Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Ok...here goes (FAO lotabob and whoever else!)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  20:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've decided that I'm fed up being absolutely terrified of spiders. I'm enlisting the help of all you exotic keepers that probably don't mind them too much!

Here's the extent of my : I literally start sweating if I see a picture of one.
I've spent the last hour reading the first 2 pages of results that came up after googling ''I'm so scared of spiders'' to try and find a solution to my absolute terror. Obviously a lot of the articles have pictures of spiders in them. I was sitting here shivering and sweating at all the tarantula pics that kept popping up as i scrolled and then BANG, a big close up of an ugly brown house spider, like the kind that does be in your house. I literally nearly shat my pants!!!

This is THE most impractical fear because I spend most of my time outside in barns and sheds and stables with the horses. Spiders everywhere!

I think there is hope for me however!! Every time lotabob puts up a photo of Trixie his pinky red leggy creature, I find her more and more......interesting?? Why is it that I don't understand how people can be scared of snakes and yet I would probably knock a baby into the path of an oncoming vehicle to get away from somebody chasing me with a spider.

I think i would literally be unstoppable if i wasn't scared of spiders! Heights, water, snakes, dogs, flying.......I'm fine with them! And they're on the list of most common phobias in the world.
I've decided that I'm fed up being absolutely terrified of spiders. I'm enlisting the help of all you exotic keepers that probably don't mind them too much!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  20:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is hope for you i am also phobic, there have been many occasions on the yard where i have spooked horses as their rug has been launched across the yard cos there was a spider on it! i work at a local college feeding their animals at a weekend and they have two spiders a pink toed and a chilli rose. i started off where i could look at them through the glass eventually the tech decided we would be a bit more active with my desensitising and she brought out the chilli and had it on her hand it was inches away from me, my legs felt like jelly! i am asked to i want to have a go... next think i know i have a spider in my hand! with the tech holding my wrist so i can't send it in to orbit!! am a long way off cured but i can now deal with the two at college. it definatly helped having some one who i trusted help me out as i knew she wouldn't push the issue.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  20:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think i need to do that, as much as it will kill me inside! I might ask the nice chap in my reptile shop to help me. I was half convinced that I should buy a chilli rose and just learn to love it.... but then I remembered that I would most certainly cry myself to sleep every night if i knew it was in the house.

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  21:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i wouldn't fancy having one in the house!! although they are interesting creatures! am sure he'll help you. its quite a sureal experiance when you hold one! i still can't believe i acutally did it i was buzzing for days. let us know how you get on!

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  22:08:56  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
dont worry theres nothing wrong with been scared of spiders there evil and unatural and they ARE out to get us! :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  22:12:53  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can I help by posting pics of my black and white leggy creature? [;p]

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  22:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know it was mean to laugh reading this thread, but really good on you for trying to get over your fear, hope the guy in the rep shop will be gentle with you, and in a few weeks id bet you DO buy one, WILL love it, and WONT cry cuz its in the house!!!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  23:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dancross0

Can I help by posting pics of my black and white leggy creature? [;p]

only if it's a dog/cat/hamster!! .....post away lol. Your creature can be step one in the program. It may help if it has a silly name. Laurence the spider or something:p

Thanks for the support and/or LAUGHTER guys. I just got into bed after doing ''the spider check :p Im after taking out my contacts too so I am at my most vunerable! It's time I got over this stupid fear lol.

Thanks to G for editing the original post after I repeated myself several times!!!!

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP

Edited by - Katie.Dublin on 07/03/2012 23:17:07
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  23:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyd_26

dont worry theres nothing wrong with been scared of spiders there evil and unatural and they ARE out to get us! :)

.....They are aren't they? :'(

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  00:14:36  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I would probably knock a baby into the path of an oncoming vehicle to get away from somebody chasing me with a spider.

This had me laughing. god my humor is so dark. it is a very interesting way to put it tho! ahah

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Leopard gecko (Meg)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons
Wish list - Chinese water dragon, Tegu! Rainbow boa!

