New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  21:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is currently being left to settle into her new home. Whilst waiting to be able to handle/feed her I have been doing some extra research.

I've been reading about shedding and feeding on the forum. I have records from the petshop I got my corn snake from today. She arrived at the petshop late Sept 2011, unsure how old she was then, but I'm assuming she was quite young.
I have weighed her (weighed the travel box with her in it, then weighed it once she had gotten out into her viv) and she is 17g. Is this a normal weight for a corn snake of her age (probably a little over 8 months)?
She was fed 2 pinkies roughly every 7-12 days since sept 2011. She shed (I was told it was a complete shed both times) dec2011 and mar2012.
I read on the forum that usually a young snake sheds every 3-4weeks. Assuming the petshop got the records right, she hasn't been shedding as much as expected. Is this because she wasn't being fed properly? I have also read that corn snakes should be given pinkies every 5-6 days, not every 7-12. Is she small? If so, is it because of the feeding?

Thanks in advance for your help. Perhaps I am worrying about nothing but I want to make sure I get everything right for Apollo.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  21:49:08  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My 8 month year old is 28 grams and on fluffs every 7 days but all snakes grow at different rates but I would feed yours 1 pinkie every 5 days for a bit to get some weight on her and when the 1 is not leaving much of a bump up it to 2 pinkies every 6 or 7 days. She is also shedding every 4 - 5 weeks currently and yours may not have shed so often due to not being fed as regularly as she could have been.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  22:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the pet shop will have had her on enough food to sustaine her but not enough for her to grow which is why she won't be shedding much, my jinx is the same, he was in the shop for 3 weeks and i've had him for four weeks and he is only just getting ready to shed. like donnie has said pop her on a pinkie every 5 days and see how you get on.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko

Edited by - lupi lou on 29/05/2012 22:02:28
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  22:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt worry maintenance feeding in petshops slows growth and therefore shedding slows as well. Once he/she starts feeding correctly should soon put on some weight.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  22:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a late Sept 2011 who currently weighs 35g and another late 2011(think Oct) that is currently 14g, I have had both since December. This just proves that different snakes grow at different rates, neither snake has ever been on maintenance feeding, both have had a couple of regurges, the one sheds more regularly than the other.
I do worry, 'tis my nature, but I know once the little one is on fuzzies he/she will hopefully have a growth spurt.
I did feed the little one every 5 days for a while, but currently it is fed two small pinkies every 7 days, but only because I can only get really small pinkies at the moment and one doesn't leave a bump. The other one is on a fuzzie every 7 days. Hope this puts your mind at rest that your snake is probably just a slow grower, and as others have said probably due to 'maintenance' feeding at a petshop.

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2012 :  11:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know where you get your mice,but my local petshops fuzzies vary a great deal in size so when i was trying to move my anery up was able to source some smaller fuzzies and he started to fill out nicely worth asking your supplier.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2012 :  17:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the best plan is to start by offering one pinkie every 5 days. I guess it depends on whether it leaves a lump or not as well but I think it will because she is very slim. Will that be enough for her if she is used to two pinkies every 7-12 days? It works out as less food overall.

Can you still use the size of the lump after a snake has eaten as a guide for meal size if it is underweight?

Is it harder for them to digest overly large meals? I was told she has not regurgitated a meal whilst at the petshop and she has always had two pinkies at every feed but the feeds have been spaced well apart.

How do you tell if your snake is underweight or overweight? I think I read somewhere about them being underweight if you can see a ridge where the spine is and overweight if there is a slight dip. Is that the best way to tell? Apollo definitely has quite a ridge and it is almost as if her skin is slightly too large for her body size.

Sorry for asking so many questions but there is still so much for me to learn.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2012 :  17:57:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
offer her a single pink, if it leaves a noticable lump stick to 1 pink every 5 days, if their is no visable lump offer her two pinks next time she is due a feed.

regarding overly large meals there is the risk that they will either a, refuse the meal or b, regurge.

heres a link for judging weight, you'll think frrom the title of the post that i've lost the plot!! but go about half way down the page and there is a good little diagram to help you judge her weigh: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11891

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko

Edited by - lupi lou on 30/05/2012 17:58:48
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2012 :  17:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also ignore my bad grammer and spelling!!

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2012 :  18:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lupi lou. Looks like Apollo is underweight then as she is quite a lot closer to a triangle than a loaf. Hopefully she'll put weight on steadily now that she will be fed suitable sized meals closer together.

Now just to wait until she's settled in...

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2012 :  20:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I'd say if she's used to 2 pinks then she can obviously manage 2 pinks, and if she is underweight I'd go for 2 every 7 days. If she's really underweight then a single pink will leave a bump even if it's not enough, surely?

Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2012 :  21:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moppet

I was told she has not regurgitated a meal whilst at the petshop and she has always had two pinkies at every feed but the feeds have been spaced well apart.

From this comment it sounds as if Apollo was getting 2 pinkies at every meal time whilst at the pet shop, so I would go with feeding 2 pinkies every 7 days.
As I said in my previous reply I have a 14g late 2011 which is fed 2 pinkies and copes easily (I was thinking of trying a small fuzzie if I can get some), I will also say from the photo of Apollo my little one is definately thinner than Apollo, so yours should have no problems.

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  17:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay so less than 24 hours after her first single pinkie meal (gave her one to be safe for the first feed) and she's already pooped. So much faster than I expected it to be. I don't think it can be from her last meal because that was over a week and a half ago at the petshop. Definitely going to give her two pinkies next time, one left a bulge but only a tiny one and she ate it so fast, barely touched the sides!

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  18:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be from her last feed, to poo over night is impossible :) but glad she ate for you :)

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000