incubator Q
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  23:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this one's going to sound really thick, but...

stat and thermometer probes... inside the box with the eggs, or underneath on the mat?
ive been fretting all evening about the crappy ministat stat ive got (the only one i could buy on a sunday)and its inability to stay in one place, (tempwise)and then i suddenly realised that where the ggs are is noticably cooler than the mat anyway- so now ive got a new fret-an-worry....

(please excuse my ignorance but I'm not properly read-up, as I hadn't initially intended actually keeping these eggs)

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  23:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think most have it with the eggs x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  23:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx G- yeh, I kind of guessed I'd got it wrong to start with- hopefully they'll be okay-?? ...as far as I can tell from what little I have read, cooler is safer than hotter..
if I'm totally honest tho it'll be nothing short of a miracle if any of these survive and make it through to hatching (due round my birthday- haha)
if any do survive my ineptitude, it's still better than the original plan which was going to be the bottom drawer in the freezer- which when it actually came to it I couldn't bring myself to do...

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  10:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kind of incubate my eggs the noob way, I'd say. My "incubator" is a bucket with vermiculite, sealed off and in the viv with the snakes. The temperatures range quite a bit between night and day, but that never seems to have harmed the eggs. I wouldn't worry too much about the eggs being at too low a temp for a little while :)

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  11:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
put the thermostat probe on the mat and the thermometer probe in the egg box and adjust as needed.
don't worry if it fluctuates by a degree or 2 through out the day as long as at it's highest point it doesn't go over 29. 27-28 ideal temp

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  12:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Incubators are good, but in the wild the eggs would experience a range of temps and different humidities, so I wouldn't worry yourself too much.
We just try create the optimum conditions, I think the eggs are actually much hardier than we give them credit for lol.

In america a lot of people just leave theirs in a garage or in a room at room temp, where during the day they reach 80-85F and drop down to 75F during the night.
I prefer to keep them at a stable temp, like most people do on here, but I do not think it is absolutely vital.

Don't worry yourself sick! but good luck with them, and I guess it is better to be safe than sorry

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000