Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  19:25:37  Show Profile
if you have a number of snakes makin the rep shop option expensive, some pet sitter don't charge per animal. i do pet sitting for s****horpe pet sitters and we don't charge per animal its per visit. It also means that they can stay at home in thier own environment.

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  20:52:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

I've left mine for a week, never two weeks but if they aren't going to be fed so they can't poop then it's fine I think, never occurred to me not to feed them to avoid the chances of poop in bowls I'll have to remember that one! I just normally top the water bowls up high. Snakes can drink a lot worse than 2 week old water, they are pretty hardy animals and I actually find my snake prefer old water rather than new fresh water.

In regrading to stats, I don't see how going away on holiday is any worse than leaving the house for school/work? If it's going to fail then it will be bad no matter the amount your out the house. The only thing you can see if probes have been moves about but if your probes are glues or out of reach of the snake then.

£15 is fine for 1 pet snake but I myself cannot afford to really board 5 of them, I would even doubt the petshop would have enough room for 5 snakes that they can't flog and then what if they come back with mites or another illness after being their I can't imagine it being sensible for people's who collections are the size of what is in a petshop being able to board them.

Agree with all you say especially regarding snakes drinking older water and being returned with god knows what. I just think it is rather silly when a member asks for advice and is given such conflicting views. I only offer advice on what I actually do and not what I have heard or read, I would never offer a view if I did not have first hand knowledge. I do not wish to get into an argument with anybody but stand by my post, it is simply ridiculous to suggest algae and bacteria will make snakes ill in a week or two.

georginasweeting, I didn't think you were preaching, it certainly is nothing to do with the costs involved I simply think there is no need to stress them as in my opinion the risks for want of a better word are virtually nonexistent.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  22:35:08  Show Profile
Yeah, it is down to personal choice at the end of the day.
For me, I never leave any of my pets unattended for longer than a day if I can help it. But I'm lucky as the neighbour is always happy to pop in and check on the smaller critters, and the cats and dog are either boarded or pop over to nans for the time. I suppose it's only natural to me then that I wouldn't want to really leave my snakes alone, even thought they probably don't care haha

Not to mention my Amel is dangerously curious, knowing my luck she'd figure out how to open the faun shes in or something xD

Edited by - Spreebok on 26/01/2012 22:35:55
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  00:36:18  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage
I also do not wish to argue,

however, I have given my opinion jsut as you have, and I will not apologise if it's "conflicting".

A member asked for advice, you gave an opinion and so have I. Your opinion is to leave them, mine is not. Does that mean it is wrong for others to give an opinion that conflicts with yours? it is a forum, so conflicting opinions will occur, and down to the member to decide whos advise to take.

And tell you what, why dont you get a bowl of water, leave it in with your corns for 2 weeks without changing it, then have it analysed! Guarantee there is bacteria with pathogens, which causes illnesses! Simply because although chlorine keeps bacteria from multiplying in the pipeline, it does not stop it from leaving the tap and resting in a dish or cup. Not to mention airbourne bacteria can adapt and sits on the water, known as surface bacteria.

Please do not try and tell me I am ridicolous, when I'm speaking facts in relation to the POSSIBILITY of bacteria growing in two weeks.

Bye the way NOT ONCE did I state DEFINITELY, I said it could grow and could cause illness.

And I believe several other users have "conflicted advice" simply because they also stated they would advise boarding or someone to keep a check on them!

quote:
Originally posted by Okeetee Mick

quote:

I've left mine for a week, never two weeks but if they aren't going to be fed so they can't poop then it's fine I think, never occurred to me not to feed them to avoid the chances of poop in bowls I'll have to remember that one! I just normally top the water bowls up high. Snakes can drink a lot worse than 2 week old water, they are pretty hardy animals and I actually find my snake prefer old water rather than new fresh water.

In regrading to stats, I don't see how going away on holiday is any worse than leaving the house for school/work? If it's going to fail then it will be bad no matter the amount your out the house. The only thing you can see if probes have been moves about but if your probes are glues or out of reach of the snake then.

£15 is fine for 1 pet snake but I myself cannot afford to really board 5 of them, I would even doubt the petshop would have enough room for 5 snakes that they can't flog and then what if they come back with mites or another illness after being their I can't imagine it being sensible for people's who collections are the size of what is in a petshop being able to board them.

