Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  18:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wish it was as light as my server lol. Will post some pics of it, be aware its entirely steel and the top section is my water cooler so it has a large amount of liquid coolant in it

in total its twice as tall as my viv
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  20:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn that's a beast! Totally off topic for cornsnakes...seeing the skull in your viv makes me think you could so do an awesome theme for your stack if you wanted to! Becky Wheeler (youtube link is on another post about custom backgrounds) does some awesome themes!

My PC is but a humble affair...since I could OC with a heatsink and big ass fans!

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  20:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mines overclocked to the max with dual graphics cards :) got so hot with the extra power draw i had to buy a £200 motherboard and £500 water cooler, expensive hobbies

but yeh if i can get a good theme i will be using it, wonder if i could have a mdf skull cut out and have a custom lifting door instead of sliding with the eyes glowing :) spend some time designing it and have it make expensively :) custom cut grills with mesh the lot, i could go wild with it, get my dad to cut everything out as he is good at everything to do with construction

this one looks cool but i cant do it :P

hmm just found out my cousin has a trade card so he can buy everything from B&Q at trade prices. Should save me a bit :) i will check the prices and post the new prices. he priced me up with 25mm mdf at first and its only £21 a sheet lol

forum wont let me send a new post to having to just update this one now. I can get the MDF for £13.11 a sheet and the yacht varnish for £11

So for the frame and varnish its going to cost me;
2 x MDF 2440 x 1220 x 18mm - £13.11
1 x Yacht Varnish 1L - £10.97

Total: £37.19

so its saving me around £13 :) glad i asked now lmao

Edited by - bigJME on 04/05/2012 14:11:32
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  17:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great price! BTW you'd be surprised at how easy it is to work with polystyrene, I was a complete novice - here is mine.

First attempt - ignore the white bits in the photo, the paint was wet and the flash picked up a bit too much!

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  13:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, i was looking at the doors and found it may just be easier to change the design to fit the b&q shelves. Right now its turning into 3 15" tall vivs with a divider inbetween each so that it can be split up and then slowly made taller when i want, or i can have an excuse for another 2 corns :)

will look like this if its the easiest way

then i can have it done without having to have custom stuff made and may be able to get a discount on the glass shelves which are £60 in total for all 6. although the overlap on them will be a huge 75mm which is rather a lot, will have to measure up my lock to see if it will even fit that sort of door overlap.

Edited by - bigJME on 05/05/2012 18:07:17
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  14:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can always use wedges - I've found the locks don't fit my glass doors (vivexotics run rather close together), but I guess it depends on your runners.

Here's how my viv background turned out...next project will be a custom build for Ara when he's big enough.

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  19:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh i may use wedges then they seem better, and nice viv by the way, the background looks good in it

Hmm my dad said he's going to have a look round for some glass doors, the b&q ones are only 10" tall were a normal viv door is 12" so it may be very restricting to how much i can see

I was also doing to use dowels (the same as seen in flat pack furniture) so that everything can be slotted together, locked into place and then taken down easily. Makes it flat pack and easy to get into my room :) the dowels are rather cheap at £30 for 10 but for a basic viv you'd need 2 for every joint, not an issue though if you have loads you havent used :)

Im going to order the runners and one set of glass first so i can get the dimensions set properly due to the runners having a droove to help the glass slide, and since its all going to be in sections i can build one set and just keep adding to it so im in no rush to build it fully straight away

Edited by - bigJME on 07/05/2012 18:04:51
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  21:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think the glass shelves are an excellent budget option but you're right - it'll also restrict what you can put in your viv unless you take the top off every scenery change. The joining method you've described is exactly how vivexotics are put together. Some joints are dowel some are locking screws that you can easily take apart (e.g. the roof so you can put new wires in at any time)

Good luck with the build once you get started, I'm expecting photos!

