Sensor Placement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

innocentspyke
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  02:40:44  Show Profile  Visit innocentspyke's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Morning All,

Just a quickie (ooh err)...

On my first setup, I have a faunarium sitting on a heat mat with the mat sensor between the faun and mat.

I have a thermometer probe inside the faun above the mat.

Is this ok? The reading on the thermometer is steady at 29c

Marc

1.0.0 Amel (As Yet Un-Named)

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  11:14:21  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sounds fine

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  17:01:39  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sounds all good! although i tend to put my stat probe on the substrate above the heat mat. banded to the thermometer probe! not taped tho! never use tape! xD

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Leopard gecko (Meg)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons
Wish list - Chinese water dragon, Tegu! Rainbow boa!

R.I.P Shayde
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  17:03:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
both probes should alway touch the mat, so sounds all good x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

innocentspyke
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  22:13:14  Show Profile  Visit innocentspyke's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cheers guys :)

My first corn, so just making sure :)

Will pop pics up soon :)

1.0.0 Amel (As Yet Un-Named)
Go to Top of Page

2corns
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  16:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all... Im new to keeping corns.. So rather than post a new post ill be cheeky and highjack this one lol..
We have got my sons corn in a wooden viv now, with the heatmat under it and the prob inside the viv above where the heat mat is.. Thing is it doesnt feel very hot... Any ideas please :)
Cheers Claire x
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  16:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me both probes should be together UNDER the substrate but in the faun/viv... And 2corns wood is a extreemly good insulator so i would put your heat mat in the viv not under
Go to Top of Page

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  16:47:59  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2corns

Hi all... Im new to keeping corns.. So rather than post a new post ill be cheeky and highjack this one lol..
We have got my sons corn in a wooden viv now, with the heatmat under it and the prob inside the viv above where the heat mat is.. Thing is it doesnt feel very hot... Any ideas please :)
Cheers Claire x

you need to remove the heat mat from under the wood. it will not do anything there im afraid. it needs to go inside the viv under the substrate and you need a thermostat on it to keep the temperature from going too high! :)
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  17:00:21  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by innocentspyke

Morning All,

Just a quickie (ooh err)...

On my first setup, I have a faunarium sitting on a heat mat with the mat sensor between the faun and mat.

I have a thermometer probe inside the faun above the mat.

Is this ok? The reading on the thermometer is steady at 29c

Marc

Sounds to me that you have it just right. Just be careful the temperature doesnt creep much higher than that.

Everyone has their own way of setting the probes but I have found the best way is as you have it with the thermostat probe under the faun and the thermometer probe inside on the base of the faun above the mat. I have the 2 probes banded together on top of the mat when I'm using vivs.

2corns - as said already, you need to put your mat inside the wooden viv as the heat wont be able to penetrate through effectively enough. You need to have it plugged into a thermostat so that it stays at the correct temperature and have a digital thermometer to monitor the temperatures. the thermostat and thermometer probes lay on the heatmat.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000