Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  17:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for the lose, you'd think a big pets store like that wouldn't want to risk its reputation especially since they have had a slating in the past when it comes to reps

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  20:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that along with a lot of other large companies the only thing that matters to them is the balance sheet. Thanks for all your posts.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  21:32:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lupi lou

sorry for the lose, you'd think a big pets store like that wouldn't want to risk its reputation especially since they have had a slating in the past when it comes to reps

Think its down to each different store, some managers will care others won't care at all sadly. Anyway you can get in contact with someone much higher up?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  22:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the gecko. They have a shocking attitude to the health of the animals they are selling. Really hope the vet comes up trumps for you.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  22:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for your loss.. was in P@H today and thought i'd test the guys knowledge a bit, i asked what temp they kept their cresties at..

34 celcius..

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  10:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if i dont forget, i will post another reply later on about Crypto. Off the top of my head basically all the bad stuff thats been said is true, its highly contagious, it is passed on by physical contact, transferred by our husbandry, it is also airborne. Apart from IBD, its one of the worst diseases to diagnose and treat. There are treatments for it, but they only treat symptoms, they dont treat the cause, at the moment that isnt possible, although it is being worked on. Reptile Crypto will not infect us as humans, i believe it can however infect birds, genetically and physically (on the inside) they are quite similar. I need to check later, but i think that crpyto can be tested for with a blood test, its either that or a tissue sample, but dont quote me on that.
The only way to get rid of crypto completely is to euthanise an entire collection, you cant sell it, you cant give it away (you can, but you shouldnt), if people know you have crypto then you will not have anyone touch your animals with a barge pole. Snakes and lizards can be asymptomatic, meaning they carry the disease, and are capable of passing it on, but are not affected by it, so can live an normal life, although they can develop symptoms along the line. I will speak to my partner later on who is a vetinary hematological and something else vet labby to do with disease and infection.

Pets at home are morons and the best of times, keep on at them to change, you might get through to them eventually.

Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  11:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am really saddened by your loss. I too have had faults with PAH. On their aquatic section. You will find that some PAH stores are really good and know their stuff whilst others are straight out of school without A care in the world.

Can i just ask though - what exactly is Crypto? I have never heard of it???

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  16:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a protazoan parasite, very hard to detect and at the moment, near on impossible to kill.
the fatality rate is exceptionally high, near 100%, and if it isnt, it should be because its so very hard to cure, and because its so infectious it can wipe out an entire collection of both snakes and lizards.

Forgive the link off site, but it really is worth a read.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/362468-cryptosporidiosis-lizards.html

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2012 :  18:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gmac was right, i kinda missed it first time round, its tested from the stool sample, apparently, its not tested whilst doing a PM, so any results from a PM do not point directly at Crypto, it has to be tested from the stool sample. I am not saying the vet was wrong in his diagnosis, its far too common a disease these days, but i think hes testing the wrong thing.

Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  08:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we've all been warned, if you value you collections avoid said store.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2012 :  15:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Its a protazoan parasite, very hard to detect and at the moment, near on impossible to kill.
the fatality rate is exceptionally high, near 100%, and if it isnt, it should be because its so very hard to cure, and because its so infectious it can wipe out an entire collection of both snakes and lizards.

Forgive the link off site, but it really is worth a read.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/362468-cryptosporidiosis-lizards.html

Thankyou for the link, its really horrible reading about it. So basically its probably one of the worst things youd reptile could catch.

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  19:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IBD in boas is often worse, its 100% fatal and the symptoms are far worse. As far as an inter species goes, yeah, pretty much.

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  20:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I'd known about this before I bought Ember - now I don't know if she's OK or not!

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2012 :  21:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
put it this way, i have had over 500 snakes, i have never had Crypto, had over 20 geckos too.
Its such an unknown that it tends to get diagnosed without actually being diagnosed.

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  21:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but how many of yours were from PaH? ;) At least it won't be the same branch as we live in different areas, so I'll try not to worry - she seems fine so far!!

Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  21:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If ember is eating pooing and putting on weight everything should be ok. I have been to 2 more shops who seem to have no problems so it could well be it is just the 1 shop with the problem.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  22:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

I wish I'd known about this before I bought Ember - now I don't know if she's OK or not!

your not the only one who worried when this thread first came up!! what with jinx being a p@h special!!

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2012 :  20:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

Yeah, but how many of yours were from PaH? ;) At least it won't be the same branch as we live in different areas, so I'll try not to worry - she seems fine so far!!

I am smarter than that.

None, and never will be either.

Either way, its irrelevant who is selling them, they dont breed their own, they buy in from breeders in bulk.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000