Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Ok...here goes (FAO lotabob and whoever else!)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  19:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah Mort, that was the worry alright! Like i said in the original post, I was just about coping with pictures of tarantulas and it was a close up of a big brown house spider that reaaalllllly freaked me out! But i'm still going to try. My mentality is this: I love snakes, and some people fear them. If i found a snake in my bed i'd be delighted! I'd give it a name and take a picture and have a little scrap book. Imagine how HAPPY i'd be if i loved spiders enough to do that haha.

But realistically speaking, I hate the little bas**rds and there is very little hope of me ever being able to control my bowels when they scuttle out from underneath things.

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  20:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Imagine them as fluffy bunnies?

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  20:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could think to yourself look it's a little spider I probably weigh 1000 times more than it and it can't really hurt me, so why don't I take it outside and put it under some wood. Or just squash it to death!
Go to Top of Page

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  20:37:35  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptillian23

You could think to yourself look it's a little spider I probably weigh 1000 times more than it and it can't really hurt me, so why don't I take it outside and put it under some wood. Or just squash it to death!

i always think like that. we had a house spider in our bathroom for over 3 years then the other week he got squished on the top of the door by accident. i miss her wierdly she was called jeffery. we diddnt know it was a female until she had babys. LOL

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Leopard gecko (Meg)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons
Wish list - Chinese water dragon, Tegu! Rainbow boa!

R.I.P Shayde
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  07:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
i always think like that. we had a house spider in our bathroom for over 3 years then the other week he got squished on the top of the door by accident. i miss her wierdly she was called jeffery. we diddnt know it was a female until she had babys. LOL

Ha Ha LOL
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  09:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darrkang3l

quote:
Originally posted by reptillian23

Ewwwwwwwwwwww

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  18:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
see i dont have to try and work myself up in to killing them the springer does that for me, plus then i don't feel bad for killing it as it was the dog: which makes it circle of life! thats my reasoning anyway!!

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  20:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lupi lou

see i dont have to try and work myself up in to killing them the springer does that for me, plus then i don't feel bad for killing it as it was the dog: which makes it circle of life! thats my reasoning anyway!!

Awh lucky! My dog has the killer instinct of a hamster and my cat is recently deceased!

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  20:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tarantulas are very different from house spiders. They have 2 ways they can hurt you (they very rarely do though), house spiders have none at all. Tarantulas are cute, house spiders are their made safe miniatures.

I always find that learning all about something will often help you break the fear. Most house spiders prey on very small insects that if spiders didnt exist would totally over run us.

A bit part of the fear is normally their speed, but if you think of it in relation to your horse even at full tilt the spider would be left for dust even if the horse was idly walking along stopping to munch grass, polos and sugar cubes along the way. I know which animal I'd prefer to be stood in front of as they run at me.

And the final thing I'd add to all that is you ultimately have the choice of whether that spider lives or dies, you could kill it with a strategically waved handkerchief or you could acknowledge that it poses you no threat at all and allow it on its way, its basically made a booboo by letting itself be seen by you in the first place so it cant be that clever.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  20:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry about your cat. i did make my old lab phobic of spiders!! cos i'd get hysterical and jump on a chair shouting "get it get it" the poor girl would panic, and once she realised what set me off she'd painc before i'd even stared creating!! couldn't say the words get it without her getting upset.

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  20:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lupi lou

sorry about your cat. i did make my old lab phobic of spiders!! cos i'd get hysterical and jump on a chair shouting "get it get it" the poor girl would panic, and once she realised what set me off she'd painc before i'd even stared creating!! couldn't say the words get it without her getting upset.

Awhhh thats awful poor doggie haha. My dog runs over as if she's gonna save me and then she just sniffs it and strolls back to bed!

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  01:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any progress on this Katie? You would think been around stables you'd be more than used to Charlottes been all round you.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  10:19:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Any progress on this Katie? You would think been around stables you'd be more than used to Charlottes been all round you.

So.....no progress at all lol. Infact I was sitting in the sun yesterday and somebody pointed out that there was a spider under the arm of my deck chair. So... I basically did some sort of gymnastic maneuver flipping the chair over in the process and then killed the f***er!

As for the stables, I just try not to notice them and shake everything before i use it lol. I was thinking about your previous post yesterday cause I was standing in a field catching unhandled young horses. They were all running around like mad things and i was like...''hmmmm i'd rather lie down on the ground in front of these than see a spider running on the floor'' lol There must be something wrong with my brain!

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  10:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PMSL Katie, I know exactly how you feel because I'm just as bad, they just turn me into a gibbering wreck. Mind you, you're braver than me, I can't even get near enough to kill them incase they 'jump or fly up at me' . Whenever my Husband gets the sun loungers out (not often in this country!) I make him tip them upside down and shake them all out. They have to get a real spanking about before I would even consider sitting my posterior on one of them lol.

We've got those ultrasonic things plugged in all over the house to deter them because we live next to fields and were always getting the repulsive creatures running around the house they seem to work, they emit the sound through the walls to deter arachnids and rodents etc.

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  13:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've been told if you put conkers in each corner of your room repels them too, not tryed that though as the spaniel would run off with them! theres nothing wrong with your brain Katie,phobias can be an irational thing! i know a spider can't hurt me and i know am being silly when i freak out but that dosen't make my phobia go away :-)

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  17:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kez and Lupi I think we should all try and conquer it together. First one with a pic of a house spider in their hand wins :P

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  17:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Lupi - Conkers, yes! Put them in the corner of your windowsill! My grandma does this, she lives in the country, keeps them out a treat! Not sure how it works exactly mind haha!
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  21:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ Katie - Errrrrrrrrrrrm, nah!

0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  21:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kez

@ Katie - Errrrrrrrrrrrm, nah!

Hah of course not!! lololololololol

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  23:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weirdest thing, after reading your 'challenge' Katie I went outside to my wheelie bin to get rid of some rubbish and there on the wall was an eight legged beastie!!!!! OK, so my first thought was 'ugh, stay away from me you ugly b*****' and then I thought, which concerns me greatly, shall I pick it up and get a photo of it and post it on the forum!!!! . Of course, that thought lasted a nano second (or maybe not quite that long!) because then when I envisaged it, all I could see was me screaming banshee stylie, running around the house like a crazy woman with my arms and legs flailing around and screaming at my Hubby to 'get it off me, get it off me'

Yup, that's about as close as I'm going to get I think

0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly