one daft and one good question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  19:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
firstly and I'm going to sound like a daft idiot but we have been really messed around with our snake. we brougt him in january and he was red on white and we were told he was a candy cain. his white has dissapeared now and hes actually an amel. we have no idea of his parantage etc. we have been told by a shop he may have hidden hets which will present themself when breeding, which again if fine but... what is a het? and what does it mean? told you i would sound daft.

secondly as we are looking into breeding we are trying to build a data base of what corn creats what morph when bread together any help on this would be very welcome. such as:

If you breed 2 lavenders together, you would get lavenders back.

If you breed 2 normal het lavenders together, you would get normal with no hets (1/4), normal het lavender (2/4) and lavender (1/4).

I quite like the lavender morph, makes some nice snakes with hypo and anery mixed in...

etc...

thanks
vic

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  19:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
google corn calculator, then you can see the outcomes of putting different morphs together.

Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  19:18:24  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
het means hetrozygous which means hidden genes which if put against the same gene in breeding will produce a snake of them genes. for example if u bred amel het for anery with a anery hypo(ghosts) the het would change now you wpuld get anerys het for amel and hypo if that makes any sense.it hidds the single genes.

and the answers to ur second questions are yes and yes lol. im hoping my ghost is a lavender coz she has a pink head but ill have to prove it by breeding

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  19:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a mooch over to Ians Vivarium and there is a corn calculator on there.

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  19:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
easy example i bred a snow with a normal that was het for amel and anery. because a snow is made up of amel and anery and my normals hets matched this the hatchlings included snows, amels het anery, anerys het amel and normals het anery and het amel

Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  19:28:15  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by war_by_sea

firstly and I'm going to sound like a daft idiot but we have been really messed around with our snake. we brougt him in january and he was red on white and we were told he was a candy cain. his white has dissapeared now and hes actually an amel. we have no idea of his parantage etc. we have been told by a shop he may have hidden hets which will present themself when breeding, which again if fine but... what is a het? and what does it mean? told you i would sound daft.

secondly as we are looking into breeding we are trying to build a data base of what corn creats what morph when bread together any help on this would be very welcome. such as:

If you breed 2 lavenders together, you would get lavenders back.

If you breed 2 normal het lavenders together, you would get normal with no hets (1/4), normal het lavender (2/4) and lavender (1/4).

I quite like the lavender morph, makes some nice snakes with hypo and anery mixed in...

etc...

thanks
vic

A Candy Cane is a selectively bred amel, which shows red saddles on a white background, so your snake was always amel!

Next up is hets. To get a morph, you need 2 copies of the same gene. So in the case of your snake, it will be amel-amel. This is known as as homozygous for amel.

If a normal and an amel bred together, you would get normals het amel (normal-amel). This means the snake is heterozygous for amel. The snake appears normal, but carries one copy of the amel gene.

This is what is meant by hidden hets. For example, if an amel and a normal het amel snake bred together, you would get 1/2 normals het amel, and 1/2 amels.

Here is a more in depth version of it...

http://www.corncalc.com/genetics101.html

Hope this helps!

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  19:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys my partner is on ians viv but i find this sight easier to use x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  19:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
A Candy Cane is a selectively bred amel, which shows red saddles on a white background, so your snake was always amel!

Next up is hets. To get a morph, you need 2 copies of the same gene. So in the case of your snake, it will be amel-amel. This is known as as homozygous for amel.

If a normal and an amel bred together, you would get normals het amel (normal-amel). This means the snake is heterozygous for amel. The snake appears normal, but carries one copy of the amel gene.

This is what is meant by hidden hets. For example, if an amel and a normal het amel snake bred together, you would get 1/2 normals het amel, and 1/2 amels.

Here is a more in depth version of it...

http://www.corncalc.com/genetics101.html

Hope this helps!

thanks that was really easy to understand x I'm a really new snake owner and trying to learn it all as fast as i can, i have two years to become competant before my lovely Riddle is olde enough to breed x

Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  20:10:46  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ive been trying for about a year and half. and im still trying just getting my head round it

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

Jonny89
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  22:00:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sort of understand this thing because I did A-Level Biology, however that was 6 years and many drunken nights ago...

So let me see if I have it right for my Geoffrey. He is a Stripe so he is homozygous recessive for Stripe but he could also be heterozygous for any morphs but I wouldn't know unless I found out what morphs his parents were, yes?

Geoffrey-Stripe Corn Snake
Corby-Coc.ker Spaniel

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  22:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats right

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  23:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... Red on White but the white disappeared... Does your snake have checkers on his belly?
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2012 :  23:26:50  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
who was that post to spreebok

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2012 :  07:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It refers to the very 1st line in the 1st post Marc ;)

Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2012 :  08:04:38  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
oh yeah lol

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2012 :  23:40:36  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
het doesn't strictly mean 'hidden' - that only applies to recessive morphs. A codominant het or a dominant het are both visually different to normal

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000