Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cypher
Snake Mite

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  07:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G'day guys,
I find myself in 2 minds about what to do with my corn.

She's nearly 3 years old now & unfortunately last year she was diagnosed with a respiratory tract infection. This meant that for 10 days straight, my missus & I had to grab hold of her every day & inject her ourselves with antibiotics.

Suffice to say, it stressed the snake & made it more fearful of humans.
I honestly don't blame it for losing trust in us after that ordeal.

My dilemma is my missus & my son want me to try & befriend it again so they can handle her.
Whilst I'm just happy enough to home a "wild" snake & leave her be.

Any thoughts?

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  09:03:23  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If it was be i would try to befriend it again. You could try the sock trick, carry a clean sock around with you for 24-48hrs so it gathers you scent, leave it in the viv for a few days so that the snake gets used to scent and realises that its not a threat. Then starting with short handling sessions. If she bites you try not to flinch (it'll only feel like the rough side of velco apparently), try not to let it think you fear her. Gradually increase the length of the handling sessions, and i am sure she will calm down a little. That whay your whole family can benefit from these great pets.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 25/05/2012 09:03:56
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  09:18:16  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The sock trick worked for me with an adult corn I took in who was very grumpy etc. xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  10:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww what a shame :( I would definitely try to get her to trust you again, she just needs you to handle her little and often until she realises she'd not going to get jabbed every time you touch her! In my opinion I don't see you've got anything to lose by trying and failing, but both you and the snake could have a lot to gain if it works :)

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  13:27:42  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with SB, go for making pals again. I don't know what the memory span of a Corn is but it is worth giving it a try.

It worked with previously neglected snakes with me. It might take a bit of time but little and often should work.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  20:14:50  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd get it friendly, you don't know what will happen in x amount of time, I'm not saying you will but you may sadly one day have to try and rehome and getting a home for a friendly snake is easier.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  20:36:18  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I too would be happy with a 'wild' snake, but if your wife n kids would like to handle him then I think thats what you should do :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  23:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for the whole family to enjoy the snake fully again. They don't hold grudges, it won't take long for it to realise your not going
to stab it every time you go near. lol.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000