R.I.P Shayde
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  01:01:58  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

I think i need to do that, as much as it will kill me inside! I might ask the nice chap in my reptile shop to help me. I was half convinced that I should buy a chilli rose and just learn to love it.... but then I remembered that I would most certainly cry myself to sleep every night if i knew it was in the house.

Lol i had the exact same thought in the reptile shop the other day they had spiderlings for sale however i know what im like even if i was terrified of the bloody thimg im still gonna get attached to it and if i didnt get over my phonbia id have a painfull rehoming to deal with as a result i think ill just live with my phobia lmao

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  01:08:05  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go for it Katie.

I think you are going the right way by starting with photos. Remember that you are only looking at pixels. Stick with the rep in the pet shop for as long as he can stick with you.

I don't have arachnaphobia but I still jumped when a humungus house spider called Matilda scuttled across the carpet. It was just the fact of unexpected movement seen out the corner of my eye. It took half an hour of me scuttling about on the carpet with a tumbler to corner and trap her. Poor thing obviously suffered from Baldyphobia. Once caught I could see that she was actually a lot smaller than the monster I first saw. I felt really guilty about terrifying poor little Matilda.

Good luck and persevere, you will get there in your own time.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  08:38:21  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here goes. Spider pic incoming!

She is called Angel, if that helps (my ex named her!)...

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  10:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..............It's got those evil little eyes :'(

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  10:29:09  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Those spiders don't really bother me too much. They just look like cuddly toys ones. It's the small ones with the long thin spindly legs that creep me out

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  11:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not nearly as bothered by tarantulas as I am by house spiders!! Although to be fair that's probably because there is very little chance of a tarantula scuttling through my bedroom at night lol - doubt I'd be so happy if I was in the middle of a jungle...!!

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  13:14:31  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used to be the same katie... but then when Joani was a toddler, she became terrified of them. So I had to learn to get over it to make sure she didnt "learn" to be terrified of them from me.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  14:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha nice idea in theory katie....unless you're like me!

I too am totally pathetic when it comes to spiders,I seem to lose control over my vocal chords and body movements and yep,if I'm looking through a book and turn to a page with a big spider on it gets thrown across the room till I can calm down enough to cautiously take a look lol!

However a couple of years ago I too made the decision to hold a chilean rose named Isobel at a local garden centre as I was sick to the back teeth of this stupid arachnophobia!

Cue spider pic.

Yep,thats my hand

It really was a massive achievement for me,that much of one that I broke down in tears afterwards lol
I went back on several other occassions to hold her and got rather a soft spot for her,in fact I was gutted when they got rid of all the animals including her.

The outcome of it wasn't so great for me though,I'd still hold a tarantula as long as it was calm BUT I'm still petrified of any other spider,its not cured my phobia at all! I had a chat with a bloke at a rep show last year who bought a tarantula to try and cure his arachnophobia,he ended up with about 15 tarantulas and was looking for more....but he's still scared of house spiders etc.
I'm not trying to put you off or put a downer on your idea,I think its fab and you should hold one if you can,but I thought it fair to warn you it may not change how you are in normal circumstances. Sorry!

PS. It may just be that I'm odd and happened to bump into another odd person lol!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  18:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'vegot to admit house spiders dostill scare me and even the chilli makes me jump if she moves suddenly but i am now able to change the cotton wool in both hers and the pink toes tanks and the pink toe can jump!! regarding cute names one of the lecturers at college has a t called legs which i think is cool! she also got one of 8's sibblings which she named mr bojangles!!

1.0.1 Corns
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  19:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go for it! cure your arachnophobia! Personally I love spiders (that includes House spiders) but once there was a house spider on the wall and I went up to it show I wasn't scared, and then it jumped in my mouth! But don't let that put you off house spiders, there's plenty of worse ones out there!
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  19:28:47  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lupi lou

i'vegot to admit house spiders dostill scare me and even the chilli makes me jump if she moves suddenly but i am now able to change the cotton wool in both hers and the pink toes tanks and the pink toe can jump!! regarding cute names one of the lecturers at college has a t called legs which i think is cool! she also got one of 8's sibblings which she named mr bojangles!!

I used to have a pink toe called Bob...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000