of some kind part-time. Or with a diploma you can go straight on to uni, providing you have enough UCAS points, the amount required depends on the uni. You get UCAS points depending what grades you get in each unit of your diploma i.e. Pass, Merit, Distinction. If you finish your diploma with a triple distinction you should easily be accepted on a degree course and be able to skip the foundation degree, but thats up to you.

I got triple distinction on my first course, but I have no desire to go to uni lol, my attention span is shocking so I don't think id cope with 3 years of 20k word investigation reports or whatever lol.

Another thing, if you want to go straight into a job, work experience/voluntary work is essential! do as much as you can while you are at college. You will probably be required to find a work xp placement anyway in order to complete the course. Im doing my work xp at a falconry centre, im hoping to do a couple of month at balckpool zoo over summer (they do a work xp scheme, its worth checking your local zoo's for the same), then I may find somewhere else aswell next year, perhaps national trust or wetlands trust etc.

Hope this helps, sorry for the essay (wish I could think of that much to write on my current assignment lol).

Chris

* 2.1 Corn Snakes (Arthas - Normal, Tilion - Anery Lav, Yavanna - Stripe) * 1.1 Cape House Snake (Jenson & Ginetta) * 1.0 Carpet Python (Irian Jaya Jag - Grantly) *
* 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Omen) * 1.1.2 Crested Geckos (Brindle, Harley, Noumea & Farino) * 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos (Pazuzu & Vesper) *
* 0.0.1 Mexican Red Leg Tarantula (Aragog) * 1.1 Leopard Geckos (Kara & Darwin) * 1.0 Dog (Labrador - Barney) * 1.0 Cat (Casper) *
* 1.0 Western Hognose (Hamilton) * 1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk Snake (Tweek) * 0.0.2 Common Musk Turtles (Erin & Ira) *
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  20:19:44  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck! College was free for people who started he year who were under 18, any older and you had to pay.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  21:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  19:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lupi Lou and Callazagy thanks for all the info!!
Im dead excited now, just hope i can get onto the course.
Definately gonna try get straight onto the level 2 or 3

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  20:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you need to get a helpful member of staff at the college to explain all your options and be sure you make an informed decision. There should be careers advice companies nearby that can help you with all this information as well as the college won't be unbiased!

(I used to work for a careers advice company, I know they're a bit odd, but they do usually know their stuff about courses you can do)

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  20:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh might be worth having a look into.

Its half term at min so i cant talk to the college til Monday but I have the actual woman who runs the course's number so im gonna have a good chat about it with her.

It seems like the right path for me to go down. initially i was going to do biology and physics at college and then follow that by zoology at uni, followed by herpetology.
But at the moment I dont have enough patience to do 6 years worth of education..
At least if i do this course I will have the choice of uni or going into an animal based job.

Thanks muchly for all the advice people :D

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  15:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also look into going to one of their open days so you can have a look around their animal unit and chat to all the course tutors. shame your not near me other wise i would so be selling our college to you lol!!

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  16:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea, ill ask her when i ring her on monday if theres gonna be an open day.

Where abouts are you from?
Im in Ossett, Wakefield (no one's ever seemed to heard of it hahaha)

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  18:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
am in scunny in north lincs, i've heard of wakefield just not the area your in!

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  18:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh i see. well ill let you know how it goes anyways :)

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  20:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok good luck am sure you will enjoy it, you've meet some news friends too!!! not forgetting to get to go on trips to intersting places

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page