Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  20:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Boba Fett

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

Helsbels
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  21:48:59  Show Profile  Click to see Helsbels's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As I said, I bought him because I was worried about him, because of all the bad things I had read (especially on this forum) about feeding on substrate. I do appreciate all of your opinions, but honestly, the whole experience wasn't pleasant. I wish there were some better shops in the area, as I do want to vote with my feet. Does anyone know of any good independent rep shops in the local Brighton/ East Sussex area, (I do not know if you are allowed to mention them on the forum but if you do know please let me know and I'll give you my hotmail address). The only other shop I've found that stocks reptile supplies around here is Pets At Home. It would be really nice to have a local shop that I can visit like the shop Spreebok mentioned. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  23:50:22  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
be assured, I was there when the rspca officer came in,

they did take only the python, and put measures in for the corns as the corns were in much better condition than the python

the python was took there and then, no police required, as RSPCA has right to take animals, it is only when the keepers refuse that police will get involved or if they need to search premises or enter premises otherwise locked up and force entry needed.

this pet store kept to their conditions, and they were signed off, but they did not want to return the python, no court case and no fines were ever imposed in this situation

i suppose it depends on which part of the country as to how they operate, because similarly one county police force can give parking tickets whereas another police force in another county can not. its a hit and miss game by the sound of it

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser85

I'm speaking from personal experience of dealing with a pet store where there was an ill python, and where hatchlings being fed half a pinky

2 days later they had visit, measures put in place, python took away

python never been returned to them, and they had monthly check ups on steps put in place,

since new steps, pet shop got new set up etc and everything is perfect (apart from some of the staffs knowledge)

Local council will revoke licencing based on info and investigation by RSPCA

quote:

quote:

RSPCA would only get involved if a complaint was made.

All complaints they normally send out an officer, as a surprise visit who will look through.

No, it takes billions of complaints, and even then they may not look. They don't care unelss its going to get media attention and they can sue. Indivuals care but they can't act out the guide lines. It's the local council you talk to if you have problems, who will the look round and decide if futhuur action needs to be taken.

You may want to wedge something ionbetween the viv doors so snakie doens't escape the viv.

I was speaking from experience, they don't give a ****e and the council is the best option. They wouldn't just tale a python away if that was the case, they would have taken more animals or closed the shop down and seized the animals pending further investigation if the RSPCA were involved as they have to work with the police and the law.

Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  08:07:06  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

be assured, I was there when the rspca officer came in,

they did take only the python, and put measures in for the corns as the corns were in much better condition than the python

the python was took there and then, no police required, as RSPCA has right to take animals, it is only when the keepers refuse that police will get involved or if they need to search premises or enter premises otherwise locked up and force entry needed.

this pet store kept to their conditions, and they were signed off, but they did not want to return the python, no court case and no fines were ever imposed in this situation

i suppose it depends on which part of the country as to how they operate, because similarly one county police force can give parking tickets whereas another police force in another county can not. its a hit and miss game by the sound of it

quote:

quote:

I'm speaking from personal experience of dealing with a pet store where there was an ill python, and where hatchlings being fed half a pinky

2 days later they had visit, measures put in place, python took away

python never been returned to them, and they had monthly check ups on steps put in place,

since new steps, pet shop got new set up etc and everything is perfect (apart from some of the staffs knowledge)

Local council will revoke licencing based on info and investigation by RSPCA

quote:

quote:

RSPCA would only get involved if a complaint was made.

All complaints they normally send out an officer, as a surprise visit who will look through.

No, it takes billions of complaints, and even then they may not look. They don't care unelss its going to get media attention and they can sue. Indivuals care but they can't act out the guide lines. It's the local council you talk to if you have problems, who will the look round and decide if futhuur action needs to be taken.

You may want to wedge something ionbetween the viv doors so snakie doens't escape the viv.

I was speaking from experience, they don't give a ****e and the council is the best option. They wouldn't just tale a python away if that was the case, they would have taken more animals or closed the shop down and seized the animals pending further investigation if the RSPCA were involved as they have to work with the police and the law.

The way it works is if the RSPCA gets enough calls/reports they will inform the environmental health officer at the local council (or if the local council recieves a number of reports).

The environmental health officer deals with pet shop licencing (conditions,etc). They in turn will orginise a unannouced visit to the petshop with a vet to assess the conditions, and may well seize animals with or without the RSPCA's help, depending on resources.

All in all, it depends on the conditions of individual animals. They may take one animal and give the owner/s a right testicaling and draw up plans to close the petshop until the proper conditions are met.

But as each case is individual, so it's hard to say what could happen in each case.

(BTW, one of my mates works as the environmental health officer at my local council, so I had a quick chat with him last night)

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Tallscientist
Egg

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  11:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helsbels

As I said, I bought him because I was worried about him, because of all the bad things I had read (especially on this forum) about feeding on substrate. I do appreciate all of your opinions, but honestly, the whole experience wasn't pleasant. I wish there were some better shops in the area, as I do want to vote with my feet. Does anyone know of any good independent rep shops in the local Brighton/ East Sussex area, (I do not know if you are allowed to mention them on the forum but if you do know please let me know and I'll give you my hotmail address). The only other shop I've found that stocks reptile supplies around here is Pets At Home. It would be really nice to have a local shop that I can visit like the shop Spreebok mentioned. Thanks

I believe the (possibly the only) RSPCA reptile rescue centre is just north of Brighton, check their website http://www.rspcareptilerescue.co.uk/

1.0.0 Rootbeer snake - Domino
0.0.40 Hoya plants
Go to Top of Page

Helsbels
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  14:02:20  Show Profile  Click to see Helsbels's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your help. I called the RSPCA reptile centre today just to find out a bit more about what they do. It was really interesting to speak to them, they have not just rescued snakes of all ages but will also provide viviariums with full kit that are suitable for the size of the snake, and at excellent prices. We don't have room at the moment, but when we move next year i would definitely like think about rehoming a rescue snake. Thanks again for the tip.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  18:39:50  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The reptile rescue does look like a great place their, so sad to see that lovely cali king still there, think he's been there for over a year now :(

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000