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  21:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooo you will get plenty of photos lmao, although its my dad that i will make build it lmao, blame him if it goes wrong that way :)
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  11:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should have done this at the start, the b&q glass is taller then what my current viv has by almost an inch, and since money as a little tight right now im going to build the bottom 4ft viv 16" tall so i only need one sheet of mdf to get the project started

ordered the runners today and just can not find a cost effective way to get glass, the bottom doors are not issue but the top is, think the polycarbonate route may have to be taken in the end lets see how deep the runners are when they come. they may be deep enough to prevent the poly bending, the other alternative would of course be simple which i only just considered. Put runners down either side of the frame aswell so when the doors are shut the poly actually cant be pushed because the runners on the sides will keep the sides straight, obvious option but never considered it. because the centre overlaps that wont bend or flex

Edited by - bigJME on 08/05/2012 20:31:12
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  11:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I meant earlier when I said put a lip at the ends where the 'glass' closes - I guess extra runners would do the trick just as well.

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  14:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
using the runners i would struggle because the runners are 18mm wide like the wood so the lip would have needed to be outside the frame and not flush, i will have to see what i can do. going to have the wood and varnish brought next week then will start to construct it, hopefully it doesnt keep raining
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  15:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pfft, what country are you from, some sort of magical doesn't rain one? If, like me, you're from England then good luck with the rain thing :P

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  15:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
england aswell so i have the issue of rain, luckily i have a shed to build it in. Only issue i have to consider is where to leave the viv for 3 weeks while the varnish sets and the smell goes
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  23:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
god my plans are becoming messed up now, if im using poly i can have it in 2 sections, i want to build the smaller one first.... my issue is i dont want to build a low viv like i have now because thats the entire point of me building a tall viv.

Previously my viv was going to be 403mm tall but my current viv is bigger. Heres a rough drawing of my current viv and dimension

and this is what i want my new viv to be like, i cant actually make it any taller out of one sheet of MDF but what do you think

sorry to keep posting but i want to get this right first time so i have to cover every aspect in my head. If those drawings are ok then in total i will need to get the following;

1 x MDF 2440 x 1220 x 18mm - £13.11
1 x Yacht Varnish 1L - £10.97
2 x 6mm 4ft runner sets (top + bottom) - £9.25
2 x 399 x 563 x 6mm Polycarbonate - £16.15

Total: £74.88

expensive i know but after this is done i wont need to buy the varnish again so that will cut it down some, plus its taller and deeper then the normal vivs. Where im planning to put it i cant fit a full sized 4ft viv anyway as i only have 1170mm of space

Edited by - bigJME on 09/05/2012 23:57:21
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  21:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
remind me to never ever plan anything ever again, bit the bullet today to get it out the way, got 2 huge doors, slightly smoked, £10 each, 800x480mm

had the mdf cut etc. had to have 12mm because the 18mm was stupidly heavy, heres some pictures

Doors

Some of the mdf, the sides are seperate

B&Q had no yacht varnish so i will have to get that soon. The runners got here this morning, i dont have vents or a hole cutter large enough for the vents so im going to have them done once its all sorted out. May be done by monday to the point where everything is built besides the vents of course

not a huge glass overlap though and the gap between the glass is rather a lot, the glass is only 5mm and the actual gap for the doors on the runners was 8mm not 6mm which sucks. Heres the link for the glass, i may have to find a way to block up the hole between the glass

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40142658/

Edit: new drawing by the way, i will make a separate post if it helps once im done so what i planned etc. can be seen more easily

Edited by - bigJME on 10/05/2012 22:38:38
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  00:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyway, 20 minutes after getting home heres the viv pretty much finished other then the glass and runners which are being done first thing tomorrow morning

sorry i dont have step by step, my dad works so quickly it was impossible to take any

Edited by - bigJME on 11/05/2012 00:30:08
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  09:21:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's a beast of a pc.

And looks like the viv is comming along nicely!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  09:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, i may put a stainless steel mesh vent in instead of ordering some, we have some industrial mesh sitting around so should be fine to disinfect that :) now im just waiting on varnish, by the way the doors look dark i know but their against a dark background and once there is a light in the viv it shoupd be easy to see through

Heres it with the doors on, not a very good picture so i will try and take a better one, its in a very dark part of my room sadly
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww199/bigJME/shared/IMAG0161.jpg

Edited by - bigJME on 11/05/2012 14:21:13
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  16:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The glass gap - people use those errm..file sorter things? *heads to website to find picture* http://www.bindingbazaar.com/Slide-Binders.asp to block gaps I think?

Looks really good though, I'm very impressed! Why didn't I think of Ikea for other glass?!

Edited by - a2c7 on 11/05/2012 16:29:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000