Dealing with my first shed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sharks35
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2012 :  16:55:14  Show Profile  Visit Sharks35's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello people, Bit of advice needed, the wife was concerned as Willow didnt come out at all last night and usually is quite active in the evening, anyway i lifted her hide out 5 mins ago to see a very dull/pale looking snake all curled up, im guessing she is "in blue"? and getting ready to shed, she last fed on the 14th and is due another feed in 2 days, usually by now she has pooped but theres no sign anywhere of anything.
Im just looking for a bit of advice as this is my first shed and i want to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible and Willow is as happy and comfortable as possible.
Average temps over the last 6 days are, cool 22.03 and warm 28.48
She is an Amel
I have read the sticky on here but still really quite nervous and not sure how i go about dealing with it.
Many thanks in advance
Alex

alex
St.Ives, Cornwall

0.1.0 Corn Snake - Willow
1.0.0 Cat - Denzil
0.1.0 Wife - Wifey
0.1.0 Daughter - Trouble

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2012 :  17:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it does sound like she is coming in to blue, it's up to you if you chose to feed her, i don't feed whilst their shedding also if she hasn't poo'd yet i'd be inclined to skip a feed it wont do her any harm. don't worry about the fact that she hasn't poo'd either it is quite normal for them to wait until they have shed to do thier business! temps are fine.
hope this puts your mind at rest

good luck with your first shed

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Sharks35
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2012 :  17:09:00  Show Profile  Visit Sharks35's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have the feeling to just leave her alone, not handle or feed until she sheds but i will be checking on her daily.

so nervous

alex
St.Ives, Cornwall

1.0.0 Cat - Denzil
0.1.0 Wife - Wifey
0.1.0 Daughter - Trouble
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2012 :  17:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she will be fine and she'll know just what to do, she'll hide away while blue as they feel vulnerable as they become partially sighted if not completely blind. Her eyes will go clear again after a few days and then a few days later she will actually shed. Some people use a moist hide, to help with the shedding process, but i'd wait and see how she goes, most snakes manage perfectly fine. Don't forget to check the shed afterwards to make sure the eye caps have come away (you can clearly see these and feel them on the shed skin) and that the tail tip has come off, the tip can tear in the process and if missed and left on the snake can act as a tourniquet cutting off circulation to the tail tip, resulting in a lost tail from it dropping off, but this happens overtime with a build up of retained shed and CAN be prevented by careful checking.

Good luck hope it goes well

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

marlin
Egg

53 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2012 :  18:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were really nervous with the first one. Don't worry though - they know what they are doing!

Go to Top of Page

Sharks35
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  09:28:39  Show Profile  Visit Sharks35's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is it worth still leaving alone after she's been in blue until after she has shed.

alex
St.Ives, Cornwall

1.0.0 Cat - Denzil
0.1.0 Wife - Wifey
0.1.0 Daughter - Trouble
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  11:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i leave mine along but thats my choice,plus 8 prefers to hide away throughout the whole process so i just leave him to it. some people do still handle, its all down to you and your snake.

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2012 :  15:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every one worries about the first shed! If by some chance it does not all come off once you check shed an if eye caps/tail tip are not there, get a warm damp towel and let him go through it, then use a moss hide next time.
Either way, dont panic!!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Sharks35
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  10:34:12  Show Profile  Visit Sharks35's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So its been 5 days and ive not seen willow out at all, i switched her hides around and shes now staying in the warm hide, think i may have to get a smaller hide on the cool side. Anyway i checked on her every day and she is not so dull today, not the bright colour she was but not the pake dull colour she has ben the last 5 days. Is this still all normal.
She was last fed on 14th and still hasnt pooped or been fed or handled. Is this still all normal?
Cheers

alex
St.Ives, Cornwall

1.0.0 Cat - Denzil
0.1.0 Wife - Wifey
0.1.0 Daughter - Trouble
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  11:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats all still normal, expect a big smelly poo to accompany the shed!! :-)

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Corns7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  12:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It go's.....
Their eyes and skin go's all dull and blue
A few day later they brighten a little
A few more days later(or the next day) they finally.....SHED!
mine has just she'd and from her vent down there was retained shed. I got a damp flannel and Tupperware box and put it on her heat mat. The warmth and dampness created humidity which helps the shed come of. She slithered around for 10 mins and kapish...it's almost gone. So I held the flannel and let her slither through it and it all came off.
Hope this helped. No need to worry! Oh and it helps if the humidity is higher than usual

0.1 Carolina corn-Willameana

1.0 springer spaniel- Seb

1.0 shih tzu- Charlie

0.1 black cat- Luna

Edited by - Corns7 on 22/05/2012 12:25:42
Go to Top of Page

Sharks35
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  13:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Sharks35's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PANIC OVER!!!!! She shed at some point this morning. checked on her this morning and nothing, checked on her this afternoon and found her shed.....so excited. only problem being she pooped all over the middle.... so i dont have a complete shed. following instructions on here i have checked for eye caps and complete tail piece and both there feel so proud..hahaha.

Pictures to follow!!!!

alex
St.Ives, Cornwall

1.0.0 Cat - Denzil
0.1.0 Wife - Wifey
0.1.0 Daughter - Trouble
Go to Top of Page

Sharks35
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  14:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Sharks35's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Only worry is she now weighs 1g less than when i last weighed her. she was last weighed then fed on the 14th at 20g and today weighed before being fed 19g. could this be due to not eating for 8 days??

alex
St.Ives, Cornwall

1.0.0 Cat - Denzil
0.1.0 Wife - Wifey
0.1.0 Daughter - Trouble
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  14:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nothing to worry about unless the weight loss becomes persistant. she will probably have put a bit on by next weigh day

Go to Top of Page

Sharks35
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  14:35:45  Show Profile  Visit Sharks35's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ill wait now for 48 hours and until she poos then weigh and measure her again.

alex
St.Ives, Cornwall

1.0.0 Cat - Denzil
0.1.0 Wife - Wifey
0.1.0 Daughter - Trouble
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  17:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad it all went well

Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  19:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad it all went well and unless you have super dooper scales that weigh in mgs that could just be the weight of the shed so wouldnt worry.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

boozysuzy
Egg

76 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  22:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cornflake is just about to do her first shed with us. She is in blue but has just accepted food. I expect she should shed in a day or two but like you, I am very nervous. I'm sure she'll be fine and as long as we check for the eye and tail bits it will hopefully go smoothly.

Go to Top of Page

Sharks35
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  08:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Sharks35's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good luck boozysuzy, hope your 1st shed turns out as well as ours did!!!!

alex
St.Ives, Cornwall

1.0.0 Cat - Denzil
0.1.0 Wife - Wifey
0.1.0 Daughter - Trouble
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page