Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  12:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son has a blizzard gecko which he got from p@h . He took it to the vets and had an eye checked for possible infection (sorted). While there the vet said he was underweight possibly worms. Treated for that but then mentioned having had a couple of geckos from the same source having the above. Have found snakes can get it but luckily my son does not live at home. So am wondering how contagious it is and could it be passed on by humans. Sorry about the essay. Thanks

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  12:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is very contagious and really is a collection killer, there is no treatment for Crypto.

There are tests that can be done to test for crypto and if the vet has suggested it may be present it must be tested for.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  12:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
meant to say im not 100% sure on humans carrying it and passing it on, we can get a strain of crypto but dont think its the same as the reptile strain.

Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  12:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks gmac the gecko in question is due back at the vets in 2weeks to check his weight again and reworm so think it best to get it tested for it. My son has no contact with my snakes so is there any chance of it being passed from person to person and then to my snakes?

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  12:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as i said im not 100% sure, would call a vet though no harm in asking that question.

The testing for it, im sure, is stool samples again maybe ask your lad to call the vet and find out the protocal for testing for crypto

Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  13:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks gmac didnt get your answer until i asked the second question. Will ask him to ring vets for more info.thanks again

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  13:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no worries

Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  14:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have just been in touch with vets and have been told that crypto can be passed via human to human contact and thereby can be passed from reptile to reptile so need a very strict hygeine control.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  14:48:27  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so was he sold to you by PAH with it?

I know what you mean with the strict hygeine. I contracted salmonella food based, from a dodgy takeaway here in Jan. Im still very sick from it (it hospitalised me) as my immune system is too weak to fight it and its now in my blood stream. We are currently doing a major strict hygiene take over in the house too. Hope you will be ok xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  15:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it seems pah might have a problem but getting them to admit it is another thing. Vet said he had done p.m.'s on 2 of them and it was crypto.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  15:31:14  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
have you informed them that their stock might be infected? if they refuse to believe it then advise them they need to get their stock looked at by a vet... and if they refuse maybe you could say you will take it further then? Ask your vet for some kinda advice on how to handle the shop? xxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  15:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have tried talking to shop the reply was that it left there shop in perfect health and it is our problem. We have still got our fingers crossed that it isnt crypto but it seems highly likely.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  18:08:27  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well if it is, then say to P@H that your vet said they NEED to get the animal tested (just tell them that even if you havent spoken to your vet) explain to them its not something that has just "come on" its had to have been in its system a while. It also must have got it from another infected one.

Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  18:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cant get to store til saturday but that might be in my favour. Dont think they are going to be pleased with what i have to say in a crowded shop.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  18:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the long and the short of it is, if the snake came from pets at home, and 2 others from that shop have been diagnosed with crypto. its not a coincidence this has to be passed onto hem as a matter of urgency to get them to remove all reptiles from that shop. Once crypto is in your collection you cant get rid of it, all housing has to be gotten rid of and start again eventually. This is why it is very important to find out if it is Crypto ASAP.

Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  19:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just been on the phone again to PAH tried my best to make them understand the gravity of the situation dont know if they took it in or not. Have got them to agree to pay vet bills so will try and get him tested asap instead of waiting the 2 weeks the vet suggested. I was speaking to the asst. Manager who thought he had heard of it !!!

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  06:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an update, little gecko was euthanised due to its problem. Vet will not give confirmation of illness as he is at present gathering info to get something done about said company. He has been in touch with different manager levels but seems they dont or wont take any notice.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  09:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no shocks there :(

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  09:58:53  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh man im so sorry. I hope your son is ok. Heart breaking

Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  13:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah we binned everything and bleached and steam cleaned his flat. He has now got a giant fairy gecko and a new setup. Bought from my local pet shop which is very good. Harry the gecko is doing great. Paid for with cash i got back from p@h

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  15:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the loss of your son's gecko - glad he's got another. Good luck to the Vet, hope he gets somewhere, terrible they aren't doing anything about such a serious problem.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000