Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  10:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alot of corns go off their food in the breeding season. keep an eye on her weight, has she put on weight even though she hasn't eaten?. you've said you can't seperate them so there's not to much you can do. if they're a pair theres every chance it will happen so just be prepared

Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  21:09:08  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
She's not put on weight but she hasn't dropped either... She's stayed the same, may have lost a tiny amount but nothing crucial...

Before she stopped eating she was a little on the large side anyway weighing in at 900 grams...

Well they're sharing the 'RUB' I've put in for her, looked cute when they both turned to look at me.

These 2 really do seem to like each others company because if you separate them they just won't move, like if you have one out of the viv and leave the other in, they both just stay still. Then you put them back together and they just go straight up to each other, curl up together and won't leave each other now. They went through a stage of ignoring each other and now I've been told they may wait till next season to breed as I regulate my vivs temperature dependent on outside just a little warmer. Say if it's cold one day their viv drops to 26 Degrees Celsius, if it's warm it goes up to 30/32 Degrees Celsius so they feel the difference every day.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
1.0 Caramel Stripe het Amel - Vladimir.
0.1 Normal het Amel, Caramel, Hypo - Amara.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
1.0 Masque Anery het Amel, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, lavender, Stripe - Orion.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
1.0 Yellow Rat Snake - Leviathan(Levi)
Western Hognoses
1.0 Normal 50% poss het Frosted(Dutch Hypo, Caramel) - Thorne.
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
1.0 Anaconda het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Titan.
0.1 Normal het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Nyx.
R.I.P Pandora & Sakana, entwined in my heart forever my darlings.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  21:39:50  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If they live together your not really planning on breeding your expecting them too lol. Males can breed as young as 1 I think, so yeah your friends snake could have done the deed.

They don't like each others company, they tolerate it, they don't have the voice box to go "go away, I don't like you!" they are simply in the best part of the viv. It doesn't matter who else keeps their gravid snake in with a male whilst the lay, it's simply not good, others may have more experience but it is not something a noob should do. They can hold off laying eggs if people take the occasional peek to having a constant sex pest in the viv or another pieces of moving furniture or threat is going to put them off even more.

900g for a 5ft snake is very large, she doesn't look big on the pictures but chunky girl snakes trying to lay eggs can cause problems, just as a heads up. And why do you relegate your vivs temperature to what it is outside :/ it should never go above 30. You don't need to do anything with temps to make cornsnakes mate.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

ashby_steve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
258 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  22:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly there is no proof that snakes don't like being cohabited, we house a male and female together and they're fine
infact, the female my snake was originally with was removed and he became so inactive and grumpy, as soon as he had a friend he was back to his old self again, just make sure you have a spare viv for the male if your female does become gravid. As previously said a male will carry on trying to mate when the female is pregnant.

secondly in regards to breeding, try getting a spray bottle and mist your snakes with it
fools them into thinking that it is spring, works on mine everytime :)

not too much though i might add, high humidity isn't great for corns
hope this helps!

Edited by - ashby_steve on 31/05/2012 22:02:36
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  22:35:04  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a spray bottle to lightly mist them every now and then. I agree that it's not proven snakes don't like company.

My Girlfriends male is still eating happily, not even looking at the other female who is off her food(the one he lives with), I regulate to give them that little extra idea of what time of year it is but I don't do it manually what I mean is if it's hot I ave my window open and their temperature changes dependent on what it's like outside.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  22:57:41  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes there is proof snakes don't like company, read the co-hab thread. I doubt snakes really enjoy anything, just a matter of preference or stress and snakes certainly can get stressed when cohabbed. I never meant on the way the snake was like OMG I HATE IT! Just that they are more prone to stress and don't have a choice so just tolerate it.

I would wait until next year to try anything though myself, though if you plan to keep in the same viv I would have an incubator ready and everything else at hand as they can breed through out the year, I've seen mine mate in the Christmas period!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  23:50:00  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am waiting till next year and it seems they're too. I've got everything incase she is gravid but I'm not hopeful.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000