Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Roffe
Hatchling

Denmark
141 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  20:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So today i went and visit the guy (a breeder) i was gonna buy my corn from. i didn't expect to get one home with me today, as i don't even have terrarium or anything yet. but i did, because he kept him in a little tub, and i could take that with me..so now i'm thinking...is that tub good enough for the snake? i mean, he don't have any heat...but the guy said that with this warm weather we have atm, it will be fine. and i mean, he has kept the snake in this tub since it was hatched (almost a year ago)...but i'm still a little concerned. i haven't been able to buy a thermometer today, cause when i got home (in the evening), all the stores were closed. but i want to get one tomorrow so i can see what the temp is in the tub
another thing, he's really small, and i was expecting/hoping to get a bigger snake. the guy said he has been feeding the snake one pinky a week, because he didn't want it to grow so fast. but i want it to grow faster, so what do i do? do i feed him more pinkies? how many and how often?

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  20:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a lot of breeders will keep the snakes small by only feeding 1 pinky a week, enough basically to survive but thats it, i would start by feeding 1 pinky every 5 days and as he grows increase to double pinky's. He'll be fine in the little tub so long as he has water and hides (toilet roll tubes are great) until you can get a faun or RUB for him, watch out for him escaping, they're quite strong even at that size, i'd pop out tomorrow and get all the bits andpieces you need, but he'll be fine tonight, just don't feed him until you're set up, he shouldn't be handled or fed for a week anyway to give him time to settle in. Good luck with him and keep us posted on how he's doing

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  21:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if it's a cricket tub like a lot of breeders use theres one corner that doesn't clip down as tight as the others,one of my hatchlings let me know that. found him 3 hours later. just put an elastic band around that end and you'll be fine

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  21:09:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typical (starred out words) reptile shop!!!

What tub is it? Is it a faunarium or the tubs I would keep my insect live food.

He told you what you needed to hear to buy the snake, sold with no equipment and knowing that you had no equipment is irresponsible on his part and a real rush job on your part to set it up ASAP. It is true its warm right now, its the UK its not a long term plan, right now one thing you must not do is feed that snake, they need a heat of about 28oC to digest their food, I'm guessing its not that hot anywhere in this country apart from my Nan's living room, wow her gas bill must be high.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  21:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 'cool' end of my faun is currently hotter than my hot end! It has been 29 degrees this afternoon in Somerset, I've had the windows open wide and have placed a fan that has cooled the cool end a bit - the proper vivs are cooler because they're insulated from the outside heat a bit more.

Hope by now you've had a read of this forum and seen everything you need to buy, don't be led astray by shop keepers telling you you won't need a thermostat. These guys here taught me everything I know and my snakeys are happy little sods who live better than I do at times!

Go to Top of Page

Roffe
Hatchling

Denmark
141 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  21:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now you guys got me worried!! how long will he be able to survive in this tub??? it's a tub like this one http://www.online-sweets.co.uk/images/user/tsbanana.jpg with lid of course. i will put something heavy on the lid then. just in case
as soon as i got home i ordered a terrarium. it will arrive in the beginning of next week. and on monday i'm goin to a pet store to buy everything else i need. i can not do it before, because the only pet store that sells things to reptiles are out of town, and i can't go there till monday..but i don't have the terrarium by then anyway
and i don't live in the UK, so the temps are not quite the same here...i believe they're lower here
and he said that he usually feed the snake on weekends, but said i should wait till monday to feed him....but i will wait then, till he is proper set up
and he didn't have anything to hide in, so as soon as i got home, i made a little hide for him from a little box. and he also have a water bowl

Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  21:56:16  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have a good read of the thread below tonight and you will know what you will need to get tomorrow. Does not need to be exactly the same stuff but something's that will do the same function. Happy shopping :)

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Roffe
Hatchling

Denmark
141 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  00:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Donnie

Have a good read of the thread below tonight and you will know what you will need to get tomorrow. Does not need to be exactly the same stuff but something's that will do the same function. Happy shopping :)

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

i already know what i need. thanks anyway

Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  14:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you get everything sorted for little snakey.

Any further questions you have these will be someone on here who can help :-)

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Roffe
Hatchling

Denmark
141 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  15:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so i got a thermometer today, and the temp in the tub is currently 29C

quote:
Originally posted by viraleye

thanks. this is a really nice and helpful place!!
my main concern right now is, will he be okay in the tub till i get him proper set up, sometime next week?

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  17:25:53  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He should be fine providing you get yourself a heatmat and stat asap ideally its best to get theese things setup before you buy the snake as it can take a few days to get the temperatures within the right kinda ranges good luck and keep us posted
quote:
Originally posted by Roffe

so i got a thermometer today, and the temp in the tub is currently 29C

quote:

thanks. this is a really nice and helpful place!!
my main concern right now is, will he be okay in the tub till i get him proper set up, sometime next week?

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Roffe
Hatchling

Denmark
141 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  18:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulie78

He should be fine providing you get yourself a heatmat and stat asap ideally its best to get theese things setup before you buy the snake as it can take a few days to get the temperatures within the right kinda ranges good luck and keep us posted

yeah...that's what i was planning to do. to get everything ready before i got the snake. as i said, i didn't expect to get one home with me yesterday. but when i saw the snakes, and found out they have been living in these tubs since they were hatched, i didn't think much about it, when i was standing there and was told it was fine. and of course saw the snakes and they all looked fine. though i did ask about heat, and was told what i wrote in my first post. but then when i got home, i somehow got concerned about it anyway...

Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  18:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
29 degrees celcius is fine so you should be more than fine till you get him a new home. Heat mat with a stat is a must though.... You do know about mats and stats right?

1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
Go to Top of Page

Roffe
Hatchling

Denmark
141 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  19:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

29 degrees celcius is fine so you should be more than fine till you get him a new home. Heat mat with a stat is a must though.... You do know about mats and stats right?

the temp has dropped a bit now...its 26C...the temp wont be 29C constantly of course, as the weather/room temp changes...
and yes, i know about heat mat and everything else i need. i have done a lot of research on corn snakes as soon as i found out that it was the snake i was gonna get, when i got in contact with this breeder (way before yesterday)

Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  19:08:39  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What country are you in and what is the temperature likely to do over night?

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  19:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Donnie

What country are you in and what is the temperature likely to do over night?

You beat me to it!

1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
Go to Top of Page

Roffe
Hatchling

Denmark
141 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  19:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
denmark...around 13-15C over night

Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  19:31:10  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Will you have heating on in your house at night?

Go to Top of Page

Roffe
Hatchling

Denmark
141 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  19:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no... not in this heat

Go to Top of Page

Roffe
Hatchling

Denmark
141 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  19:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was wondering...i could put a heating pad under the tub?

Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  19:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a room which holds heat the best??

1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: