New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2012 :  23:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I took some new pics of the boa clan now we are pretty much mite free (still have taken precautions) however but it was great gettin to interact with them again!

First up my big baby Lex , shes a soppy mare , wanted some pics to see if shes growing length wise and not just girth but it seems shes still pretty much just over four foot .

Next is Rudi , ive been told shes a big un for her age, a little fatty so im dropping her feeding back and shes currently getting more excersize in the form of the clothes horse we have and it seemed to work as she made her way from bottom to top a few times . She also explored out spiral stair case but this was a nitemare as she didnt want me to get her off again!

And last but no means least Braxton , whos the only boy and is as sweet as anything .

Thanks for lookin :)

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2012 :  23:15:02  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
they are stunning what are the prices like for these. i really like the two on the cloths horse

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

Elicia
Hatchling

222 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2012 :  23:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah Rudi is gorgeous! Love those colours

Normal Corn-Percy
Speckled King-Bumblebee
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  02:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic pics, but Rudi is my fave!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  12:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont worry about baby boas getting a bit chunky, they are one of the few snakes that convert fat to muscle doing nothing anyway, plus, as they grow, they grow outwards, then put on length quite quickly, and slim down again. you would have to massively over feed to actually get a baby boa to be 'overweight'. Exercise isnt needed, for the exact reason above, they convert fat to muscle, not the other way around, so in actualy fact, the more they put on fat wise in the younger years, the more muscle they build anyway. I had a baby a few years ago, within a year she was on large rats, within 2 years she was well over 5 ft, and not a hint of fat on her.

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  15:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Braxton?? Do you watch home and away?? :P

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  18:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the comments , price wise they cost a fair bit , but i expect the price will drop next season .
Mike thanks for the advice i put a thread up on the darkside and got the whole "shes fat and too big for her age " and they also said because i was feeding her a rat fluff once a week , that was why she wasnt poo'ing and it was blocking her up . have u got any advice on that or opinions ?

Katie , ive been busted , he is named after the very gorgeous river boy braxton haha!! i didnt think anyone would clock that one!

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  19:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laws

thanks for the comments , price wise they cost a fair bit , but i expect the price will drop next season .
Mike thanks for the advice i put a thread up on the darkside and got the whole "shes fat and too big for her age " and they also said because i was feeding her a rat fluff once a week , that was why she wasnt poo'ing and it was blocking her up . have u got any advice on that or opinions ?

They are talking out their ****, how long has she not passed for? a warm bath is usually a good one for a good clear out, they dont digest as fast as corns for the most part, so they dont poo as often, normally, around every 7 - 10 days they drop a monster.
If its been more than 2 weeks and shes fed without problem, i would go for a warm bath, see if that helps, use about 6 inches of warm water so that she can float without touching the bottom, dont worry about her drowning, it will not happen.
tbh at her size, either of them really, they would be on small rats now for me, but then i started my babies off on large mice (once feeding properly).
They go through stages, they fatten up, then grown in length and slim down again. The motley though is a dwarf, so you dont want to force shed loads of food down her/him, just take it easy with him/her.
The others though, they will pack food away as long as you put it infront of them.
Keep an eye on anything with albino in it, the first 18 months or so is touchy, i lost an albino at 14 months for no apparent reason.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  21:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's really interesting I hadn't heard that albinos were more delicate . I kno that when breeding the gene is a fairly weak gene etc and shouldn't be put to another albino . Well she will be one the end of may and shes a fair size , long and chunky , however the reply to my darkside made me feel like i was power feeding and so I then werent sure the best feeding schedule to put them on .
She came to us on the 16th December and hadn't done a poo , I put it down to new home and being switched from mice to rats . But then noticed obv that it had been a month or so with nothing so I started that thread . I popped her into a big 80 litre rub , and she hated it but passed about three urates and a smaller poo however not as big as I wud have expected after having had one mouse and four rats with us . However I thought they wud just go when they need to go . Lexi my biggest sometimes takes two months and then drops something that resembles that of a great dane !
But on that thread I was told that I just stop feeding Rudi immediately , soak her and give her a lot of excercise and feed after she passes something , prolapse was even mentioned .
Search Laura_m on there n u will see , advice came from a big breeder so I've been worried.
But I always assumed snakes go when they want to and from all the advice re feeding that rat fluff once a week is ok as its same in size as an adult mouse just with abit more in terms of nutrients . Should I drop back to ten to twelve days ?
The motley gets a rat pup every seven days , but I just brought medium mice now so I don't push him . And lex gets a small / medium rat every ten days . That sound about right ?
Rudis mom was 9ft and dad large too so I'm expecting a bigger snake , and I don't want to power feed any of them just grow them on at a natural weight

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  22:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If its been that long, then it is worth holding off on the food for now, warm bath will get it going again, if not then plenty of fluids.
Size wise, the parents are about normal, so probably looking at about 6-7ft i would guess.
genetically, albino isnt a weak gene at all, its everything else that has been reinforced by the continual line breeding to get it right, hence why albino to albino is bad, even albino to het carries risks. Is it Kahl or Sharp?

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  12:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beatiful snakes. I love Braxton,his markings are gorgeous. Lovely looking boy.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  20:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shes a kahl strain sunglow , i think she came from two hets . will keep an eye out and wait till shes poo'd properly . thats what i mean when people said the rat fluffs once a week were blocking her up .

thanks hun , brax is pretty, so hard to get his pink colours without good light

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  20:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, partial thread jack in progress but my Hogg Island Boa is like clockwork once a month, she is 3 foot and on a jumbo mouse every 7 days. I thought this normal for her but as I consider you one of the knowledgeable ones should I be concerned. You can tell when she is due a poop but doesn't really appear bloated or anything.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  23:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Mike, partial thread jack in progress but my Hogg Island Boa is like clockwork once a month, she is 3 foot and on a jumbo mouse every 7 days. I thought this normal for her but as I consider you one of the knowledgeable ones should I be concerned. You can tell when she is due a poop but doesn't really appear bloated or anything.

Concerned about what?? Pooing once a month?? its fine, as long as what goes in comes out, you havent anything to worry about. If was you though, i would switch to rats sooner rather than later, its easier to convert younger snakes than adults. I cant tell when my boas are due, they look normal then theres another snake in with them almost!

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  01:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to just check, I thought it was OK but would hate to have not asked and missed a problem. I have fed this girl rats, mice and even the odd chick, she will eat anything. Yeah I don't know how to describe it but if you handle her you can feel in her movements that something is on its way but doesn't show visible signs of been bloated or anything. Thanks for the reassurance she is my pride and joy, very protective over her and my others too I suppose.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  03:02:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nah thats fine, i always feel like a bubble move inside them, its strange on a 7ft female!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000