Hiding wires in a viv.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  18:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you don't like exposed wiring in your vivs, here is a quick guide to hiding them.

My vivs have solid backs with no cut outs for wiring.

At most, you will need to know to wire a plug, and drill a hole!

First, drill the hole for the wires. I used a 13mm bit.

The exposed wood inside the hole was then sealed with PVA and left to dry.

Next, thread through the mat stat probe and the thermometer probe.

Then remove the plug from the heat mat, and wrap an elastic band around the end of the cable.

Move the elastic band closer to the mat.

Next, thread the stat probe and thermometer probe through the elastic band. Use another elastic band to hold the two probes together.

Then slide the wires back through the hole in the viv. The elastic band blocks the hole preventing any escape!

This may not be watertight, so wrap some kitchen roll around the wires to prevent a (nasty) leak!

Hope this is useful!

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  15:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like you Dan I can't stand seeing cables anywhere, I do the same only I use CT1 sealant to make the hole good, I also use thin conduit to conceal the lighting wires across the roof. Good post I hope members make use of it.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)

Edited by - Okeetee Mick on 03/03/2012 17:30:32
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  18:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oooooh both fantastic ideas!! i don't like seeing the wires, although my oh regulary tells me i have ocd!! i will be showing him these pics as i let him to all the diy lol

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Zee94
Egg

74 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  14:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this might sound a bit silly but how did you take off the plug and wire it back together? Is it easy or hard to do?
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  17:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just undo the screw on the back of the plug and your see how it's wired. (brown-live and blue-neutral). heat mats dont have an earth but if you need to put a plug on something that does,it's the green.

Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  19:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of my plugs tho have moulded plugs that dont let you take them off just has the funny fuse thing in the middle abit annoying :-(
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  19:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry shoul have said in previous post i just make a extra 70mm vent , plug fits throught easy then i clip the side of the vent and without breaking itslot the wire in
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  14:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's pretty dangerous to advise people who have never dealt with electrical wiring to rewire a plug imo. There are plenty of tutorials but we can't be assisting people in winning Darwin awards now, can we?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards

Go to Top of Page

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  15:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone should know how to rewire a plug! I was thought it at school. And my 8 year old knows what how to do it, I always check before the back goes back on.

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000