Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Rescued a snake and probably saved the family!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  16:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still kept thinking about my sons friends snake so I went and had a look at him and of course came home with him. The snake has now cost me loads but I don't care at least he is now safe. He was in a filthy viv and the heat mat I could not believe I am surpised the house had not burnt down. A good advert for why stats must be used.

The water bowl was very dirty and slimy I ran my finger on the bottom so you can see what it was like.

And they gave me a box with some substrate in and two mice that they had bought and put in their freezer. Well I'm not sure what had happened to these mice but by god did they stink.

So all in all it cost me £50 for the snake and manky viv. I had to go and buy a stat and a new heat mat and some plants because he only had a hide bringing the total to nearer £100. I know you are all thinking what a mug but at least he is going to be well cared for now and I can sleep at night again He is worth every penny though, Stan is a real sweetie. Will post some pics of him once he has settled.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  16:37:59  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damn i dont think your a mug at all thank god u took him on i assume almost everything u bought other than the snake went straight in the bin ugh how can people keep anythine so badly at least hes got a decent forever home now cant wait for piccys

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  16:43:28  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
crikey what awful conditions!!

Bet he turns out to be the greatest critter ever

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  16:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh i,d have been just the same worrying about the poor snake - lucky fella having you

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  16:49:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bloody hell if they had any sense they would have given you the dude for free.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  17:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww Red, he was one unlucky snakey - but a very lucky one now :D

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  17:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think they gave a damn about the snake just about the money I have to say that Stan seems it reasonable condition. I could not see any burns on him and he is not underweight but extremely strong took me by surprise infact when I held him. There was alot of old skin in the viv in pieces and larger bits and his scales look a bit odd. They seem to have lines through alot of them like a creased piece of paper. I am wondering if that is due to lack of water and being slightly dehydrated he drank a good inch of water from his bowl the first night I had him. He is very active and seems unconcerned by his move so thats good.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  17:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad he is now in safe, responsible hands! It can only get better for this little guy. Of course, we need pics!

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  17:07:56  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's great news that you have gone and got him £100 for peace of mind and a new snake is a bargain I think. Don't understand why people have pets if they have no interest in looking after them Looking forward to some pictures when he is settled.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  17:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
those pics are just horrid, how can any one keep any animal like that! good for you for rescuing him, he'll not know whats hit him having a clean home and nice mice instead of those mankey looking things! look forward to pics

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  18:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck to you and your new snakey. How people can treat anything like that is beyond belief.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  18:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at least he's got a good home now

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  18:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pleased hes now got a lovely home - and yep you've probably saved them from a fire with the state of that mat

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  19:10:27  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well done you. I would have done exactly the same. I am astounded by the state of that heatmat. Can't wait to see pics of the guy

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  19:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh Thanks everyone. I know that I did the right thing but its good to hear it from all of you as well. He is a real character and has already found a special place in my heart . Forgot to mention that he is a CB06 amel and about 54" long he would have been just short of 5ft but he is missing about 4 inches of his tail. Thankfully and surprisingly it is all healed nicely.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  20:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No wonder he has settled in so fast, that is disgusting, 4 inches from his tail? surely that much couldnt have been lost due to retained shed? what happened?

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  20:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They seemed unaware of the tail loss. I think it is from years of retained tail shed they had him from a hatchling. Can't believe someone can have a pet snake from a hatchling then 6 years down the line just get fed up with it and stop looking sfter it.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  21:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not aware of the tail loss???!!!!

Not being funny Red, but it sounds like they never looked after it to start with!! Probably got fed up with it as soon as it started getting bigger and it was more effort to clean out I'm so glad he's got a safe home with you now...

awaiting pics of course!

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  00:25:37  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My Izzy is also missing about 4 inches of his tail. When I bought him the previous owners just said that they hadn't had him officially sexed but they thought he was a female because he had a shorter tail. They didn't seem to realise that it shouldn't be like that. I have no idea how it came to be that much shorter but he also has a deformity a few inches down his neck that could have been caused by an injury or birth defect

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  07:53:05  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bloody Hell!

Firstly, well done with the rescue. No animal should have to live like that.

Secondly, how do you let an animals living conditions get like that? It takes me a hour every 5 days to spot clean 3 vivs, clean and refill water bowls, check over the girls and feed them! And that is on top of full time work and running a 3 bedroom house, going out and seeing my girlfriend. There is just no need for it.

I hope the snake is alright, and suffers no long term problems.

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  08:00:34  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not noticed the tail loss?!?!

Tbh people like that shouldn't have the right to keep animals

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page