Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 What made you decide to start keeping snakes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
757 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  15:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Falice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone just wondering what made eveyone decide to start keeping snakes, and how long have u been keeping them? Corn snakes in particular, and what other animals to you keep?

For me i've always wanted a snake but my mother isn't fond of them. So it wasn't until i moved out that i decided to research them. I fell in love with Trevor as soon as i saw him at one of my local pet stores, Little did I know that my boyfriend went back a few days later and bought him for me as a christmas present
oh and the only other animal I have is a c0ckatiel called Baldwin

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  15:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My youngest son, then 13, saved his pocket money for several months the asked if he cxould buy a snake. He presented with me with several care sheets that he had printed form the web and sprouted loads of info at me. I gave in and said he could buy one as long as he promised to be responsible for it. Well he was and still is and now I have 5 of my own as well as 2 lizards, a dog, 2 cats, 4 guinea pigs, 13 hens, 1 budgie, 9 fish, 100 Roach and 20 Giant African Land Snails. Don't think I've forgotten to mention anyone.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  15:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly my sons kitten had feline FIP which we did not know and died 2 days after getting neutered, he was heartbroken, he did want another kitten but was scared it would happen again, my OH's sister had just got a royal ball python, we went for a visit, he wanted a snake!, we did all the research for a newbie snake, waited a couple of months as thought he would change his mind, he looks after Kellogs brilliantly.
We also have 2 dogs, cat, ferret, crested gecko (All in sig)

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes

Edited by - scottishbluebird on 12/01/2012 15:44:48
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  16:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always been into reptiles and on my 7th birthday I got a corn! It was a very unexpected present but I love him/her to bits! I also have 3 cats and 4 rabbits.

Edited by - Vince_the_snake on 12/01/2012 16:40:17
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  17:37:52  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used to keep Leopard geckos, until I got fed up of the bloody crickets. They used to drive me mental.

So I researched about snakes that didn't need UV lights, and decided on corn snakes! I'm glad I did, because the genetics behind the morphs keeps me well interested...

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  18:06:43  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i decided on a snake as i cnt really have any other pets, no garden or anything and a hammie or gerbil would keep we awake even more than i already am

I bought my first snake home in the last week of august last yr :)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  19:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was my 7 year old he wanted a snake desperately, so he had our first one Clyde for his birthday, unfortunately litle Clyde died so we have Ernest. A corn snake was recommended as a first snake, and i have completely fallen for snakes now and want more !!!!!(although i wont get one that i would feed rats too, i had a pet rat called Lulu and she was soo lovely !! We also have Mrs T a leopard gecko that was being neglected. Our Jeffrey (a huge incredibly annoying but lovable ginger n white cat) is currently looking after Granny since her old cat died !

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  19:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
first year at uni. 2 young corns in the zoology labs. i fell in love, tried stealing one but got caught since then have liked them and an empty fish tank after death of very old plec and talking catfish i decided a change was in order and got me thinking bout snakes again... ended up with African clawed frogs in the tank... but got introduced to a corn breeder close to home and later got my wee snow. that was in October. I got my third on Sunday

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  20:06:39  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always wanted a snake right from a young age theres no way mum or dad would let me have one i ended up settling for hmasters gerbils and the like i did get some stick insects but some escaped and mum was finding them for years afterwards hehe
back some years ago my housemates had a king snake and a corn snake they were pretty cool and it sparked my interest again then a couple years ago i got a big fihtank which i planned to convert to a viv but something happened and i ended up with fish lol but ive given up most of the fish now and decided to ful fill my lifelong wish of snakes lol i got my fifth today :-)

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  20:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first love is horses. I'm allergic to fur, but I never seemed to have any reaction around horses. I started riding when I was 10 and helped out inbetween my lessons. Unfortunately it was a career/ obssession cut short, as I had a major allergic reaction to horse dander that put me in hospital for days, equal to a nut allergy reaction. I haven't been near a horse since I was 14, as my doctor simply doesn't know what will happen if I do. It knocked me very badly as I was left to decide where to go next with my life. I enjoyed pets, and I'd kept rabbits and rats etc in the past, and as much I loved having them I sneezed all the time/ had general poor health because of it.

