New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  14:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not technically corn, I know, but 50% lol.

After much research, contacting breeders, reading forums and care sheets, I have decided to have a go at starting my own Sinacorn project this year- sinaloan milk snake x corn snake.

This isn't a spur of the moment decision or a fanciful whim. My aim is to produce Sinacorns with pewter colouration and diffusion. As guessed, mum will be my lovely pewter girl. Dad Rafiki is a nice bright example of a sinaloan. The end result, if achievable, will probably take a few generations to reach- breeding selected F2 siblings back to each other to hopefully produce the visual "pewter" aspect.

I've also chosen a hybrid that I not only find personally very attractive, but one that will be obviously NOT full corn or sinaloan. I do not want these hybrids to pollute pure corn breeding lines, as what commonly happens with Creamsicle "corns" which are also hybrids.

I understand that the breeding of hybrids is a contentious and highly debated subject. I have taken into consideration all pros and cons and feel confident that I will be responsible in my choosing of buyers. I will not sell hybrids to buyers who don't fully understand what they are buying. For Sale ads will also be perfectly clear as the nature of these snakes.

There are also risks involved with the breeding process. I have gone with a male milk and female corn, which can (rarely) throw up problems with the length of the breeding itself. Milks and kings frequently breed for longer periods than corns, which can result in the female getting bored and moving off before the male is finished his "business".

Milks can also eat other snakes, so the two must be supervised at all times when together.

Breeding itself can be tricky to get started, but I have researched all methods of achieving copulation successfully- will be interesting to see what works.

Anyway, I'll be updating this thread as stuff progresses. Feel free to add your own thoughts.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  22:36:52  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not much to add, except I can't wait to see the end result! :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  00:02:39  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ill second that will be a gd project to follow

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  11:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting,especially with the Pewter them going on. Good luck with it.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  13:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers guys. Most of my breeding lot are now either warmed or being warmed, and some have had their first feeds out of cooling.

My clever plan was to have Aurora and Rafiki on either side of my partitioned viv, so they could get used to each others scents, but unfortunately it got damaged during my move down here and the end on Rafikis side won't stay attached. Caught him pushing the whole thing apart last night so he's now back in a tub. Annoying!!

Aurora will hopefully shed after a few feeds, and the advice is to then put that fresh shed in with Rafiki. The pheromones will then (hopefully) get him in the mood for breeding Aurora, even though she is a different species.

This is Rafiki-

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  23:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And this is (hopefully) the hybrid mum to be- in shed atm so looking a little dull.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  18:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I tried introducing the 2 of them to each other last night- was like watching paint dry.

LOL.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  18:28:37  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the pair of them are very pretty :D

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  20:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol - so at least it was pretty paint! Better luck next time!

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  00:10:30  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry I disagree that this is a good thing, because it is another example of man messing with nature creating manmade breeds.

Yes I may not know alot about breeding, and yes I have a morph of a cornsnake - a butter corn, but at least it's corns with corns.

I think it is wrong trying to bred to different species of snakes together, especially since you stated "I've also chosen a hybrid not only find personally attractive..." meaning for self satisfaction.

and the comment below just suggests, guinea pig testing "to see what works"

"Breeding itself can be tricky to get started, but I have researched all methods of achieving copulation successfully- will be interesting to see what works."

We have debates on co-habiting etc, and this forum is about opinions and help and advice, and the above is my opinion.

It is man playing with nature yet again!
Go to Top of Page

Redshift Spec
Hatchling

379 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  15:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be interesting to see the result. 'Supervising' the breeding process.... Pervert! (but necessary due to the possibility of the corn being eaten!)

Frank (Amel Corn 1.0)
Felicity (Flick) (Normal Het Albino BCI 0.1)
Jack (Sunglow BCI 1.0)
Maisie (Hypo het Albino BCI 0.1)
Silver (Snow Corn 0.1)

Edited by - Redshift Spec on 29/01/2012 15:24:39
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  19:59:21  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another reason why I'm against it, risking life of one animal with another to see what comes out, and what methods work, completely wrong

quote:
Originally posted by Redshift Spec

'Supervising' the breeding process.... Pervert! (but necessary due to the possibility of the corn being eaten!)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  20:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser85

Another reason why I'm against it, risking life of one animal with another to see what comes out, and what methods work, completely wrong

quote:

'Supervising' the breeding process.... Pervert! (but necessary due to the possibility of the corn being eaten!)

We risk the lives of corns every time we breed them- the chance of cannabalism is very, very low, almost nill when you consider they will be supervised at all times. The risk of fatal eggbinding is far, far higher than the risk of death from being eaten- yet this is an acceptable risk, and often overlooked.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  20:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser85

Sorry I disagree that this is a good thing, because it is another example of man messing with nature creating manmade breeds.

Yes I may not know alot about breeding, and yes I have a morph of a cornsnake - a butter corn, but at least it's corns with corns. If I wanted to breed a creamsicle corn and an amel, would you think it wrong? What about an ultramel?

I think it is wrong trying to bred to different species of snakes together, especially since you stated "I've also chosen a hybrid not only find personally attractive..." meaning for self satisfaction. Everything we breed from snakes is for self satisfaction. We buy morphs we find attractive, for our own satisfaction. If you choose to breed your corns in the future, you will be risking their lives for your own satisfaction, will you not?

and the comment below just suggests, guinea pig testing "to see what works" Guinea pig testing? I refer to finding out which of the tried and tested methods works for me, a necessary part of ANYTHING to do with snakes. Feeding routines, handling, enclosure size, shedding problems, breeding- all, at some point, require a bit of messing with, trial and error to see what works best.

"Breeding itself can be tricky to get started, but I have researched all methods of achieving copulation successfully- will be interesting to see what works."

We have debates on co-habiting etc, and this forum is about opinions and help and advice, and the above is my opinion.

It is man playing with nature yet again! Which you have contributed to by purchasing a morph.

The above are my opinions.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

SamanthaDean
Egg

United Kingdom
71 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  04:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope this works! will be so pretty!
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  04:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck with this i hope it works for u and i for 1 wil be checking this thread a lot to see any new news should be stunning little things when it all lifts off ........i dont really see the prob ok this is a reptile but have we not done this with other pets like dog i mean we would not have some of them breed if it was not for cros breeding dif breeds and so on like i said good luck caant wait to see the results :)

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  08:10:54  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All I can do is giggle at the fact now that corns are quick XD

Good luck! Can't wait to see the results although it probably will takes years but I'm sue no matter what happens that all the babies will look lovely!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  17:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Luck! Can't wait to see the results if this breeding goes well.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  17:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well nothing visible observed so far- the sinaloan is very very shy and skitty, and freaked out whenever I put him in the breeding box, so I have changed tactic slightly and now remove the divider in the viv for a few hours each night whilst I'm in my bedroom. It means that he has the added security of his own home/smells being there, as well as the hides if he chooses to use them.

Nothing much breeding wise has gone on, but the female has developed an INSANE feeding response since I started this- yesterday she had finished swallowing her second mouse before the rest of them were even halfway down their first- and she was fed last!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  10:01:09  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

It would be interesting to see the result. 'Supervising' the breeding process.... Pervert! (but necessary due to the possibility of the corn being eaten!)

Thats an uber cute pic :D

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  19:32:49  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
any news?

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000