Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Houdini090
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  20:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all..

I've bought Houdini a new home, see below for a piccie

As Houdini is only about 8 months old, the viv is obviously too big for him at the moment - so I have made a partition down the width of the viv to make a smaller room for him. As he grows, the plan is to move the partition along to the right.

Houdini's area is to the left of the partition, I only filled the right side with substrate and the decor so it didn't look too empty :)

The reason I am writing a post is because I am having trouble getting the heatmat up to a suitable temperature for the hot side.
This viv has a special slot to slide in the heatmat, and also has an area of the wooden base cut away, with glass in its place.

See below for some more pics:

Below shows where the heatmat is under the glass, and also the thermometer and thermostat probes. The two probes are only just visible, one under my thumb, the other under my finger.

As you can see, I can only get the thermometer to show a maximum of 24.7 degrees. I do NOT have the heatmat going through the thermostat - the temp won't go any higher, so as it is, I didn't see any need.

Has anyone got any ideas to why the temperature won't reach the high twenties??

Many thanks
Richard

Corns7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, consider getting a thermostat so then you can get the temperature just right for you little snakey!
For the time being maybe try taping the mat to the glass bottom it might work or may get a little to hot because there may not be enough air flow. But try different things and see what works best for young Houdini!
Thanks,
Jamie

0.1 Carolina corn-Willameana

1.0 springer spaniel- Seb

1.0 shih tzu- Charlie

0.1 black cat- Luna
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:04:48  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The heat mat should be placed in-between the two pieces of glass not under it. run it through your stat and keep an eye on the temps and adjust accordingly :)

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Houdini090
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply Jamie..

The heatmat is already really close to the underside of the glass, and the the thermometer probe is as shown, right on top of the glass.

I do have a thermostat - but I've not connected it up, as the heatmat doesn't get hot enough to call for using one.

If the issue that the hot area was too hot, then I'd use the thermostat.

Cheers
Richard
Go to Top of Page

Keefy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im guessing you are struggling cos you have quite a small heat mat (?) for the small partitioned side of the viv?
Yet you are heating the glass, and that heat will be dissipating over the entire surface, so the large unused side will be draining some of the heat from the smaller side thats in use.
No point in getting a thermostat at the moment, they can't increase the heat a mat puts out.
Can you use a bigger heat mat? Or maybe even use a light or alternative heating in the large area?

Anery Corn - Sherlock
Beagle/Basset - Harry
Chinchilla - Colin
Chicken - Chook
Chicken - Chook
Chicken - Chook
Chicken - Chook
Go to Top of Page

Houdini090
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blimey Donnie I think you may have cracked it! Glad I put that pic up of the rear of the viv.

Looks pretty narrow gap between the two pieces of glass, but I'll see if I can slot it in there! Will see how I get on.

Thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

Houdini090
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply Keefy - I'm going to give Donnie's suggestion a whirl... hopefully that'll be it.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:11:48  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Houdini090

Blimey Donnie I think you may have cracked it! Glad I put that pic up of the rear of the viv.

Looks pretty narrow gap between the two pieces of glass, but I'll see if I can slot it in there! Will see how I get on.

Thanks!!!

I have the same but smaller version, please make sure you use the stat as they are essential.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those vivs are designed specifically for the heat mat to go between the glass sheets as Donnie says. Good spot by Donnie though, I didn't spot it and had to scroll back up to have a look lol!

Go to Top of Page

Houdini090
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Donnie

quote:

Thanks!!!

I have the same but smaller version, please make sure you use the stat as they are essential.

I will do Donnie - thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:19:57  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Richard, did the viv not have a polystyrene layer in the cavity beneath the glass?

Go to Top of Page

Houdini090
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it did! I still have it, I'll slot it back in.... I most have been having a dopey evening when I set this up!
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:24:34  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes it did! I still have it, I'll slot it back in.... I most have been having a dopey evening when I set this up!

Good, this will help insulate and 'push' the heat up into the viv rather than let it escape through the bottom.

Go to Top of Page

Corns7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  21:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's what that gap is for!

0.1 Carolina corn-Willameana

1.0 springer spaniel- Seb

1.0 shih tzu- Charlie

0.1 black cat- Luna
Go to Top of Page