New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  00:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am chewing over building a vivarium....it will be pretty simple to build,very cheap and quite large,and id really appreciate if you can point out any floors in the plan before i start.

Basiclly,the viv will be in a window in the lounge.

The window is 176cm wide,112cm high & has a deep windowsill of 32cm.

My plan would be to buy some second hand secondry double glazing and there we have it....a sealed unit,with glass that slides open easy for cleaning and getting her out,but too heavy for a snake to move,easy to drill holes in the alloy secondry glazing to allow vents and cables.

The window never gets direct sunlight at any time,so wouldnt cook the snake,is double glazed so wouldnt freeze the snake,and knowone ever passes the window and its frosted,so nothing could scare the snake.

The window never got opened anyway so i wouldnt be loosing a function of the house at all,and with all the levels and climbing branches that a viv of that size could hold,the snake could have a very nice life.

What do you think guys? Nuts? Any potential probs?

Cheers

madmartyn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  06:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not sure a heat mat would be able to cope in the winter even double glazing gets cold in the winter i may be wrong though, if it,s not used could you not board up the window with a few shapes cut into board at differnt levels to allow light in

0.1.0 Okeetee/caramel thumper
0.1.0 bearded dragon izzie
0.1.0 bci lola
0.0.1 hypno toad (albino horned toad)
0.1.0 king dr lecter
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  09:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty nuts! I cant really picture it in my head though.... Are you any good at drawing?? :P

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  09:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My feeling is that the snake would get cold. We have double glazing but you can still feel a real change in temperature when you put your hand just a few inches from the glass. If you want to make a viv that is unusual look for some piece of old furniture in a second hand shop that you can fiddle around with. Think the snake would appreciate this more than living in a window.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  09:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madmartyn
not sure a heat mat would be able to cope in the winter even double glazing gets cold in the winter i may be wrong though, if it,s not used could you not board up the window with a few shapes cut into board at differnt levels to allow light in

Well the window is used to let in light,but not opened.
Also the trouble with boarding up is it would start making the viv too narrow
Go to Top of Page

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  09:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin
Pretty nuts! I cant really picture it in my head though.... Are you any good at drawing?? :P

LOL,am ok at drawing,but less good at getting that drawing on this site.
Just imagine the window dimentions and the 32cm depth of the window,and the secondry glazing is put at the inner most part of that depth flush with the wall,so that leaves a 31cm gap between the old window and the new glazing,thus creating the sealed viv.
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  10:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the others, I would think double glazing still gets too cold for a snake to be permanently up against.

Go to Top of Page

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  10:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red123
My feeling is that the snake would get cold. We have double glazing but you can still feel a real change in temperature when you put your hand just a few inches from the glass. If you want to make a viv that is unusual look for some piece of old furniture in a second hand shop that you can fiddle around with. Think the snake would appreciate this more than living in a window.

Yes,this might be a prob thinking about it.
On the plus side,it is the warmest part of the room,with a large rad just underneith the window and a large log burner just to the left.
In fact ive taken temperatures at different times of the day,and this side of the room is 4c warmer than the other side where the present viv is.
I thought of sealing all the window joints with sylicone sealer to help also and the possiblity of addition heating if needed.
Trouble is i wouldnt really know until its done wever it works.
For sure at the moment,your right,i too can feel a bit of a cool breeze right next to the window.
Go to Top of Page

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  10:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny
I agree with the others, I would think double glazing still gets too cold for a snake to be permanently up against.

You could be right mate.
Darn it,it would have looked awsome.
Im gonna set up a thermometer probe right next to the glass tonight to get a reading....will let you know the result.
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  10:38:28  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
also windows tend to get damp during the winter due to the warm are against the cold window, which could cause problems with humidity in the viv or the wood suffering from the damp.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  11:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

also windows tend to get damp during the winter due to the warm are against the cold window, which could cause problems with humidity in the viv or the wood suffering from the damp.