Agree with all you say especially regarding snakes drinking older water and being returned with god knows what. I just think it is rather silly when a member asks for advice and is given such conflicting views. I only offer advice on what I actually do and not what I have heard or read, I would never offer a view if I did not have first hand knowledge. I do not wish to get into an argument with anybody but stand by my post, it is simply ridiculous to suggest algae and bacteria will make snakes ill in a week or two.

georginasweeting, I didn't think you were preaching, it certainly is nothing to do with the costs involved I simply think there is no need to stress them as in my opinion the risks for want of a better word are virtually nonexistent.

Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  09:57:43  Show Profile
I agree, it's personal choice and what suits one person won't suit another. Personally I wouldn't leave mine for more than a week on their own, I left one of them last year for 6 days, and worried the whole time (he was fine). Do check out the reptile shops, our local shop charges £1 a day per snake, so not bad if just the one (I pay a petsitter £10 a day for the chickens!). Or maybe an advert on here, someone may be close to you and willing to look after them? Failing that I'd ask a friend, neighbour, relative to come in a couple of times a week to check and water change Hope you get something sorted out, it can be a worry.

Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  11:12:52  Show Profile

This might help.Zoo Med Repti-Rock Reservoir RR-10
A deluxe reptile water dish with a 22 ounce water reserve. The large reserve provides constant fresh water, while the small basin discourages reptiles from fouling their water. Includes an "insect guard" which prevents insects and small lizards from entering the reservoir and getting stuck. Extra wide base prevents accidental tipping and spilling.
MPN 0097612910100

Online Price: £3.41 including VAT 20% ( £0.57 )
Quantity
Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  11:14:42  Show Profile
Found it online just typed in repti reservoir and it came up. Dont know if it would work but its a possibility. and they are cheap so could have two incase one gets pooed in.
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  12:03:21  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by georginasweeting

surley you would rather not to risk the health of your snakes and for the sake of say £15 put them into a rep shop for the length of the holiday regardless of the reasons and just for piece of mind.

even boarding a rep doesnt mean safely, theres been several posts about poeple boarding snakes at rep shops for the snakes to go missing or come back ill with mites etc

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  13:02:18  Show Profile
I understand that something could happen putting them in boarding, but surley its better that negecting them for 2 weeks? And starvig them for 2 weeks before, where they could have their nrmal routine, especially if someone could pop in every 2-3 days to check on them. The water resivoir seems like a better idea but would the water still not go stagnant? And if you have a little while til you go you could go and check em out. I'm in the essex area and I also know someone in the manchester area that wod be willing to board them :)

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  15:22:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address
quote:

I understand that something could happen putting them in boarding, but surley its better that negecting them for 2 weeks? And starvig them for 2 weeks before, where they could have their nrmal routine, especially if someone could pop in every 2-3 days to check on them. The water resivoir seems like a better idea but would the water still not go stagnant? And if you have a little while til you go you could go and check em out. I'm in the essex area and I also know someone in the manchester area that wod be willing to board them :)

I think there was a boarding story where someone boarded their rep at a petshop oly to return and find out that someone sold it... Personally, I would feel much better leaving my snakes alone for 2 weeks at home than ever giving them to a rep shop to look after. And a month without food is hardly starving.

Guess we better get rid of every single bottled water they sell at shops as that can be on the shelf for months... the chlorine goes away after a few days, I except that is why my snakes like older water to fresh water more. Seriously though, old water that has been sitting about for a month is still better than what they would sometimes drink from naturally or what lost snakes would do, they are hard animals. Dogs and cats will drink from puddles that could contain god knows what and don't get ill because that is what they are meant to do. It is only really a human thing to get ill from old water.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  15:48:36  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage
Well interestingly there has been a study on tap water and bottle water, and water coolers, click the link and then when google search loads up click on the fourth link : "Analysis of the Virulence Characteristics of Bacteria Isolated...."

it will pop up with a file to download, that is the PDF of the report and study!

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=3%2F4 cities water virulent bacteria study&pbx=1&oq=3%2F4 cities water virulent bacteria study&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=10306l12825l4l12993l12l12l0l0l0l4l163l1412l4.8l12l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=72d0af0e9441ccde&biw=1600&bih=750

Perhaps read that

And you are comparing a captive bred snake to a wild snake

Captive bred snakes do NOT have the same immune system of a wild snake, in fact a captive bred snake immune system is weaker than that of a wild snake so unfortunately you cannot compare what snakes would drink in the wild to what a captive bred pet snake would do in a controlled environment!

