New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  22:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to visit Dublin Falconry today! My friend's family owns a gun club and this is a new business after being set up on the premises. It was awesome! I got to fly an owl to and from my hand :D Anybody ever had the chance to do something like that before? It was amazing!

He had lots of falcons too and the SPEED of them was absolutely incredible. He was able to let him fly nearly a kilometer away and with one whistle he can call the bird back within seconds! Here's a few pics, not great quality because they were just on my phone!

Here's some display birds:

And this is his actual hunting bird. She's a proper machine and the only one kept at optimum hunting weight. She's the only one not used for display. She has her own corner of the falconry but you can see she's still not really impressed with all the people around. Apparently she's a killing machine and could easily take down an adult hare.

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  22:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love birds of prey they are just beautiful.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  22:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birds of prey are magic! I'm very lucky to have a good friend who keeps them as a side hobby, so I've had a golden opportunity to train with him on a few occassions. I don't think people realise just how much hard work they are, yet how much of a sense of achievement you can also get from them.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  22:52:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
magnificent beautiful birds

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  22:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very very cool, i used to have a snowy and a barn owl when i was a child x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  23:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a barn owl that I got to fly :)

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

SteGore
Yearling

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  23:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome!

2.2.2.Corns-0.2.0.Cali Kings-0.1.0.MBK-1.0.0.Pastel Boa-1.0.0.CCP-0.1.0.Royal-1.0.0 BRB-0.1.0.Spotted Python-0.1.0.Olive Python-0.1.0.Trinket Snake.-1.0.0.Peppermint Pacman Frog-0.2.0.Train Millipedes-0.1.0.Armoured bush Cricket-2.GALS.6 Albino GALS-6 Pancake Slugs.1.Green Mantis.0.1.0.Shi-tzhu cross.
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  01:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are so beautiful

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  08:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
beautiful always love to see the birds of prey displays, i was very chuffed to see a pair of buzzerds soaring over my garden this weekend - common i know but have never seen them over a fairly well populated bit of Swindon !!!!!

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  09:16:21  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jelly, they are so lovely!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  09:20:31  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've had 2 tawnies one when I was about 10 she was an injured wild bird and 1 which we bought from a falconry centre and was captive bred, she was a rescue from a cruelty case and she was a sweetheart, she hated men but she loved children and we spent many a very happy afternoon at my sons school in the art class, she was never flown free as she used to attack men especially if they wore anything on their heads.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  12:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
birds of prey are stunning

Edited by - kev 5 on 09/04/2012 12:24:42
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  12:32:01  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
awww aweesome pics kate ive had the privilige of working with birds of prey and i love them but i have to say barn owls are my fav next to tawnies i used to work at secret world wildlife rescue and rehab centre we had a tawnie own,barn owl and resident eagle owls there the eagle owls werent tame and couldnt be handled but the tawnie and barn owl were imprinted to people we used to do talks with them i love birds of prey ive never been to a falconry centre but id love too

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  13:40:13  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Was down in devon last year with the family and got to see a few falconry shows and loved them. Got to say the peregrine falcon was my favorite closely followed by the eagle owl that was nearly as big as my kids :)

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  16:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow bet that was an awsome day, birds of prey are stunning, we had a little guy turn up at our stable yard one day, luckly one of the girls knew some one whos dad kept bird of prey who came and took him, said had we not found him he would probably have died. he had tags so was able to be returned to his owner. heres a pic of the little guy:

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page