Thats a very good point.
Ive read on here there prone to the humid conditions.
Go to Top of Page

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  11:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just taken some temperatures anyway and they are as follows......
Heating been off for 4 hours and temp and position of probe......

Outside: 11.1c
Touching glass: 15.1c
10mm from glass: 16.4c
20mm from glass: 17.2c
50mm from glass: 17.9c
1000mm from glass (room temp): 19.2c

So that coupled with the possible damp issue would appear not to work
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  15:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds as though maybe it would be more suitable for some sort of frog, not that I know anything about frogs lol.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  17:31:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

Sounds as though maybe it would be more suitable for some sort of frog, not that I know anything about frogs lol.

Lol me neither.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  18:12:38  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you have good ventilation and used a ceramic heater instead of a mat then you'd lose the problem of cold air and humidity

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  19:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

if you have good ventilation and used a ceramic heater instead of a mat then you'd lose the problem of cold air and humidity

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You got me thinking again.
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  20:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I probably wouldn't go for it.. You sound like you might be handy enough at DIY so I'd be inclined to transform an old wardrobe or something. At least then you aren't completely writing off a window that you may need (who knows). And you also have the option of moving the wardrobe if you need to!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  22:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Personally I probably wouldn't go for it.. You sound like you might be handy enough at DIY so I'd be inclined to transform an old wardrobe or something. At least then you aren't completely writing off a window that you may need (who knows). And you also have the option of moving the wardrobe if you need to!

Well,to be honest Katie,ive got the lounge just how i want it furniture wise,and dont really want to stick a big bit of furniture in it.
Im happy with just upgrading the aquarium to a normal viv you buy if the window idea is a no go.
I just thought of the window idea because,
a) want to give the snake a nice lot of room.
b) It wont take up anymore space.
c) Would look awsome with the right lighting and plants/decor etc

Have been looking at those great value viv's in the surrey pet supplies.

If i do go for one from them,i want to get the right size that will not need enlarging at a later date.

The LX 36 and 48 seem a good size http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/vivexotic-lx-vivarium-range/

My question please,is will an adult corn only need the 36 inch one or would it need (or prefere) the 48 inch one?

Many thanks

Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  00:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it might be worth checking out yr local charity shops- I've got a non standard viv made out of a glass fronted bookcase- cost ten quid plus a quid for the vent thingies and now houses 2 adult corns, one on each shelf- sounds weird but is fully functional- if you want something a bit more 'unusual' then second hand furniture shops are definitely worth a mooch...

I saw a lovely one recently- a tall cupboardy thing with a glass fronted section at the top- you could have sll yr crockery on one bit and then a snakey above it, guarding the silverware, haha

ssssssss

ps- I do think, as others have said: a window directly connected to outdoors is likely to present more problems than you anticipate, re controlling temps, etc

I hope you manage to come up with yr interesting snake house, by whatever means !!

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....

Edited by - nickyff on 10/03/2012 00:42:02
Go to Top of Page

Ratty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  02:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nickyff

it might be worth checking out yr local charity shops- I've got a non standard viv made out of a glass fronted bookcase- cost ten quid plus a quid for the vent thingies and now houses 2 adult corns, one on each shelf- sounds weird but is fully functional- if you want something a bit more 'unusual' then second hand furniture shops are definitely worth a mooch...

I saw a lovely one recently- a tall cupboardy thing with a glass fronted section at the top- you could have sll yr crockery on one bit and then a snakey above it, guarding the silverware, haha

ssssssss

ps- I do think, as others have said: a window directly connected to outdoors is likely to present more problems than you anticipate, re controlling temps, etc

I hope you manage to come up with yr interesting snake house, by whatever means !!

Thanks mate,thats a good idea actually.
I do like a bit of charity shop browsing lol
Know just what you mean regarding the display case,as used to have one,and yeah,would be perfect for the job. It even had built in lights!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000