Shedding!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cazzy
Hatchling

105 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  10:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i recently got my snake on friday and was told he had he last shed the week before, well i have noticed that his skin started to feel scaly and like he was going to shed but his eyes never misted up. Well this morning he has started to shed but its coming off in peices, i have read up that its meant to come off in one peice but my friend's brother had a corn snake and it came off in peices until he got bigger. I was wondering if im doing something wrong etc, i have a temperature dial that has a humidity dial with it and before i went to bed the humidity was between 70 and 80 and when i woke up it had gone to 100%! i have never had a snake before and the first thing i do is panic! so was wondering if anyone could give me any advice! thanks!

1.0.0 Ultramel anery- Gonzo
1.0.0 Royal python- conan
0.1.0 Rottweiler- Bonnie

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  10:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you say you have a temperature dial. Are you using a digital thermometer to measure the temps? The strip ones are terrible and not accurate at all. Whats your set up like? Temps etc? Do you have a thermostat on the mat?

YOu can make a moist hide for future sheds.. I had a bad shedder... but after a few sheds using the moist hide he no longer has any problems

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cazzy
Hatchling

105 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  10:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no its not digital,my set up has two hides one at the hot end and one at the cool end where his water is, he has tissue as a substrate at the moment, the hot end is 26% and the cool is 21%. No i havent got a thermostat yet that is my purchase for today!

well im going to go shopping today to get a few bits so a thermostat is on my list and i shall look at for some moss to make a hide!
Thanks for the advice!

0.1.0 Rottweiler- Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  11:07:36  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No worries. Get a digital themometer too... put the probe of that under the hot hide. xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cazzy
Hatchling

105 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  11:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks! so he could just be having a bad shed then? the women i got him from said he shedded the other week but didnt say if it was in peices or whole

0.1.0 Rottweiler- Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  13:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought, I could be way off but perhaps because he has tissue as substrate he doesn't have enough rough surfaces to rub his shed off properly?

My espher has a wooden tube with holes in it, like what a hamster would have in its cage, and everytime she sheds it ends up through the tube. Always assumed it was because the tube has quite rough edges..

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

Cazzy
Hatchling

105 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  13:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he has a plastic plant in there with quiet rough edges as some of his shed had ended up on there, so i think he has rubbed himself against it

0.1.0 Rottweiler- Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Starmist
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  14:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps go back and ask the lady what his shed was like last time? Then you'll know for definite if he's a bad shedder or whether it's the potential upset of a new move and a new environment with different temps to what he was used to? Just a thought!? Definitely get yourself a thermostat and a thermometer asap! Just wondering what you use for heating at the moment? Would you be able to take a pic of the set up? Have fun shopping :)

Go to Top of Page

Cazzy
Hatchling

105 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  18:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will have to ask her, all i know is that he shed the other week. well i have a heatmat, the women said she never got round to getting a thermostat and thermometers! well i went and brought two thermometres yesterday one was a cheap stick on one which is on the cool side which keeps going between 20-22 degrees and i got a dial with a humidity monitor on it aswell and that is 27 degrees and the humidity is between 70 and 80% it has gone down since first thing this morning! i could take a pic on my phone but dont know how to get it on my laptop!

0.1.0 Rottweiler- Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  18:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by QueenVic

Just a thought, I could be way off but perhaps because he has tissue as substrate he doesn't have enough rough surfaces to rub his shed off properly?

I've used kitchen roll as a substrate for all three of mine till i moved them onto aspen, none of them had any problems shedding on the 'tissue' its still quite rough

The dial ones will just be measuring the ambient air temperature not the temperature of the actual mat, so it could be too hot for him, until you get a digital thermometer put the dial flat on the mat it will give you more of a guide to the mat temp.

As for the humidity, corns don't need any extra, i personally don't measure the humidity levels, had he spilt the water or poo'd over the heatmat which could have raised the humidity levels?

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Edited by - tordyjo on 08/05/2012 18:32:50
Go to Top of Page

Cazzy
Hatchling

105 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  18:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he will be moved onto aspen when i get a bigger viv for him, i didnt think there was any point atm!

0.1.0 Rottweiler- Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Cazzy
Hatchling

105 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  18:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have asked the women who i got him off and she said that he shed in once peice when she had him!

0.1.0 Rottweiler- Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Cazzy
Hatchling

105 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  18:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i shall move it closer to the mat until i get a digial one, well the water is on the other side of the tank and the heat mat is placed under the tank, so he wouldnt have been able to poo on it and there was no spilt water this morning, but the humidity levels have gone back to between 70 and 80%

0.1.0 Rottweiler- Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Cazzy
Hatchling

105 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  16:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how often does shedding take usually?

0.1.0 Rottweiler- Bonnie