Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  20:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might have regurged because he is stressed due to being kept with another snake. At that age, they are so vulnerable, and they know it. They keep to themselves because they feel safer that way. Being kept with another snake, he may feel his is being kept with something that could be a threat to him, and the stress caused the regurge.

Get a spare tub, poke some holes in it for air. Get a two way adaptor and plug it into your thermostat. Get another heat mat, plug both of them into the two way adaptor. You now have two statted heat mats. Use thermometers to keep an eye on the temps. Place one corn into the other tub and you'll find they'll both be much happier and perkier.

YOU may think they're happy because they're cuddling. They're most likely competing for space, competing for the best spots, added stress = more chance of regurge.
And before you say it, some people HAVE co-habited young ones successfully. But regurge tells me you have an unhappy orn, and it is your duty as the owner to sort this, first by doing the most obvious thing, and separating them.
Go to Top of Page

mattocks123
Egg

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  20:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The snake regurged before i got the second one

Owner Of 2 Corns
- Dizzie 1.0.0
- Nagini 0.1.0
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptileJungleUK?feature=mhee

MY YOUTUBE ACCOUNT
Check out for info on my corns, check them out.

If not alot of videos will be adding more, as time goes on, onlt had them 3 weeks (Jan 2012)
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  20:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, you had a stressed snake and added another?

Okay, I'm out.
Go to Top of Page

mattocks123
Egg

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  20:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol the reason i think it regurged as well is because i handled it a day after eating (i know i was meant to leave it 2 days buy some people said you can handle a day after)

Owner Of 2 Corns
- Dizzie 1.0.0
- Nagini 0.1.0

MY YOUTUBE ACCOUNT

If not alot of videos will be adding more, as time goes on, onlt had them 3 weeks (Jan 2012)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  20:47:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Total thread hijack here but I watched your youtube video and need to point this out for you.

The tank you have them in is a fish tank with a fish tank lid. Skipping quickly over the heating issues you know about those snakes are going to be feeling very very exposed, the bright light won't help this and it wont be long before they find something to climb and escape out of the tank as a fish tank lid isnt designed to keep snakes in (I saw the blutac wad in the corner, that wont be enough to keep it escape proof). There is no ventilation and the dial thermometer you are using may as well not be there as its only measuring the air temperature which is useless in a set up that's heated from the ground.

I know you probably think its ridiculous how much negative attention is coming your way right now, but the welfare of the animals have to come first over your feelings, the set up is all wrong, glass tanks can be used but need to be modified in order to accommodate a snake as airflow, heat and exposure are important things in the husbandry of your snakes.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

mattocks123
Egg

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  20:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so to keep this tank, do you thin ki should get another lid ? maybe some metal mesh.

- i have ordered a digital thermometer so the dial will be going out the window.
- i understand everything you are saying, i made the video so that i could be advised and you have advised and are helping me thank you :)

Owner Of 2 Corns
- Dizzie 1.0.0
- Nagini 0.1.0

MY YOUTUBE ACCOUNT

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would find the wooden vivariums or the reptile specific glass tanks far easier to heat etc but you will need to sort something out with the lid so it provides good ventilation but at the same time be escape proof. I've seen first hand a 6 month old corn snake escape out of a 6mm hole so whatever you choose to do needs to take into account that hatchlings can squeeze through very small gaps (much smaller than 6mm).

I would knock something together with a wooden frame (not pine its toxic to snakes) and very fine mesh and while doing that I'd put a divide down the centre of the tank splitting it into 2 areas and put the heat mat into the middle of the tank so the outer edges become the cool ends, that way you don't have to go to massive expense to split them up. The reason people say to split them as babies is there is a small risk of cannibalism but the main reason is snakes are not social animals, they only ever interact to mate in the wild. You will also need to cover the back and sides to close the tank in a bit, snakes like to hide and be unseen, in a glass tank they will feel very exposed, you can use something simple like newspaper or the aquarium backing paper just dont use anything like sticky back plastic inside, anything sticky is dangerous around snakes as if the sticky side becomes exposed and the snake gets stuck its either going to rip its skin off in an attempt at escape or die of stress while stuck there. Its difficult to get sticky stuff off them so no selotape etc in the tank with them either.

