Not rlly a reptile...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:49:37  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
But can someone who's big on photography please tell me their opinion on these i took today?

Taken with a Olympus D-720 btw

Thanks in advance

N nite x

Scaly

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert, but id be happy enough if id taken them

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  22:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what sort of camera is it?

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  23:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the last one!! Silhouettes are always pretty
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  23:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They aren't too bad at all! I must congratulate you on capturing a feeding Great Tit, as they can be fast little swines! I particularly like the one of the collard dove too. They're one of my fave garden birds. I'll give you a few photography basics on birds that were passed on to me, and are now the first steps I take to photographing general wildlife.

You have to be careful that the subject of the photograph is what the eye is drawn to most, and that you are close enough to get a clear shot without having to crop, as then you loose the required pixels to make the picture look sharp and clarified and not fuzzy. Garden birds are difficult, as their feathers are designed to blend/ match the colours of their surroundings; therefore it's important to cut out as much foliage/ sky etc as possible.

The Olympus D-720 is a compact, so I'm assuming that it may have the basic features, such as portrait/ landscape/ macro options etc. Have a fiddle with these. I use portrait photography mostly for birds. The best way I learnt was through youtube, as there are some great tutorials from where the buttons are and what they mean right through to the more complicated things. The best way to learn is to keep at it and soon you'll notice you pick up on different aspects quickly, like lighting, angles, positioning etc.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2012 :  09:27:04  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emmy1

They aren't too bad at all! I must congratulate you on capturing a feeding Great Tit, as they can be fast little swines! I particularly like the one of the collard dove too. They're one of my fave garden birds. I'll give you a few photography basics on birds that were passed on to me, and are now the first steps I take to photographing general wildlife.

You have to be careful that the subject of the photograph is what the eye is drawn to most, and that you are close enough to get a clear shot without having to crop, as then you loose the required pixels to make the picture look sharp and clarified and not fuzzy. Garden birds are difficult, as their feathers are designed to blend/ match the colours of their surroundings; therefore it's important to cut out as much foliage/ sky etc as possible.

The Olympus D-720 is a compact, so I'm assuming that it may have the basic features, such as portrait/ landscape/ macro options etc. Have a fiddle with these. I use portrait photography mostly for birds. The best way I learnt was through youtube, as there are some great tutorials from where the buttons are and what they mean right through to the more complicated things. The best way to learn is to keep at it and soon you'll notice you pick up on different aspects quickly, like lighting, angles, positioning etc.

Thanks Emmy :)

Yeh gr8 tits are little speed demons lol :P

Thanks for all your comments, I love the sillhoutte of the wood pigeon too :)

Scaly x

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2012 :  09:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're lovely:) Emmy has a point there in saying make sure the subject of the photo is what the eye immediately sees. The first pic would have been composed better had you turned the camera upright and taken it as a portrait shot, you'd have caught the water splash better that way. You probably could have gone a bit closer too and cut out some of the greenery. If you're into retouching at all you could up the contrast a teeny bit so the colours are more vibrant. I like them though. Specially the last one. Gotta love a silhouette shot!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2012 :  10:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
when editing, fiddle around with the brightness/contrast tools as well. xxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2012 :  11:43:22  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
okies :) i'm new at this so these tips are rlly helpful xx
this is a pub garden where we constantly keep the food and water topped up :)

I remember now why i didnt turn the camera for the blackbird... it was fixed on my tripod lol :P

Scaly x

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2012 :  19:21:22  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Very nice, I know how difficult it is to take a photo with some cameras and not so great lighting conditions, think I have a very similar camera to you :) I found the best way I could take photos was this the ports setting of the camera on a bright sunny day.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  16:21:12  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks guys, had a great view of a long tailed tit earlier, unfortunately camera was at home :S

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: