New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  17:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys, I'm going to be setting up a wooden viv soon and I'm planning on using a lot of polystyrene.

I was wondering if there is any type of glue I should avoid? I'm guessing I'll get told to use the reptile sealant stuff but I've not come across it in the shops near me and was wondering if I could just pick up an alternative from a hardware store like B&Q or Homebase.

If people here think the only method to go with is the sealant I'll just have to order some and wait, but I'm not certain it'll stick polystyrene.

On a similar note: is there a recommended waterproof 'varnish' or top coat for polystyrene for snakes?

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  17:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i use aquarium sealant, to seal corners and such, which you can get at most aquatic storese cheap)(normally quit or i got a big tube on ebay for 2.99. and for sticking things like plants and probes and mats down i use a hot glue gun, which you can get at b and q or the range x

i think but do not hold me to it you can use a Polyurethane varnish which again you can get from b and q or the range.

can i ask why you will be using so much polystyrene?

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  17:32:02  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a2c7

Hi Guys, I'm going to be setting up a wooden viv soon and I'm planning on using a lot of polystyrene.

I was wondering if there is any type of glue I should avoid? I'm guessing I'll get told to use the reptile sealant stuff but I've not come across it in the shops near me and was wondering if I could just pick up an alternative from a hardware store like B&Q or Homebase.

If people here think the only method to go with is the sealant I'll just have to order some and wait, but I'm not certain it'll stick polystyrene.

You have to be carefull with polystyrene apprently theres several different types not all are reptile safe sorry i cant be more specific than that but i remember enquiring about scaping my viv with polystyrene and someone on here brought that to my attention

On a similar note: is there a recommended waterproof 'varnish' or top coat for polystyrene for snakes?

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  19:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments - the polystyrene will be for modelling stuff like backdrops, raising parts of the floor. I'll be putting aspen around the warm hide but the rest will be astroturf and parts will be raised - bridges etc. I'll look into the DIY area for tips on the poly, I think most ppl use the insulation boards rather than bog standard poly, I guess if it's sealed in it may not matter as much.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000