New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1redrum
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  11:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, My son has a vivarium which he got already setup second hand. It has a heat mat one side of it and we were told by the person we brought it of that it needed nothing else. Can you please let us know if a heat mat is enough because we have no heat lamp or daylight bulb?
Thank you

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  11:50:04  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A heat mat is fine for a corn but it needs to be attached to a thermostat to regulate its temperature.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  12:19:16  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The heatmat ideally wants to be 1/3-1/2 the size of your viv and attached to a thermostat to prevent it getting too hot. If you have those 2 correctly set up then you don't ned to have any additional heat bulbs. Also corns don't need additional light unless being kept in a dark place. If you put a lightbulb in your viv make sure it's an energy saving bulb and protected by a bulb guard or you can use LED lights

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

1redrum
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  23:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your advice it is really helpful. Please can you let me know how do you attach the thermostat to the heat mat and what temp should it be at? Also have you got any ideas where to get them at a good price and which one should I be looking for? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  23:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
surreypets is the cheapest online x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  23:58:15  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The mat plugs into the stat and then the stat plugs into the wall socket and it should be about 28 deg centigrade which you will need to monitor with a digital thermometer.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  08:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a habistat mat stat will be o.k. as georgina says surrey pet supplies is the cheapest place i've found. it's best to use a digital thermometer with a probe. the thermostst and thermometer probes need to be placed directly on the heat mat

Go to Top of Page

1redrum
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  14:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anybody used rsrepiles.co.uk to buy frozen mice?
The place I usually buy from locally is a bit expensive so I am looking for somewhere cheaper but reliable. Would love to know if you have any think you can tell me about this site before I order. Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000