change of heart
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  22:02:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so I was totally decided that whatever Debbie laid was going straight in the freezer- ....until i peeped in the mossbox this evening and saw her all curled round her babies..

I've got some of the necessary stuff to try and keep the eggs alive up to hatching, but I can't get hold of a thermostat/hydrometer extra thermometer til tomorrow-

will they be alright if I leave them in with mum overnight? they're in nice damp moss and over a statted mat which is about 28 C, but I don't know temp inside the box- should I move the probe to inside the mossbox with mum and eggs? will leaving them overnight kill them off anyway?
help please!!??

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  22:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
should be o.k until tomorrow. they can be incubated as low as 26,so should be fine.if the box is on the mat it's probably no lower than that in the box

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  22:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did she lay them in a lay box or is it just moss on top of the mat?

Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  22:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its a box on top of the mat with moss in it.

another Q- how do i know when she's finished laying??

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  22:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should be able to see if there are any eggs in her still, there'd be a lump.
Im glad you've decided to keep them :) its a very exciting (and frustrating lol) process.

Do you know what morphs you'll be expecting?

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  22:41:30  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
if i wad you thou i wud gently remove her if shes finished just incase she rolls them by accident. gd luck. what morphs u expecting then

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  22:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nickyff

its a box on top of the mat with moss in it.
should be fine
another Q- how do i know when she's finished laying??

depending on the size of the snake it's not allways that obvious, unless noticeably alot thinner all over. just leave her until tomorrow when you get the rest of the equipment you need, she should be more than finished by then.

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  22:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wouldn't remove her just yet as you only found the eggs this evening,she could still be laying

Go to Top of Page

Tasha89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  23:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had eggs last year that were laid inside her hut in the cold end and i didn't notice them till about a week-ish later and some still survived to hatch so i think they should be fine. I would remove her as soon as possible though just incase of rolling. Alsoi never use a measure for humidity as long as you keep the lid on it moist enough and the temps right they should be fine as long as there is condensation on the box lid (use a see though box).

Glad you decided to keep them its such a good experience hatching them, hope all goes well!! :D

Tasha
______
4.0.0 - Corns - Hypo-Lavender (Lucifer), Bubblegum Snow (Houdini), Striped Carolina (Sarafino) and Black Cat (Ralphie)
0.2.0 - Corns - Anertheristic (Valentina), Lavender (Aiyana), Lavender (Di-nixi)
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  02:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not expecting anyhting special- shes a miami-ish carolina (so a georgia corn, haha) and dad is amel
no idea if theyve got any surprises in em, but i doubt it. all remains to be seen... after a VERY long wait....

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  09:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they could well have hidden hets,you never know. and i really would use a hygro meter to keep an eye on the humidity.

Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  12:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I'm on my phone so dunno if this will work.... I've just transfered 16 good looking eggs to an incubator ( how do I get the fishy smell out of the polystyrene box ? Bleach spray and rinse hasn't done it ) and put a VERY skinny snake back in her viv... How soon can I offer her something to eat ? Kids are really excited...

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  12:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can offer her something small straight away, but she might not take it. Worth a go though in my opinion.
Sometimes they wait til after they shed, but my Espher has eaten almost immediately the twice she has laid.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  15:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep- I offered her a medium mouse, she looked at me as if I was trying to poison her- and sniffed it like crazy- then as soon as I wasn't looking it was gobbled up- Im guessing every 5 days will be okay for a bit- she looks SO skinny!!
AND she's clearly in a grump with me now- when I came to lift her off the eggs she really resisted- she was very unwilling to be parted from them, bless her- and now she keeps tail- rattling, which she has NEVER done before- she's usually the most mellow natured, gentle thing. I hope these character changes are temporary !!

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  15:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't worry she will calm down again,hope it all goes well for you

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  18:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good look with the eggs, hope you get some suprises

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2012 :  18:40:50  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
good luck :)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Tasha89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  17:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Egg-siting stuff!! lol (sorry had to be done!!) mine laid about a week ago and she was in a grump with me for a while but shes fine tempered now, she took food straight away and has gone straight into a shed. I never use a hydrometer i just put a lid on the tub and make sure i can see condensation on the lid (i use a see though tub) and ive never had a problem with the eggs hatching doing it this way.

Tasha
______
4.0.0 - Corns - Hypo-Lavender (Lucifer), Bubblegum Snow (Houdini), Striped Carolina (Sarafino) and Black Cat (Ralphie)
0.2.0 - Corns - Anertheristic (Valentina), Lavender (Aiyana), Lavender (Di-nixi)
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  21:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww I'm so glad you've decided to keep them - good luck! Poor Debbie, hope she recovers from the ordeal quickly xx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000