At 16, my sister's brownies had the Wirral Herp Society at their summer fair and we all went along. I had a brilliant time and found out that anyone of any experience can join. I attended a meeting not long after and learnt all I needed to know and met some amazing and supportive people, who are now my friends. I bought my first Beardie a few months later. Finally, a pet I wasn't allergic too! 4 years on, I'm still at the society, and I assist the lectures/ shows they do in order to help raise awareness and money to care for rescue reptiles we take in and rehome. It may not be a career, as it's all run by volunteers, but it has deffinitely filled the depression that I had following the end of my equestrian life. I get to meet new people of all ages and see animals I never thought I would see before. Plus, having these pets is a pretty good conversation starter!

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

Thante
Hatchling

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  22:26:07  Show Profile  Visit Thante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd always wanted a snake, don't know what age i started wanting one but i was young. When i was old enough for pets i got given a hamster, which was nice but boring. I kept asking for a snake as i got older but my mum and dad wouldn't allow it, at the time i thought it was because they either didn't like snakes or where just being mean (enter lots of teenage arguments), but they did let me have a rabbit instead.

When i finished uni i decided that as soon as i was in a house that would allow pets i would get a snake, i already knew i wanted corns. After the 1st year of my MA i decided to reward myself for getting so far and the landlord of the house i was in let me have a pet, although it was under the condition that i kept it a secrete as i lived with a girl who was terrified of snakes. Once i got Cherry i found out that my mum and dad actually like snakes, or at least don't mind them and will handle them. The reason i hadn't been allowed one was because i was already different, at the time a goth :P and they didn't want me to stand out as being different anymore then i already was. Odd reasoning but apart from me my family is so normal its scary, they don't like change or anything different (my tattoo is self harm apparently and will stop me from getting a job and my dad cried when i got my ears pierced!) .
Thankfully they have decided that its not "just a phase" so the've stopped worrying and learn that snakes are actually brilliant pets, regardless of the social stigma.

0.1.0 Cherry - 09 Normal
1.0.0 Tequila - 09 Caramel Motley
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  13:11:11  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mum decided I should have one when I was 11 as when I was younger I would always hold the ones in zoos and shops. Also I had the choice ebtween corn and roysl, I chose corns as royals get an unsexy morbidly obese look when older ;) So now I have 4 corns and 1 soppy mexican black king, wish I got a king sooner! I also have 8 chickens, a mix of new warrens and ex battery, 3 cats and a massive pink ****atoo that I feel temped to have with a sunday roast when it doesn't behave!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Tallscientist
Egg

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  15:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always wanted a snake since I was a teenager, to the point where my parents took me to a person who had corns, but obviously something they said (maybe it was the keeping of dead mice in the freezer) put them off. So I got a wooden snake for Christmas instead (it still takes pride of place on my chest of drawers). I even drew a picture of me and all my friends in the future, and I had a snake wrapped round me! Any time I saw someone handling a snake I had to go talk to them and see if I could handle the snake myself. Last year I went to Longleat and got to handle an adult corn snake. The guy told me they were really easy to take care of as pets (he's the one of the TV, but I can't remember his name). So on the strength of that I did some research and quickly found this website. Well my obsession was renewed. I pleaded and begged my boyfriend to have one and he said no and no again until I gave up. Nevertheless he likes to stalk me on Facebook and I had joined quite a few reptile groups by then, and could see that I was really interested in snakes and looking after them. So he did back down. But only for one. For the time being! I love my corn and am hoping to have a couple of small geckos in the future. We will see. I've got this far, and my fiance (as he is now) actually touched the snake the other day so I'm really proud!

1.0.0 Rootbeer snake - Domino
0.0.40 Hoya plants
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  15:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm allergic to everything else :(

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  17:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got into snakes by accident really . well me and the other half went to a place called doolittles and its a massive pet store in the country . we got to watch the guy who worked there with fascination as he fed the snakes and lizards . At the time we kept guppies and bred and sold them , but we started to slow down with those and reduced the collection . After a awhile we found we had a huge 90litre fish tank empty and my other halfs dad suggested we should get a corn snake . Sarah just raised her eybrow and said "really ?" and i was online and researching away and got hooked . It didnt take too long after me spendin ages sprouting info at her before we went to a local rep store just for "a look" we both got to hold some corns and then went to a diff store to look what they had there . In the car we decided to go for it and picked out a crimson corn who we called Kyle . however we were badly guided in the beginning (i then found this wonderful site with such great people ) and settle kyle in . however things werent right with him , despite having a set up that was now thankfully perfect for him , he regurged every meal and then refused . We took him back to the shop and the woman held onto him and tried to get him feeding . However she offered a replacement for us and we brough home Kodi .