Another little trick is while they are small the exoterra hides are probably a bit big, chop a few toilet rolls in half length ways and put them in as hides they like cramped places to hide, it helps them feel more secure.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Edited by - lotabob on 15/01/2012 21:06:32
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think that maybe you would be better off getting two new(new to you) vivs with the correct set ups and you will find after they have settled in they will seem much happier, where abouts are you in the uk, you can normally pick up second hand vivs at a fair deal.

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

mattocks123
Egg

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im in uxbridge/denham so east london i have looked on amazon and they are doing a few good deals there

Owner Of 2 Corns
- Dizzie 1.0.0
- Nagini 0.1.0

MY YOUTUBE ACCOUNT

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try sites like freeads, preloved, gumtree can sometimes be missleading and ebay of course, most are pick up only but if you do as lotabob said and sperate the tank you have you can give yourself an extra week or so to find a good deal, one question, did you handle them sraight away after getting them or did you let them settle in for a few days? :)

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try preloved and gumtree. another good and cheap one is http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk I actually use these and pay £12 for shipping to Ireland and they still work out cheaper, you jammy people in England are laughing with their standard delivery costs.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

mattocks123
Egg

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the male i left for a couple of days (this i think stressed him a bit) he seems fine now. the female i got two days ago and i havnt hndled her. only to put her in the tank

Owner Of 2 Corns
- Dizzie 1.0.0
- Nagini 0.1.0

MY YOUTUBE ACCOUNT

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorting there tank out and them leaving the 4 or 5 days will settle them down a bit

Go to Top of Page

mattocks123
Egg

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What colour should i put around the sides?? and shall i cover up the back. by leaving them 4 or 5 days do you mean not feed them as well. I may have to leave them in the same viv for a couple of days (not split) until i pop to the shop or wait for it to arrive by post :)

Owner Of 2 Corns
- Dizzie 1.0.0
- Nagini 0.1.0

MY YOUTUBE ACCOUNT

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anything carboard around the outside, a cereal box paper anything, im just looking at http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk i might order some stuff thanks lotabob

Go to Top of Page

mattocks123
Egg

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if i covere this tank up and got alot better insulation do you think i can keep the tank ???
- i have ordered a thermostat and a small hide shall i put the hide on the other end of the tank??
Going back to the tank i read that you can use fish tanks ????

Owner Of 2 Corns
- Dizzie 1.0.0
- Nagini 0.1.0

MY YOUTUBE ACCOUNT

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can if they are secure, and yes put the hide at the other end, i have 4 in mine and plenty of fake plants.i wouldnt advise keeping the fish tank but im not an expert

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any colour they don't really care, newspaper will do but if you have a preference then do what you want to do (just not noodie lady pics, they wont be allowed to be posted on here). Just cover the back and sides, turn off the light in the lid and put in a few toilet roll tube hides and this will help them feel more secure.

You can't feed them without a heat source so wait until you have a thermostat until you feed them again but dont feed the one that regurged for at least 10 days after the regurge to allow the gut to recover. Because they are kept together you cant feed one and not the other due to the smell of mouse on the fed snake may prompt the not fed snake to have a go at eating the other snake so both will have to wait unless they are split that is.

Glad you like Surrey Pet Supplies, its very popular and their prices are brilliant.

EDIT TO ADD
You can use fish tanks,they aren't ideal though and aren't fit for purpose so need modifying.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Edited by - lotabob on 15/01/2012 21:50:21
Go to Top of Page

mattocks123
Egg

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  21:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOOOOOL i wasnt planing on naked ladies anyway lol

So shall i never turn the light on, i normally turn it on in the morning and off around 9-10 oclock at night :)

Owner Of 2 Corns
- Dizzie 1.0.0
- Nagini 0.1.0

MY YOUTUBE ACCOUNT

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  22:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah kill it, use it for viewing if you want but on all the time is a bit much, if light is coming through the window that's all they need. I used to light the vivarium through the day but have found that they all do better without it. I haven't even got round to installing the viewing LED's in the stack yet either.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000