New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OloBurrows
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  12:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI, new to the forum and new to snakes. Just got myself an amber blood read and have a couple of things I could use some advice with.

1) feeding: I was planning while he's on pinkies to feed him one mid week and then two at the weekend. Does this sound ok or would it be too much?

2) heat: The set up I have is a plastic tank with a grilled lid. A heatpad set to 30 degrees on the outside as the man in the shop told me. My concern is that the air temperature is nowhere near 30. At the moment its 17. My concern is that he isn't getting the heat he needs. He seems to have decided to be one that hides alot while he settles in and he burrows into the woodchip under the hide at the warm end. Is this just because he's nervous or because the heat isn't right?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  13:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he's a hatchling one pinkie every 5/7 days is all he needs. Don't be concerned with the air tempreature it's the mat and substrate on the mat that you go by, aim for around 28 as 30 is the absolute max.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  13:17:31  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
feed as mentioned every 5-6 days

regards heating its not the mat temp u need to set its the floor temp inside the faun. the bottom of the faun inside above heat mat needs to be 27-29 so u might find the temp of the mat has to be higher to achieve this

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  13:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya :)

Have a read through this thread, it's an excellent 'how to setup'! http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  17:22:07  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do you have a digital thermometer to check the temperatures? I'm assuming you have a thermostat since you mentioned setting the mat to 30 so at least the shop was good enough to recommend one.

And it is normal for a snake to hide away alot of the time so don't worry. You will probably find that he is coming out when it is dark.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

OloBurrows
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  16:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for advice. I do have a thermostat but the probe is on the mat outside the faun (as I was instructed to do so). Do i need to get a temp reading from inside aswell?
Go to Top of Page

darrkang3l
Hatchling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  16:57:07  Show Profile  Visit darrkang3l's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome! :)

0.0.1 Corn Snakes (myst)
0.1.0 Leopard gecko (Meg)
0.1.0 Girlfriend. (Mel)
0.1.0 Staffy (molly)
1.1.0 Royal pythons
Wish list - Chinese water dragon, Tegu! Rainbow boa!

R.I.P Shayde
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  17:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OloBurrows

Thanks for advice. I do have a thermostat but the probe is on the mat outside the faun (as I was instructed to do so). Do i need to get a temp reading from inside aswell?

Take your temp reading from inside the faun, the probe is in the correct place positioned on the mat outside, adjust the stat so your warm end is around 28 degrees.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000