New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

first-corn
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2012 :  22:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting my very first snake ever on saturday! I'm some what nervous, but excited at the same time lol.It's a male 6 month old corn snake emel colour (I think thats the right spelling) he is 10" long so far and eating pinkies so I'm told by the breeder. I'm going to a reptile store on tuesday to buy a starter kit for him so I can have it ready for saturday when I get him. I've been reading some stickies here on setting up vivs, but I noticed theres no lighting! Don't corns need a light, or is the heat mat enough?

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2012 :  22:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome
Congrats on your first!

Most, if not all, snakes dont need lighting really - ambient lighting that most people have in any room tends to be enough for them; all the heat they need tends to come from the heat mat
Speaking of heat mats... make sure your starter kit comes with a thermostat. Its an essential bit of kit that most setups seem to miss!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2012 :  23:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not really is the easy answer. If you want lighting then an LED strip will be enough as they dont kick out heat like bulbs do. A few 'starter' kits I've seen have had UVA/UVB strip lights in but this is not a requirement for snakes, they get all the calcium and nutrients directly from what they eat and they hide when the sun is out so its not even required in nature. As figs says, a thermostat is an essential piece of kit and a digital thermometer too, those dial ones are useless.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2012 :  09:51:44  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Normal daylight is fine for corns. As lotabob said.. an LED strip would be fine lighting wise if you really wanted some xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

first-corn
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2012 :  22:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answers, I have already book marked a brand new thermostat and 2 led thermometers I'm buying tomorrow to add to the starter kit, thanks
Go to Top of Page

Cypher
Snake Mite

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  03:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also wondering if snakes are bothered by different light spectrums?

My blue night light tube recently needed replacing & as the pet shop was out of stock I settled for a normal fish tank gro-light...suffice to say my corn seems to hide more & is less active since I've changed spectrums.

Would there be a connection at all?
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2012 :  07:10:36  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think blue light shows in their visible spectrum. The fish tank glow light probably does.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 20/03/2012 07:11:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000