Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Could some one estimate the age of Sammy please?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LucyCherish
Egg

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  22:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i understand that this could be hard to do but i have just spoken to some one who is great with snakes and knows an awful lot about them and been told that they think Sammy was 'born' early last year, making her around one year old, not the 3-4months old i was originally told by the seller and it could be possible, i think she is quite lonf, over 1ft and a half, also she wasnt properly cared for by previous owner, no heat mats, which could effect her feeding and obviously digestion in turn effecting her growth, sorry to drag it out just concerned for my snake, would a reptile vet be able to get a good idea of her age and assess her condition also? Is it still a standard check-up fee of about £30? hope i havent confused people too much, but im thinking it could just be a case of keep taking care of her and feeding her and see how quickly she grows as iv fed her twice and the first time it took her 20+mins and today was gone in 5mins! anyway im gunna shut up an post pics!

i know they arent the best pictures to assess her size and stuff but will try and get better ones soon as not long fed her x

Sammy The Snake!!<3
[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

0.1.0-Amel Motley Corn Snake (Sammy)

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  23:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't really age a snake by its size,they all grow at their own rate. I have 4 snakes hatched about 2 months apart in 2010 and also 3 2011 corns with about a month and a half between them. They all vary a lot.
A reptile vet wouldn't be able to tell you her age,they could only estimate. It costs £42 for a reptile consultation at my vets.
If she's feeding ok for you then I wouldn't worry. She looks nice and healthy on these pics,and a similar size to my young ones hatched in June/July 2011.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Edited by - Mort13 on 19/01/2012 23:08:29
Go to Top of Page

LucyCherish
Egg

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  23:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! was getting a bit worried about her, having lack of nutrition and heat previously but she has settled in beautifully and she is so calm and relaxed with me too, i have just been 'told off' by my boyfriend for worrying too much over slight things like i do with my daughter haha! im going to give her two pinkys the next time i feed her which will be in 5 days time, Thank you again for your advice xx

Sammy The Snake!!<3

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  07:30:21  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
At a guess 5/6 months. But as Mort says its different for each snake. Also some let shops feed them less often do they stay small etc (do I read).

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  16:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She looks a similar size to Falco (5/6 months). She looks great, and if she's feeding well try not to worry and just enjoy having her

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  20:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - you do know not to handle her for at least 2 days after feeding, don't you? (Sorry, you probably do, just thought I'd mention it!)

Go to Top of Page

Redshift Spec
Hatchling

379 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  23:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She looks the same size as Frank which is 6 months like others have said, but if she was malnourished she might be older (if my logic works)

Frank (Amel Corn 1.0)
Felicity (Flick) (Normal Het Albino BCI 0.1)
Jack (Sunglow BCI 1.0)
Maisie (Hypo het Albino BCI 0.1)
Silver (Snow Corn 0.1)
Go to Top of Page

LucyCherish
Egg

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2012 :  21:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all x

Sammy The Snake!!<3

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  00:58:34  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would say about 6 months or so.

What you may find, (that isn't true for all but happened to me with both my corns) is that when you feed them yourself, they have a growth spurt.

This is simply because you giving the "correct" feed size - ie 2 pinkies every 5 days and I know quite a few sellers feed bare min of one pinky, and sometimes half a pinky every 7 days.

I would also try fuzzies if she is taking 2 pinkies each feed.

1 fuzzy every 5 days

and you may having a regular shedder, once every month or so.

as i said both my corns shed on a monthly basis as soon as they came into my care
Go to Top of Page

LucyCherish
Egg

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  15:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking that, will have to see how she goes on her next feed tomorrow as she went 'into blue' two days ago (i've renamed it into pink as shes gone a lovely pastel pinky red colour :-) how long does it normally take for the shedding process to complete, this is her first one with us x

Sammy The Snake!!<3

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000