We then were totally hooked, and i soon fell in love with Boas too , the missus has been really supportive with the snakes however i was told to stop my addiction :( lol . Despite not owning corns now (we only had the room for the three big boas ) when we move house im planning on adding one back in the house .

I dont kno what it is about snakes that im so besotted with , we went to pick up an incubator for the cresties today and i got to look at two babie hoggies , one with the cutest attitude ever and another than was more chilled . would have brought one home in a heartbeat!
I love keeping reps and have learnt loads , and still have a ton to learn

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  18:15:02  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have bearded dragons and every time I went to get food I was interested in the snakes, but was petrified of them. One day I saw a notice saying they had hatchies. I decided to be very brave and asked if I could see and hold one. I was so lucky to hold Sidney who is the most laid back, chilled snake ever. Oh the awesome hand massage he gave when slowly gliding through my fingers.......that was it, I HAD to have him!! I now have a few more, well it's so easy to get addicted. Sidney has grown somewhat but he still manages amazing massages but now it's just about all over as well as my hands. My sig tells you all the other pets I have.....only a few

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  21:51:55  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We went to a place called White Post Farm a few years ago. They have a reptile house there and had handling sessions. My eldest son had a go handling one of the snakesand decided he wanted one. They had snakes for sale and all the equipment but I couldn't afford it all at the time. A couple of years later, my sister phoned and asked if Danny still wanted a snake. A work collegue of hers wanted a new home for her 18month old cornsnake which was coming complete with set-up so of course I said yes. So Alice came to live with us and after a few adjustments to the set-up (thermostat, digital thermometer, extra hide etc), we were smitten. Izzy followed 2 1/2 months later and the addiction kicked in.

I have also got a gorgeous 9yr old cat called Kizzy who I rescued at 12 weeks. And I have got a chocolate labrador puppy called Tyler who I foster on behalf of a Charity called Support Dogs who train assistance dogs for disabled people, people with epilepsy and children with autism. Tyler is my 9th foster for them. I love it.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

c00ki3z
Hatchling

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  22:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always been interested in reptiles and snakes, I've always wanted one but never had the money when I was little. When I moved in with my boyfriend, I wanted one again so I told my partner but he was against the idea. I had £100 from my mum for one and we ended up getting a cat (and how much he regrets that! haha) anyways, months later my partner starts going through to Arbroath for some job centre stuff and notices there's a reptile shop there, he starts getting intersted in tarantulas so he eventually gets two, then I was finally allowed my first corn (Normal). Then for xmas 2011 I got my second corn (Fire) and plan on growing my collection :)

1.0 Fire Corn Snake (Solaire)
1.0 Carolina Corn Snake (Amber)
1.0 G.Rosea (Hailey)
0.1 G.pulchra (Ebony)
0.1 Cat (Brea)
0.1 Dog (Mini Schnauzer (Rosie))
Wishlist: MBK, Avalanche Corn
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  22:41:14  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

We went to a place called White Post Farm a few years ago. They have a reptile house there and had handling sessions. My eldest son had a go handling one of the snakesand decided he wanted one. They had snakes for sale and all the equipment but I couldn't afford it all at the time. A couple of years later, my sister phoned and asked if Danny still wanted a snake. A work collegue of hers wanted a new home for her 18month old cornsnake which was coming complete with set-up so of course I said yes. So Alice came to live with us and after a few adjustments to the set-up (thermostat, digital thermometer, extra hide etc), we were smitten. Izzy followed 2 1/2 months later and the addiction kicked in.

I have also got a gorgeous 9yr old cat called Kizzy who I rescued at 12 weeks. And I have got a chocolate labrador puppy called Tyler who I foster on behalf of a Charity called Support Dogs who train assistance dogs for disabled people, people with epilepsy and children with autism. Tyler is my 9th foster for them. I love it.

Just thouht you might like to know kd that I raise money for support dogs......small world!

Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  22:41:48  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

quote:

Just thought you might like to know kd that I raise money for support dogs......small world!

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  23:10:58  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

quote:

Just thouht you might like to know kd that I raise money for support dogs......small world!

Hey that's fantastic. It really is a small world. They are such a small charity that not many people outside of sheffield know about them. Everyone knows the big ones like Dogs for disabled, guide dogs, hearing dogs etc so I am glad we are getting known further afield. Let me know if there is ever anything you are doing n I will help in any way I can

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000