Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tommy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  22:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know its recommended to feed in a RUB for example, but does anyone just feed in the vivarium? i have aspen for substrate in my faunarium and was wondering what you guys think.

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  23:08:38  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Id avoid it wherever possible for fear of the snake ingesting the substrate most snakes will happily eat in a rub its the safest way to feed your snake obviously if you have a shy feeder then thats different and you do what u gotta do but given a choice ill always feed my lot in rubs

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

jamesogt
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  23:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do find this a little confusing.

If they can digest a whole mouse, bones and all how can a small piece of aspen be so dangerous?

Surely in the wild not all their food can be debris free. I can see it being something to avoid, but surely it isn't life threatening.
Go to Top of Page

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  23:39:59  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Personally I feed all of mine in thier vivs, I do usually keep an eye on them but as yet ive had no problem. Most of them instantly strike and coil so the mouse doesn't come in contact with the substrate, if I have to leave the mouse in with them I will put it on a hide or something so it doesnt come into contact with the substrate. Some of mine have beech chip substrate which poses no problems at all, I find aspen bedding does tend to stick to pinks but not really on anything with fur.

Chris

* 2.1 Corn Snakes (Arthas - Normal, Tilion - Anery Lav, Yavanna - Stripe) * 1.1 Cape House Snake (Jenson & Ginetta) * 1.0 Carpet Python (Irian Jaya Jag - Grantly) *
* 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Omen) * 1.1.2 Crested Geckos (Brindle, Harley, Noumea & Farino) * 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos (Pazuzu & Vesper) *
* 0.0.1 Mexican Red Leg Tarantula (Aragog) * 1.1 Leopard Geckos (Kara & Darwin) * 1.0 Dog (Labrador - Barney) * 1.0 Cat (Casper) *
* 1.0 Western Hognose (Hamilton) * 1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk Snake (Tweek) * 0.0.2 Common Musk Turtles (Erin & Ira) *
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  23:45:19  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its more of a risk for the lil hatchlings and suchlike it can cause an impaction its not digested like the mouse would be and wouldnt you rather be safe than sorry i know i would

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  23:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Callazagy

Personally I feed all of mine in thier vivs, I do usually keep an eye on them but as yet ive had no problem. Most of them instantly strike and coil so the mouse doesn't come in contact with the substrate, if I have to leave the mouse in with them I will put it on a hide or something so it doesnt come into contact with the substrate. Some of mine have beech chip substrate which poses no problems at all, I find aspen bedding does tend to stick to pinks but not really on anything with fur.

Chris

I was about to post but id have said pretty much exactly the same as this..
still, aspen may be worse than beech chip for sticking to the mice, i dont know.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  01:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I allso feed in viv just keep a eye.

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  01:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us know how it goes :)

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  01:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the ingestion of substrate problem is because it's cellular fibre, which snakes' digestion systems are not designed for.
i have a king snake that absolutely refuses to eat in a rub, and will only eat in her viv. being a king she tends to drag the mouse around for ten minutes before eating, so the sticky substrate problem is quite major- I've found that after defrosting,(which I do in warm water) if I dry the mouse thoroughly by rubbing it in kitchen roll, like you would after as if it had had a bath, but without using talcum powder afterwards , then its usually dry enough that no aspen sticks to it, however much she drags it around.
hth

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
357 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  06:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i used to feed in a rub but now feed all of mine in the viv as its easier i defrost in water then completly dry the rats off with a hair dryer so theres less chance of any aspen getting stuck/ingested.
a few little bits of aspen wont cause any problems although my rat snake did get a bit stuck in his top jaw an caused a bit of mouth rot but that was bad luck an a very slim chance of it happening again.
with my little hognose i put his pinkys on one of his cardboard hides an he eats off of there

1.0.0 baird's rat snake, jeff 1.0.0 royal, derek 1.0.0 royal, frank 0.1.0 dog jenny 1.0.0 bull snake, ivan 0.1.0 bull snake, mavis 0.1.0 chilean rose, Bernadette 1.0.0 hognose, chuck 1.0.0 BCI, william

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
facebook(mention the forum) http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/profile.php?id=623879643

to live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  09:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i feed mine in a rub and not in the viv. I use beech chips and the chances of one of them going with the mouse is not very likely but they can get aggressive of their viv if being fed there. not a problem when they are small...

Go to Top of Page

Dalymad2
Hatchling

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  10:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If i do feed in the viv I clear a space for the mouse, but normaly feed in a rub.

1.0.0 CORN- FRED ( CAROLINA)
1.0.0 CORN- BARNEY (CAROLINA)
0.1.0 CORN- SNOWDROP (SNOW)
1.0.0 DALMATIAN- SOLO
0.1.0 DALMATIAN- METOO
0.1.0 COLLIE CROSS- LILY
0.1.0 CAT-SOOKIE
0.1.0 AFRICAN GREY PARROT- SPIRIT
Go to Top of Page

Sleeper341
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  10:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Noob question alert!!!!!!

If you feed outside the Viv (eg in a rub) do you return your snakeys back to the viv immediately after they've eaten as I keep reading you shouldn't handle them for a couple of days after a feed. I pressume it's ok once they've eaten to pick them up and put them back in the viv then leave them for a couple of days?

Thanks

1.1.0 cats (Lavender and Bertie)
1.1.0 Corns (Cyrus, Pewter and Daenerys, Caramel)
Go to Top of Page

Dalymad2
Hatchling

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  10:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wait until the lump has moved down a little way then gently return to the viv and all should be good.

1.0.0 CORN- FRED ( CAROLINA)
1.0.0 CORN- BARNEY (CAROLINA)
0.1.0 CORN- SNOWDROP (SNOW)
1.0.0 DALMATIAN- SOLO
0.1.0 DALMATIAN- METOO
0.1.0 COLLIE CROSS- LILY
0.1.0 CAT-SOOKIE
0.1.0 AFRICAN GREY PARROT- SPIRIT
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
357 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  14:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when i used to feed in a rub i would then tip a corner towards the viv door an let them crawl back in.
ive not had any of my snakes be agressive when i go in their viv without food

1.0.0 baird's rat snake, jeff 1.0.0 royal, derek 1.0.0 royal, frank 0.1.0 dog jenny 1.0.0 bull snake, ivan 0.1.0 bull snake, mavis 0.1.0 chilean rose, Bernadette 1.0.0 hognose, chuck 1.0.0 BCI, william

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
facebook(mention the forum) http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/profile.php?id=623879643

to live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  15:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wait until the lump has moved down and then just let them slither out of the rub into their viv

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  16:34:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just put down kitchen roll

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  16:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i viv feed, but mine are also on cage carpet at the minuet so no chance of digesting substrate. i feed using tongs so that my hand isn't associated with food.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  18:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i used to put a 12inch square peice of perspex in the viv and put the mouse on that for one of my snakes that would only eat in his viv

Go to Top of Page

sammicat300
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  19:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started feeding my old snake in the viv as her previous owners told me to do so and then she became viv' defensive so I'd say feed in a RUB

1 Bearded dragon, Bert.

R.I.P Medusa.
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  19:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cobweb251

i feed mine in a rub and not in the viv. I use beech chips and the chances of one of them going with the mouse is not very likely but they can get aggressive of their viv if being fed there. not a problem when they are small...

Cant say mine have ever been aggressive.. then again i guess it comes down to each individual corn snake.

I think if you use tweezers they don't associate your hand with food.
I don't like the idea of using a RUB just cause they need to be put back into the viv after. And for convenience Id much rather just keep them in the viv. Obviously keeping an eye on them, but as long as the mouse is dry i cant see there being any problems.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page