And humans with weaker immune systems do in fact get ill from tap water and/or bottled water as well as others things if not prepared in a certain way!

I am done justifying my point of view.

I gave an opinion with reasons

Others gave opinion with reasons, but others are critising me yet again

It is down to personal choice, my personal choice in order is the following

1. Find someone I trust who knows about reptiles and reptile experienceto check
2. Find someone I trust who may not have reptile experience but once shown knows what to do
3. Consider boarding - this be done on reviews and personal testomonials
4. If all three are not feasible I won't go on holiday for the sake of POTENTIALLY, NOT definitely something going wrong with no about to help or sort it!

If you want to continue debating bacteria with water, I suggest opening a seperate thread for it!

quote:

quote:

I think there was a boarding story where someone boarded their rep at a petshop oly to return and find out that someone sold it... Personally, I would feel much better leaving my snakes alone for 2 weeks at home than ever giving them to a rep shop to look after. And a month without food is hardly starving.

Guess we better get rid of every single bottled water they sell at shops as that can be on the shelf for months... the chlorine goes away after a few days, I except that is why my snakes like older water to fresh water more. Seriously though, old water that has been sitting about for a month is still better than what they would sometimes drink from naturally or what lost snakes would do, they are hard animals. Dogs and cats will drink from puddles that could contain god knows what and don't get ill because that is what they are meant to do. It is only really a human thing to get ill from old water.

Go to Top of Page

WannaCornSnakeTeen
Hatchling

United Kingdom
163 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  16:13:05  Show Profile
I recommend petpals they are really good and they do home visits as well so they take a bit of care of your house water plants, get post. put bin out etc

Don't like it, shut up!

Corn Snake Power Point- https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=1f2dd1061fc5c411&resid=1F2DD1061FC5C411!124&parid=1F2DD1061FC5C411!117&authkey=!AFpK0dBmsJ_1da4

Help please http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21981
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  16:23:56  Show Profile
Bottle water is sterilised and sealed shut, once opened its say comsume within 3 days.all I was doing was giving my opinion, I even offer to help if I could, and an argument has started about bottled water and reptile shops selling some ones snake. And I only asked the question, would it still not go stagnant? Not it will defiantly 100 percent go stagnant no matter what. And I know that leaving them a month is not starving them, I was just saying that all that could be avoided with one person going in 3 - 4 time whilst away.

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  17:59:03  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage
I replied yes water could go stagnant and could cause illness

but other members strongly think I am conflicting and giving wrong information

when in fact I am giving possibilites

genuinely sorry if your question wasn't answered because of someone starting a debate with me about bacteria growht in unattended unchanged water

EDIT: signature added

Edited by - CentricMalteser85 on 27/01/2012 17:59:25
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  18:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser85

Sorry but I have to agree with lotabob and say that Eeji and Okeetee you're wrong in just leaving it

I think the reason people are getting on your case is that rather than giving your opinion (which was based on coulds, not your own actual experiences!), is that you told Okeetee Mick and Eeji that they are flat out wrong.

I find this rude, and quite hypocritical. The fact that you defend your opinion no matter what people say is quite arrogant and dosen't help people who are looking for advice. We can form our own opinions from what others are posting.

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  18:40:01  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address
Yeah, I know my facts about water thanks, I don't need a link to a pdf, I get enough lectures from my mum who deals with water, sewage and water treatments and the facts and advice she has to give people who have had their water cut off for days and tells them to store masses of water before any work begins as the work could last for days. Most bottle water comes out of a tap though, it doesn't matter if its been sterilized and shut, it will still go funny as there is air plus all the other metals it comes into contact with, so long as theres air it eventually goes off in it's own way. Yes water could grow bacteria, I'm not doubting that but it would need serious level and the snake would have to be so ill in the first place anyway :/ I'm not doubting the ifs, I'm just thinking your being a bit over dramatic about it and making a big fuss, so now I am just quote you just because your making a drama llama out of yourself. Others also gave their views and you cristised them if you do remember? And it was you who started the debate about bacteria in water as you brought it up so don't say someone lol.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 27/01/2012 18:42:51
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  19:21:24  Show Profile
I think this thread has run its course, thanks Sta~ple and Dancross0 for your input it's appreciated. Drama llama, just love it

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  19:24:33  Show Profile
pretty sure there is enough info on here now to make an informed decision.

Thread locked

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000