attention of leopard gecko owners
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  21:53:45  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi all...
I recently rescued my brothers leopard gecko, i believe she is in bad condition. she is approx 4 years old, 5-6 inches long and looks a bit skinny.
the reason im worried is she didnt have a heat mat before i got her (for around 4 months) hasnt been cleaned out for 6 months (untill i got her) and is reluctant to eat and seems very slow and sluggish.
so if any one has experience with leopard gecko's any advice would be appreciated.

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  21:55:23  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry wrong section :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  22:46:33  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Get a setup sorted for it asap and get a nice bowl of water with maybe some crit care or teeny bit of blue powerade mixed in, with a small bowl (lid of jar) with some calci powder for it to lick.
Hopefully after a few days of being up to temp then it'll perk up a bit and start drinking, when it does, then offer it some nice soft prey items, waxies or something, although they are better as a treat prey item, they'll be softer and easier to digest then hard shelled crix as what could be a first meal for a while.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  23:11:29  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cheers for the info K i have got the set up sorted tonight, when you say blue powerade do you mean the drink? (sorry if thats a daft question) and im going to get her some live waxies tomorrow as she doesnt seem to like the dried version.
Also i have read the caresheet on the reptilian is it right that the temps need dropping on a night time?

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  23:33:35  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i just recently re-homed one myself! pretty much in the same position. i dusted some bugs with calci and fed them to her calcuim with D. then put a small dish of just normal calcium in her viv. its most probably the heat that it making it ill. im sure with your care it will be right as rain soon. let us know how it comes along! :) i do not drop the temps at night and shes very happy. maybe i should tho i dont know. haven't had her for long.

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Leopard gecko (Meg)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons
Wish list - Chinese water dragon, Tegu! Rainbow boa!

R.I.P Shayde
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  00:19:35  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I never dropped the temps at night for mine when heated with a mat, it is recommended but doesn't do them any harm.
If you use a lamp for heating, then you may want a couple degree drop, I found that when heating my Leo with a lamp a couple degree drop at night and he was active earlier in the evening and having a good hunt around.

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  01:14:12  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
koolio shes on a mat so shall leave temps be.
so the powerade thing??????????

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  02:45:54  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry, forgot to mention that.
The powerade is the blue drink yes, it's got some magical powers (that I can't remember now) that does something to help boost electrolytes or something like that. It's a bit of a pick me up similar to reptoboost, but not as dodgy if slightly higher mixed.
The equivalent of 1 teaspoon to 4 tablespoons I used to mix.
Was quite effective to be honest.

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  23:14:09  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just a quick update
so far she has only eaten 1 waxy, but is loving the heat mat! but does not seem to want to move
ive put some of the powerade concoction in with her but unsure if she's touched it. but hopefully in a few weeks she'll perk up
shall post pics soon
and thanks for the help :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  01:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its no surprise it was reluctant to eat etc without heat, it will warm up and come round and be hungry soon enough. Poor thing, lucky you have rescued it, they are lovely little lizards, I dont have one but they are so sweet. Good luck nursing it back to health.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  02:31:46  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah me and me brother get on well but a few swear-words went in his genral direction!
although he should of done some research a LRS gave him very bad advice.
for example he had the heat mat UNDER the viv with no stat which resulted in the bottom of the viv burning and the carpet in his rented house (ouch, no bond return there) i can also post pics of this as i have the viv! think it might be a good advert for why a stats a good idea and if your a dumb ass you shouldt own reps/pets!

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!

Edited by - mikeyd_26 on 11/03/2012 02:40:26
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  13:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyd_26

think it might be a good advert for why a stats a good idea and if your a dumb ass you shouldt own reps/pets!

Couldnt agree more especially with the last bit!
How old is your brother? even though there is no excuse for not cleaning out for 6 months

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  12:00:53  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
he's 22!

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic