New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Josh235
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  22:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, I have a corn snake that is 4 months old, he is about 1ft long, we have owned him for about two months and to begin with was very active and loved to explore, the viv is about 1.5ft x 0.5ft, hot end is about 28c cold 22c, he has a hide in the hot end and has created his own burrow in the cold under his water bowl aswell as another burrow in the center of the viv and has plenty to climb on. Heat is provided by a heat mat however the temp sometimes fluctuates by 1-2c due to temp changes within the house. The issue we have is that he doesn't hardly eat and we havnt seen him in days, when we picked him up from the shop we were told he was eating every Tuesday, since we've had him he hasn't once eaten after 7 days, when he does it's normally around the ten day mark but we never see him to present his food so we tried putting his food onto a log at last light hoping he would come out when it was dark, this worked the first few times but now he doesn't seem to be coming out atall, I know this because we have a sticky thermometer on the glass and everyday i had to restick it because he had knocked it off trying to climb on it, now that's not happening either, iv read several forums saying to just pick him up and see but Im hoping you'll be able to give me advice on the factors affecting me, could he be hiding because he's cold? Hibernating? hiding because he's going to shed or worst case died? any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  22:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if the temp is 28 on a strip or dial thermpomter then the actual ground temp will be atleast 35 which is far too hot, that s why he wont be eating and continued contact with that amount of heat can cause damage.

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Josh235
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  23:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry should have elaborated, the thermometer is half way up the viv n normally reads 22-4 in the hot end, last time the temp was checked ground level it was 28. Do you reckon it's worth dropping it still and see if it has an effect? to be honest when he was active he spent a lot if time at the highest point in the cool end, could he be trying to cool down?
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  23:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
possibly. a digital thermometr is the only way of knowing what the temp is. what is your stat set to?

Go to Top of Page

Josh235
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  23:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks, I shall invest in one. in terms of stat that is currently awaiting replacement as its faulty, would you say the best course of action is to find him and check hes alive, replace the stat soon as possible and keep a close eye on him?
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  23:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, so if he hasnt eaten in the last 48 hours i would turn the mat off. replace the stat and get a digi thermomter and then feed again when you are all up and running.

Go to Top of Page

Josh235
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  23:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant, cheers for your help!!!
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  07:53:48  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would definitely advise turning off the mat until you get a digital thermometer and a thermostat. I don't see anything wrong in you getting him out for a little check over. You may just find he has gone into shed mode in which case you can stop worrying about him a little as it is natural for them to hide during this time

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  15:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The burrowing under the bowl is a clear sign they are cooling themselves down, some will even wrap round the bowls or just get right in.

The above is sound advice about the heat source etc, if you've only had the setup for 2 months and the stat is broken it will be under warranty.

As for been worried about the snake, you dont have to be shy about it, pick him up have a look at him, its probably just heading towards shedding its skin and they do hide away and lots of them go off their food too, have a look at the snakes belly as it gives away the first signs of an imminent shed as it goes all milky. If he is completely 'blue' where the skin has totally gone milky the snake will pretty much be blind and irritable so expect the possibility that it will be grumpy though I have never found this with any of my snakes, they are mainly quite lethargic.

As for worrying about him not having a heat mat for a bit while you sort out your kit, dont they survive perfectly fine at room temperature for a little while the only thing you wont be able to do is feed him during this time.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  21:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You say but we never see him to present his food so we tried putting his food onto a log at last light hoping he would come out when it was dark. Have you not got him out at all? A new snake will almost always hide away at first. The only way to get him used to you is to get him out, ideally every evening for 5-10 mins at first (not for 48hrs after feeding), then longer if he seems happy. You will have to go in and find him and disturb him at first (I still often have to with my corn I've had 6 months!). If I only waited until she came out for food, she would never have been fed!! It's also extremely common for them to seem most unwilling to leave their viv, then settle down straight after you've got them out... and often as not then be tricky to get back in again

Also I don't know what substrate you use but it's usually recommended to feed in a separate tub to avoid ingestion of the substrate. (Not all snakes will though!)

I would definitely get him out - if he is in blue then leave him alone until he's shed.

Edited by - smart bunny on 12/05/2012 21:54:52
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000